Options
2»

Comments

• rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Missed wide open dunk/lay-up
    They are equally bad at that level....but the missed dunk is worse.

1) With the dunk, it's the completition of the play, there is no continuation of the play. So your not thinking about anything post dunk. With a catch you still have to worry about what's going to happen next. Even when it's a wide open catch you still have to continue the play in some way or another.

2) When your dunking you have possession of the ball, you have control over the ball to the end of the play. With a catch you rely on the QB to make the proper throw and all sorts of ? can happen with the elements when the ball is in the air.

Lastly there are far more wide open catches dropped than there are wide open missed dunks.
  • windycity2117
    windycity2117 Members Posts: 9,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was playing ball on Tuesday dude on my team had a fast brake lay up. He was by himself down there. He missed it the other team got the ball came down hit a 3. 5 point swing & we lost. I was so damn mad.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq3nvSyuWEg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3NvhxKicJY

layups are da easiest shots in basketball to miss em on dis level is embarassing lls
  • OhPee
    OhPee Members Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Dropped wide open pass
    missed dunks/layups can happen....you being careless or going up with too much intensity.

dropping a pass wide open, to me, means your scared of something.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dropped wide open pass
    One play in football can have a much bigger and detrimental effect on a games result than a single play in basketball

One dropped td pass in the first qt of a game can be the difference between a w and a l you can't say the same for anything in basketba
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You already have ball when dunking. That's about control, athleticism, and knowing your own limits.

Dropping a wide open pass is bad but if it has some heat on it or is a bomb down field, I can understand.
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dropped wide open pass
    Dropping at wide open pass because defenses will adjust to make sure you dont have a chance like that again.
  • will grimey
    will grimey Members Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NYETOPn wrote: »
    Dropped passes have caused etherous moments, though:

steve-johnson-drop-avi.gif

alg-buffalo-bills-steve-johnson-jpg.jpg

ku-medium.jpg

As have missed layups...

Juro1FD.gif

e6CNFdD.gif

Serge-Ibaka-reaction-640x356.jpg

tumblr_mm1z2gQBBC1qzaoamo2_500.jpg

Serge-Ibaka-hiding-his-face-640x356.jpg

BJCsiKACIAA0iMp.jpg:large

1iHgn6s.jpg
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Carlos ? the king of missed layups and dunks
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Dropped wide open pass
    Even the GOAT missed a dunk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGbe_ewotVg

but a open pass is worse
  • Carthaginian
    Carthaginian Members Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dropped wide open pass
    Idk...difficult question. I think a wide-open dropped pass is worse, slightly...if only because you have 10 other guys on the field who've executed their part in the play perfectly, and your role at that stage is just to complete it by catching the ball....if you do drop it, you've got 20 angry pairs of eyes.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothing comes close to a air ball freethrow
  • Ghost Leopard
    Ghost Leopard Members Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dropped wide open pass
    Buckets are takeover relatively easier to come by so a missed layup can be made up in the next possession or two. Miss a layup get a rip or a block on the other end, you good.

You miss a wide open pass it throw off the offense, the crowd, and often means the end for the possession for that team when catching the pass coulda been six or a new set of downs.
    Now you go to the bench, camera on you, coach pullin you to the side. ? gotta be the woat feeling.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thinks its equal, if you drop a open pass in football it hurts your team way more than missing a layup/dunk in basketball, but if miss a layup/dunk it's more embarrassing and is one of those blooper moments....

So it really depends on how you ask the question...

Which is worse for the team = dropped open pass

Which is worse as far as embarrassment = missed layup/dunk
  • Ghost Leopard
    Ghost Leopard Members Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dropped wide open pass
    That ? you never see play any other time except when it's against comp he clearly got advantage over. ? only plays against asians and mexicans and ? .
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Freudian wrote: »
    Idk...difficult question. I think a wide-open dropped pass is worse, slightly...if only because you have 10 other guys on the field who've executed their part in the play perfectly, and your role at that stage is just to complete it by catching the ball....if you do drop it, you've got 20 angry pairs of eyes.

lol... any number of things can go wrong and a player still be wide open with the ball coming his way..