Musical Geniuses...

Options
13»

Comments

• Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok i know i didnt just read Mac Miller in this thread

Yall gon ? around and make me drop a blackgod813 type a rant that no one understands
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I said..."Soon to be"...I know it sound like a super reach buf Mac got a lotta facets to his talent...I ain't usta like dude, but when I peep what he doin now objectively, he gon be a problem...He just still honing the skills...
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall know how many creative geniuses don't gain recognition for their craft because they was too far ahead of their time right? Do yall think there's any artists in hip hop or any other genre that's not really respected right now but in hindsight will be looked at as brilliant?
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    I said..."Soon to be"...I know it sound like a super reach buf Mac got a lotta facets to his talent...I ain't usta like dude, but when I peep what he doin now objectively, he gon be a problem...He just still honing the skills...

Aight I respect that but I disagree
  • Plocc67
    Plocc67 Members Posts: 5
    Options
    I think to be considered a musical genius you have to play at least one instrument. Yes turntables, mpc's count too. As great as MJ was I don't think he played a instrument. QJ was behind a lot of that greatness. I pretty much agree with most of the names mentioned. But ? should slap themselves for not mentioning Dr. DRE. Id also like to add Battlecat and Daz.
  • nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hip hop is filled with followers. musical geniuses are leaders and innovators. the roots for example created something outside of 'the box' while 'the box' was still being established.
    genus is a strong word tho. great musicans are generally not genius. their more creative. just like genius' generally arent very creative.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nyst8ofmin wrote: »
    hip hop is filled with followers. musical geniuses are leaders and innovators. the roots for example created something outside of 'the box' while 'the box' was still being established.
    genus is a strong word tho. great musicans are generally not genius. their more creative. just like genius' generally arent very creative.

I think the bold is false
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Jimmy Jam/Terry Lewis

*pours out liqour for all the "geniuses" departed*

JUSTICE League

Horrible list but what annoys me the most is the fact that you could have condensed your list into one post but chose not to.
    N YO HOOD wrote: »
    Thete are no rappers in this category

So called hip-hop heads have an inferiority complex when it comes to music (and poor proofreading skills.)
    Anyway, I think the way Rakim innovated rhyme schemes in the late 80's is genius. Probably the biggest technical breakthrough we've seen in poetry in ages. What GZA did in "labels" and Canibus did in "Poet Laureate" are all examples of ingenuity to me. Rapper ingenuity is going to be shown and appreciated differently than any other music genre.
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plocc67 wrote: »
    I think to be considered a musical genius you have to play at least one instrument. Yes turntables, mpc's count too. As great as MJ was I don't think he played a instrument. QJ was behind a lot of that greatness. I pretty much agree with most of the names mentioned. But ? should slap themselves for not mentioning Dr. DRE. Id also like to add Battlecat and Daz.

I already know the answer to this, but why?

Cuz if it's about him not making his own beats than that's out of the window.

#1 He has done records before.
    #2 Producer is an arranger. Just like a director is to a movie. Hip-Hop just changed the definition of what a producer is.
    #3 If that's what you base it on then Quincy ain't a genius either cuz even tho he could play certain instruments (just like Dre can) but didn't do all of his music but produced then he ain't one either, right?
    #4 Your favorite hip-hop producer have done the same before. Why? Cuz again, y'all gotta know what a producer is.
    #4 DJ Quik is one of my favorite artists/producers. El Debarge played the keys behind a few of his beats, even tho Quik can play, so does that mean he stole it? His man Black Tone played certain instruments at times to & came up with certain melodies..is that stealing? is that taking credit?
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ray Charles
    Elton John wasn't mentioned
  • mawkdawg
    mawkdawg Members Posts: 34
    edited July 2013
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    I assumed hip hop heads listened to R&B and other ? ...but if ? C is a 'genius' (r.i.p.) ...i mean, wtf?! Lol

Ppl sleep on ? c cuz they don't kno his history he came from a musical background his father played trumpet w/likes of Solomon Burke, ? c himself produced, rapped, sung hooks, played live instruments on most ugk albums he also studied music theory & wrote music giving ugk that familiar jazz-like sound accomponied by that nasal bluesy voice... Jus pointing that out but my choice would be.........

Patrice Rushen She truly does it all as far as music goes & I think she goes under the radar sometimes.She was the 1st female musical director for the Grammys(3 consecutive yrs) & the NAACP image awards(12 consecutive yrs) also musical director of the Emmys(1st woman in 43 yrs). My General Music teacher who was also the band director turn me on to her, that ? was low-key obsessed w/her LOL.. Check her stats tho
  • Sweat jones
    Sweat jones Members Posts: 641 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Sweat jones
    Sweat jones Members Posts: 641 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Quincy jones for sure

Nile Rodgers from chic

Ray allen

James brown

Ray charles

Lauren hill