PlayStation 4 Camera Includes Voice Recognition

joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Accessory offers everything from “navigational voice commands to ? recognition.”

A listing on Amazon suggests that the PlayStation 4 camera will offer voice recognition. A bullet point on the peripheral’s product notes suggests that “from navigational voice commands to ? recognition, the PlayStation Camera adds incredible innovation to your gaming.”

If true, this confirms the feature first suggested by a Sony job listing in May for a “Speech Recognition Intern.” It also means further parity between PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, as Microsoft’s new console offers voice recognition via Kinect (though that feature will only be available in five markets at launch).

At present, the PlayStation 4 camera is not included with the console, and IGN sources suggested earlier this year that Sony removed it from the box in order to beat Microsoft on price. However, a retail listing that appeared this morning suggests that a bundle featuring the accessory and Killzone: Shadow Fall could be incoming for the same price as Xbox One.

We’ve reached out to Sony for clarification and additional information about voice recognition using the PlayStation 4 camera and will update this story with any comment we receive. Until then, find out more about PS4’s features in our PlayStation 4 wiki.

Comments

• Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • joshuaboy
    XB1 can do this too you know :-B
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sony has the most complete console with the best prices and value.Its smart not to force the camera and offer it separately and in a bundle.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlayStation 4 Camera Includes Voice Recognition, but PlayStation 4 doesn't include camera.

See the problem here?

• focus
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    focus wrote: »
    PlayStation 4 Camera Includes Voice Recognition, but PlayStation 4 doesn't include camera.

See the problem here?

Because Sony doesn't force you to purchase OPTIONAL equipment for features you might will never use. Choices.

Fixed.

• Karl.

See the problem here?

Because Sony doesn't force you to purchase OPTIONAL equipment for features you might never use. Choices.

Nah. You don't have to buy it. The Xbox one is a premium console at a premium price.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lmao Sony prob buying old kinects from game stop.
  • Karl.
    It probably won't work near as good as kinect. Probably why Sony isn't pushing it.
  • joshuaboy
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^
    more like
    tumblr_ml2ploL8X61qg4vcvo1_1280.jpg

ill let you ? decide who's who.
  • joshuaboy
    ^ ^ ^

Supergirl talks with a Welsh accent and Wonder Woman is an Amazon so she black, that leaves .......

Batgirl being the most technical one ........
  • Karl.
    I'm happy with that.
  • joshuaboy
    Karl. wrote: »

See the problem here?

Because Sony doesn't force you to purchase OPTIONAL equipment for features you might never use. Choices.

Nah. You don't have to buy it. The Xbox one is a premium console at a premium price.

Wasn't this the case this gen with the PS3 .......... but you called it overpriced and said they "forced" you to buy a BR player
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love focus. M$ gives you the pointless choice between rechargeable batteries or regular double AA batteries for the controller -> Choice is always good. Sony gives you the option to choose whether or not you get the Eye 2 -> Choice sucks.

On topic, anybody who didn't think this would be the case was an idiot. Voice recognition isn't even a difficult thing to do these days. If the Eye 2 didn't come out of the box with the capability, you can bet it would have been patched in at some time.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love focus.

no we don't. that big nosed woman can go choke on a wiimote.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinect is nothing buy a PlayStationEye anyway. People forget that SOny and Nintendo both turned down the device from the third party company that created it. MS did not create Kinect internally or had anything to do with its development. They just bought the idea because the other two passed ...and for good reason. I will not be purchasing the Eye, but I am glad that it is optional and those who want it can buy the PS4 and Eye together and they are still cheaper than the XboxOne. Sony is killing it right now. How can people continue to hate?
  • focus
    edited September 2013
    Gotta love focus. M$ gives you the pointless choice between rechargeable batteries or regular double AA batteries for the controller -> Choice is always good. Sony gives you the option to choose whether or not you get the Eye 2 -> Choice sucks.

You still salty about the XBOX One controller being perfect? LOL.

Look, one impacts gameplay/UI...the other does not. No one will buy, use or develop for Eye, just like the last two gens. Sony is not supporting it. No matter what outdated tech is built into the PlayStation camera, none of it is built into the actual console so It will flop. Period.

It is what it is.
  • Karl.

See the problem here?

Wasn't this the case this gen with the PS3 .......... but you called it overpriced and said they "forced" you to buy a BR player

I didn't say that ? .

I actually bought one but sold it because I played my Xbox way more. I have a Sony bluray player though.
  • Karl.

On topic, anybody who didn't think this would be the case was an idiot. Voice recognition isn't even a difficult thing to do these days. If the Eye 2 didn't come out of the box with the capability, you can bet it would have been patched in at some time.

Choice here does suck IMO. Everyone will choose not to buy it. So it will flop and there won't be any decent voice/motion controlled games. Developers won't risk it.

Xbox guarantees to developers that everyone will have a kinect.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

You still salty about the XBOX One controller being perfect? LOL.

Look, one impacts gameplay/UI...the other does not. No one will buy, use or develop for Eye, just like the last two gens. Sony is not supporting it. No matter what outdated tech is built into the PlayStation camera, none of it is built into the actual console so It will flop. Period.

It is what it is.

Choice here does suck IMO. Everyone will choose not to buy it. So it will flop and there won't be any decent voice/motion controlled games. Developers won't risk it.

Xbox guarantees to developers that everyone will have a kinect.

I don't think either of these lines of thinking are valid. It's silly to even bring up the PS2 era Eye because it was basically an afterthought that generation and very little was put into making use of it. In the current generation the Move was tacked on, so again it wasn't developed as well as it could have been. Next generation, Sony has already put support behind the Eye 2 and it's development. So the quality of its usage and the way it is integrated will automatically be better.

Also, I fail to see how integrating the Kinect with the XB1 will make people like Motion Controls in games any better. If people really aren't interested in those kinds of games, they aren't going to buy them just because the kinect is pacaged with the system. Not to mention that forcing that functionality into other games isn't exactly going to endear the games to people.

On the flipside, people who want to play those kinds of games on the PS4 will get the Eye. It's that simple. If no one wants it, then it failing is no big deal. That said, I'm not convinced it will fail. After all, there is a market for it even among PS faithfuls. Also, as I pointed out before, Sony has already invested in making the Eye 2 a better peripheral. If they've done enough to make it interesting, people will buy the Eye 2. Honestly, it shouldn't be that hard for them.
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think what's lost with the kinect thing is that it will be an integral part of making your experience streamlined tenfold. the eye will be to yall what kinect 1 was to 360.. an after thought that is cool for family type things. Kinect 2 is way more than that dunnies
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree there is a lot more reason to try and integrate it with games if Devs know everyone has it. if you dont see that youre a fool. If MS makes a SKU without Kinect they will really shoot themselves in the foot. So i look forward to even cross platform games to have an Xbox spin to them.
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to mention that forcing that functionality into other games isn't exactly going to endear the games to people.

you must have never played a "kinect enabled" game before.. there is nothing forced on you, just optional things that ADD to the experience of the game. for example on splintercell if you have a kinect, instead of the typical noise maker on gadgets, you can record your own sound to be played to distract people.. on madden you can do voice audibles, things like that..