Should Test Have Gotten a Push vs. HHH in 1999?

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator

Comments

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    hell na imo i might catch flack for this but back in 99 test was a b level star at best

Austin
    Rock
    HHH
    Taker
    Kane
    Show
    Mankind
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Hhh was the same level as test pre first title reign in 99 which is essentially what theyre talking bout but we saw glimpses in summerslam with hhh vs austin...
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    test lost majorly after that marriage angle wiht steph/triple h

he shouldve killed that hoe to save face

? take yo girl
    out wrestles you
    burys you overtime
    make you seem like a canadian mark

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes. I hate non wrestlers in main events. It's an attitude era staple too much McMahon involvement.

The story works the exact same way if you put Vince in Test corner. You elevate a new star and Steph turns on her "husband" and daddy in one fell swoop.

I've never been a huge fan of Test, considering I think he just screams Kevin Nash minus the charisma but the set up was perfect and they botched it.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Whats even wirse im pretty sure Hhh is 3-O in handicap matches vs Test & Albert CLEAN.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they shoulda put him over in that situation imo
  • Copper
    Options
    Booker shoulda def went over triple h n their died though
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Test shoulda been pushed more...PERIOD
  • Trollio
    Options
    test finishing move was nice too
    he just lost his ? and career in one bad angle
  • Copper
    Options
    Two etherous moments I remember from test career is

The rock cutting a promo and mocking his overbite

Triple h mushing him into a door way after he talked back...( after he took Stephanie and beat him n a feud)
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    Hhh was the same level as test pre first title reign in 99 which is essentially what theyre talking bout but we saw glimpses in summerslam with hhh vs austin...

Nah bruh he wasn't. HHH was already solidified as the antagonist for both Austin and especially Rocky by that point in time. By comparison Test's most notable role at the time besides being Steph's loverboy was as a member of The Union. They were on 2 completely different planes of existence.
  • Broddie
    Options
    RawAce wrote: »
    Test shoulda been pushed more...PERIOD

Yeah I could agree with this. The guy was a decent worker and he had that look and size to become another Nash if they had pushed him right.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    KingGivBiz wrote: »

Nah bruh he wasn't. HHH was already solidified as the antagonist for both Austin and especially Rocky by that point in time. By comparison Test's most notable role at the time besides being Steph's loverboy was as a member of The Union. They were on 2 completely different planes of existence.
    Hhh wasnt Equal to The Rock until later in 99 after winning the belt for the first tim with Austin being out. Then the Rock becames Hhhs protagnist later in that year, where Hhh one a majority of those matches but this was all done after Hhh got with Steph. Two different points in the transition. They were both Corporate Ministry just b4 that un early 99 while Austin Foley and The Rock taking care of the main event
  • dalyricalbandit
    Options
    Early 99 HHH was upper mid carder (above IC but not WWF Champ material) Test was straight sunday night heat.

by SummerSlam HHH was in the WWF title bout, won the belt the next ppv and was in 3/4 WWF title matches to end the year.

Test was either not on the ppv or was in a tag match.

by the next year it was a wrap HHH became the real life Undertaker and Test became T&A with albert and trish

Could Test have been the next big man sure but son ended up being washed and a tag team dude, never really a main event material
  • Broddie
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Nah man. Granted I haven't watched any of that stuff in over 15 years so I'm going off memory. But HHH and The Rock have been rivals since their IC feuds in late 97 and throughout 1998. When Rocky wasn't going up against Austin or even Foley by late 1998 when he was the corporate champ he was going up against Trips.

Why do you think the whole Nation Vs. DX thing happened in the first place? HHH had been Rocky's Lex Luthor pretty much his whole career and by late '99 and throughout 2000 it peaked but that was because there had been precedent built up from the 2 years before. Test was never dominating in the upper mid card like HHH was before he became WWF champ.
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall must of been in diapers in '99 cause I remember Test being over huge during that timeframe.
  • Broddie
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I watched the entire Attitude era when it actually happened from age 14 in '97 to age 17 in 2000. Test was NOT upper mid card status. HHH was. So what if he was over he was still not on HHH's level. A lot of lower card people were over back then from Al Snow to ? freaking Holly and even Gangrel because everybody had a storyline and got TV time when Russo was writing.

I remember Steve Blackman and Ken Shamrock used to get crazy pops in some arenas when they used to roll together. Doesn't mean they were on the same level as HHH though. HHH was arguably (cause of Foley) the 3rd face of the Attitude era for a reason and that has to do with the fact that he had a lot of the most memorable moments during that time as far back as when he went from the posh connecticut aristorcrat to Shawn Michaels' lacky in the beginning of that era.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was hard to not be over during the AE so being over wasnt really an issue for Test. The issue was the company treated him like ? and thus we remember that, if he had gotten that push I think we would remember him differently from that era.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dude had a dope theme on the low
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    test is aight but u cant hate dat ? though
    he pull all da bad ? mah brothas!
    Stephanie-McMahon-Feet-173090.jpg
    trish-stratus-11.jpg
    StacyThong3.jpg
  • Trollio
    Options
    and he lost every last one of them
  • dalyricalbandit
    edited August 2013
    Options
    man oh man what i wouldve done to Steph in that time period
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Na Test was part of that angle to boost how much of a badass HHH is and was, that was all part of the storyline. Test was a midcarder and always will be. Sheamus would have been a midcarder if it was 99 and this just goes to show the quality of wrestling between now and the attitude era.