Is MMG dead?

Options

Comments

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell No
    the only advantage they really have is higher charting singles, fat joe and pun went plat once and gold once with 12 albums between them, ross has gon gold on every album, wale went gold on ambition, self made 2 sold 270,000 to date outselling terror squad the album in a time where record sales are harder to come by and with no huge hits
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh Maybe
    I never ? with MMG so my opinion doesnt really count
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Yes
    it's a wrap:

Triple C's
    Gunplay
    Wale
    Stalley
    Omarion
    Meek
    Chief Deputy

LOL at ? holdin out for hope...

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Yes
    V$VP wrote: »
    Pretty Much
    ? Got Banned From His Own Franchise
    BSXhAvSIcAAtaQN.jpg

Oh ?
  • Jungz
    Jungz Members Posts: 991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MMG been dyin since they dropped Bag of Money as a single, saw it floppin, and put been dead ass T Pain on the hook.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh Maybe
    The untouchable maybach empire

Don't know why I laugh when I see/hear ross say that
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cosign this thread 100%.

But the REAL reason MMG is slowly falling off is because all the little L's Rick Ross has taken. Think about it, the whole C.O. situation (wasn't very little though) didn't ? him, but definitely hurt his image. Then the real Rick Ross taking shots at him every chance he get in interviews. Gunplay gettin his azz whooped at the BET award show. Ross getting shot at in the whip. He telling Jeezy, "we not pushin that back" when talking about his release date (when he thought Jeezy's buzz was dyin) only to have Def JAm push GFID back right after.

But the the DEATH BLOW was that GD situation. The ? can never talk that gangsta ? like that after getting chased by them GD's. Fans have it in the back of they minds "aint that the same Rick Ross that ran from them GD's, GTFOH!!". MMG running low on credibility
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh Maybe
    Nobody cares about gds
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The GD's never chased him or anybody in MMG...

Anyways...It's just quiet over there right now from an overall view...When MMG as a label was "hot" it was cause Meek, Wale, Ross, and to a lesser degree Pill and Magazeen were all makin noise...They all had singles buzzin, there was excitement and energy...They can do it again, and soon as they do, this thread will be irrelevant...

But yeah...Ross's health, the label switch, and the fact that I think they realized they were moving at a faster pace than they could really maintain just slowed down the momentum...
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where's the "Who Knows?" option?

It only takes one hit record.

Word to Memph Bleek
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i doubt it but the movement def has slowed a bit ... but all them dudes are indy hustlers they can never ever be counted out ... and it maybe getting bigger if stalley some how pulls off the unthinkable ... he can either add to what they already accomplished or push them to the next level i guess we shall see ....

• antarticp
    Options
    hahanope wrote: »
    You ? want Young Money and MMG gone so bad lol
    Don't forget Taylor Gang lol

who ?? lol

• antarticp
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Interesting.... so when an artist isn't visible for a few weeks their dead ? hmmmm really proving the old adage that rap fans are fickle. I don't think they're dead, hell Ross, Meek, Wale, Stalley and them still make headlines and can still sell out a venue in 10 minutes.

I do however, think their fame is beginning to wane tho. I don't think Ross really cares cuz he has money and so long as Meek, Wale and his young bucks put out music and win he'll continue to take a piece off their plate. They remind me a lot of the Dipset in the early 2000s, they don't or haven't done anything groundbreaking to really solidify their spot. Even musically, Ross is horribly mediocre. They'll fade - they all do but it'll prolly be a while before it's felt.

stretchhhhhhhhhhhhh theres variables to that ? lol

• antarticp
    Options
    I personally think their absence is a Positive because they was suffering from Oversaturation. As long as when they reappear they have some heat and not the same Generic bs.

good observation can agree with this comment
  • antarticp
    edited September 2013
    Options
    ? keep bringin up terror squad with these other groups, i dont understand why tho?! u can take them out and put mmg up there tbh, and nah they not dead last album that came out on the label went number 1, slowing down maybe, but not dead yet

+ terror squad wasnt put together like MMG ... MMG in the sense of how it was put together is ground breaking and was never down prior ... usually artist like Ross builds a team full of rappers he came up with IE Carol City ....... But he monitored the game for some of the best indy and free agent talent and built MMG off of that .... which imo was brilliant ... cause hes got a team of dudes that are TTG ... trained to go ... they were already buzzing or had a serious grind with them ...... they didnt just come to the table with TALENT and needed to be taught the rest ...... they had it all music knowledge as well as business knowledge ...... now you see others doing the same like TI .... its a better investment .......
  • antarticp
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »

Anyways...It's just quiet over there right now from an overall view...When MMG as a label was "hot" it was cause Meek, Wale, Ross, and to a lesser degree Pill and Magazeen were all makin noise...They all had singles buzzin, there was excitement and energy...They can do it again, and soon as they do, this thread will be irrelevant...

But yeah...Ross's health, the label switch, and the fact that I think they realized they were moving at a faster pace than they could really maintain just slowed down the momentum...

ha ha burnin that bag of money and the money aint coming back in fast enuff ..................

• antarticp
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »

right mofoz love throwing some tmz type monkey wrench into the situation lol

• tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell No
    Cosign this thread 100%.

But the REAL reason MMG is slowly falling off is because all the little L's Rick Ross has taken. Think about it, the whole C.O. situation (wasn't very little though) didn't ? him, but definitely hurt his image. Then the real Rick Ross taking shots at him every chance he get in interviews. Gunplay gettin his azz whooped at the BET award show. Ross getting shot at in the whip. He telling Jeezy, "we not pushin that back" when talking about his release date (when he thought Jeezy's buzz was dyin) only to have Def JAm push GFID back right after.

But the the DEATH BLOW was that GD situation. The ? can never talk that gangsta ? like that after getting chased by them GD's. Fans have it in the back of they minds "aint that the same Rick Ross that ran from them GD's, GTFOH!!". MMG running low on credibility

Co-Sign.

what MMG needs right now is better music and take themselves seriously.

• tupacfan35
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Hell No
    sully wrote: »
    ? keep bringin up terror squad with these other groups, i dont understand why tho?! u can take them out and put mmg up there tbh, and nah they not dead last album that came out on the label went number 1, slowing down maybe, but not dead yet

Terror Squad have been bigger and more popular than MMG.

Fat Joe's gone gold and plat.

Big Pun went plat and gold.

Terror Squad: The Album sold 250,000 (more than any MMG group album thus far)

and True Story went gold with a hit arguably bitter than anything that's come out of the MMG camp.

Not to mention all the singles that Terror Squad have produced that have been bigger than anything out of MMG.

The REAL terror squad died thanks to fat joe, big pun's domestic violence and his death.

not to mention liza rios.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Meh Maybe

yeah but mmg actually gives 90% of their artists release dates. cant say the same about ymcmb

ymcmb is pretty much gone and drake and nicki are the only rappers that have careers. let me know when lil twis, bow wow, lil cuchkee, corey gunz or any more of those no name rappers has a single on the charts again lol
  • tupacfan35
    Options
    Hell No
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

yeah but mmg actually gives 90% of their artists release dates. cant say the same about ymcmb

ymcmb is pretty much gone and drake and nicki are the only rappers that have careers. let me know when lil twis, bow wow, lil cuchkee, corey gunz or any more of those no name rappers has a single on the charts again lol

Too much competition in the game, not to mention oversaturation and overexposure.

• CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh Maybe
    Nah they won't die.

H-Rap and Gee wouldn't let that happen.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Meh Maybe
    tupacfan35 wrote: »

Too much competition in the game, not to mention oversaturation and overexposure.

the competition in the rap game is not really that stiff tho lol lets be honest. the bad choices of picking reject artists and the inability to promote and develop the artist is why a label exist. MMG does this the best of many of the new labels and ymcmb is the best example of not doing those things.
  • tupacfan35
    Options
    Hell No

the competition in the rap game is not really that stiff tho lol lets be honest. the bad choices of picking reject artists and the inability to promote and develop the artist is why a label exist. MMG does this the best of many of the new labels and ymcmb is the best example of not doing those things.

Your wrong, MMG got the death blow and so did YMCMB.
    The GD's and Lil Wayne dissing miami heat really ruined their chances at being on top.
    TDE is next.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the only advantage they really have is higher charting singles, fat joe and pun went plat once and gold once with 12 albums between them, ross has gon gold on every album, wale went gold on ambition, self made 2 sold 270,000 to date outselling terror squad the album in a time where record sales are harder to come by and with no huge hits

Ross and Wale have shipped gold. They haven't sold gold on every album.

- 12 albums between Joe and Pun, but we're talking about Terror Squad when they were Terror Squad, i.e., everything prior to Pun's death (in which case we could probably exclude Joe's platinum album), but that still places them higher than an MMG, IMO, b/c of the big deal a Latin going platinum was. It was monumental and as a group they've been influential to the point where they've influenced and brought along enough artists that did their own thing (successfully or otherwise).

Joell Ortiz, DJ Khaled, Pitbull, Reggaeton Nore, Remy Martin, the continued relevance of Fat Joe post-TS, were all results of that short era of Terror Squad.

and like I said, MMG has had some appeal, selling gold on some of their albums, but a lot of that, like I referred to and others have mentioned, more likely a result of their independent grind than their affiliation with MMG.

The one thing about TS though, is that, unlike almost all those other labels, they actually were a group (with Fat Joe added later). Pun, Prospect, Cuban Link, Triple Seis, and I think Armageddon were the Full-A-Clipse crew before they got signed by Fat Joe, and even then, Joe seamlessly joined the group and actually sounded like he belonged.

Their group work on that first album and on Don Cartagena and Capital Punishment sounded like a cohesive group that was fluid with their lyrics, unlike most labels who put out group albums, where you can tell the mish-mash of sounds and styles are put together after the artists have already established their styles.