Aldon Smith vows to "fix" problem

Options
FlightKing
FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9708209/aldon-smith-san-francisco-49ers-indefinitely

"Aldon Smith vows to "fix" problem"

49ers%20Aldon%20Smith%20DUI%20Arrest.JPEG-00c15.jpg

Aldon+Smith+_QbqwUWxHo7m.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco linebacker Aldon Smith will miss Thursday night's game at St. Louis and perhaps sit out longer, 49ers CEO Jed York said Sunday.

Smith will seek treatment following his arrest Friday for suspicion of driving under the influence looking like a damn fool. After Sunday's loss to the Colts, Smith apologized and acknowledged he will get help, but didn't field questions.

"First off, I wanted to apologize to the team, the organization, my family and everybody I let down," he said. "I also wanted to let it be known that this is a problem and it's something that I will get fixed, and that I'll do everything in my power to make sure that this never happens again.

"I also wanted to let everybody know that once again I'm sorry."

Therefore, Smith's well-being is taking priority before any punitive measures are enforced.

York expects Smith to get help, but the 49ers won't interfere.

"I think Aldon is going to take steps on his own," York said. "We're not worried about that."

"It will be indefinite," York said. "There's no timetable."

"I think this was the best thing for Aldon," York said. "Again, there's no right answer here. We're very fortunate that nobody got hurt, Aldon included and anybody else. And we want to make sure that Aldon is never in a position like this again."

"It was disappointing, but we support him, and knowing that what he wants to do is not a one-day fix, it's a long-term fix for Aldon," York said. "Aldon is willing to fight for himself and try to make this right, and I will see it through, and I will support him. I will take any shots that anybody wants to direct at the organization. They can direct at me, and I will support Aldon as long as he is willing to work at this and fight to get better."

sean_patrick_thomas_michael_ealy_eve_ice_cube_troy_garity_cedric_the_entertainer_leonard_earl_howze_001.jpg

UPDATE:
Associated Press: The ? may even work on his drinking problem, but that's neither here nor there.

Comments