Jordan: I could have taken LeBron

Options
dc's teflondon
dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Michael Jordan believes he could have beaten LeBron James in a game of one-on-one when he was in his prime.

He's not sure about Kobe Bryant.

In a video promoting the "NBA 2K14" video game that is being released Tuesday, Jordan said there's a long list of players he would've liked to have played one-on-one -- Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Julius Erving, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade, Bryant and James, who is on the cover of this year's game.

"I don't think I would lose," Jordan says in the video, before smiling and adding, "other than to Kobe Bryant, because he steals all of my moves."

Jordan also said the game was much more physical when he played than it is today.

"You go in with the understanding of 'I'm going to get hit. I'm going to pay the price,'" he said. "But that's part of the game. I'm not going to be afraid to go inside. Those are the types of things that these kids don't even have a clue of how we had to grow up and how we had to play."

Jordan, a six-time NBA champion and considered by many the greatest player ever, said he only talked trash to his friends.

"I didn't talk trash to people I didn't know," he said.

Jordan has had a sponsorship deal with 2K Sports since 2011, when he first appeared on the cover of the popular game.

The 50-year-old Jordan, who was a five-time league MVP, also shared the cover in 2012 with Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

This year will be the first time on the cover for James, a four-time league MVP who has led the Miami Heat to back-to-back NBA championships.

Comments

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common knowledge. Dudes who know basketball know Lebron is not that good of a 1v1 player. Jordan would embarrass him, and that's simply the truth. It's not close.

Jordan vs. Kobe is the ultimate match-up. I give the slight nod to Kobe. And Baylor would probably be the 2nd closest, maybe Dr.J. The rest of them dudes are lite work.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not surprising almost every NBA legend has said that.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL MJ been made insecure as ? these days. He picks Kobe because he knows Kobe is a lesser version of him, he knows Lebron walks his own path and stand a good chance of having a greater career than him.

As for one on one, ? acting like Lebron still can't shoot. Jordan ain't gonna have ? for Lebron's size and leaping ability in the post. Dude is 3 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier with MJ's quickness and leaping.

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In before the stats, YouTube videos, and gifs
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder how many times a week he's asked that question?
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gettin tired of the him vs lebron fantasy ?
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jordan needs to learn how to be graceful like Bill Russell, then again MJ has never stood for anything other than self promotion.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    LOL MJ been made insecure as ? these days. He picks Kobe because he knows Kobe is a lesser version of him, he knows Lebron walks his own path and stand a good chance of having a greater career than him.

As for one on one, ? acting like Lebron still can't shoot. Jordan ain't gonna have ? for Lebron's size and leaping ability in the post. Dude is 3 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier with MJ's quickness and leaping.

projecting on your first paragraph much....

Bron is not as quick as mike.. he might not even be as fast.. but he definitely aint as quick.. why am i discussing sports with you... KMS

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options

? GREATEST OF ALL TIME
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sorry, but Mike on that ? .

You don't hear Kareem talking about he'll beat Dwight's ass or Shaq, or whomever came up after him.

Dude's ego is Unicron-sized. Terrible.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Scalabrine the GOAT 1v1 player tho
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »

Ollie would eat Scalabrine's lunch.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2k sports asks mike a question.He answers by naming current players and past players he think he could beat

"Jordan: I could have taken LeBron"

^Putting this in the thread title generates more views and as you can see more emotion from the idiots who clearly can't see how the quote was taken out of context
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »

You don't hear Kareem talking about he'll beat Dwight's ass or Shaq, or whomever came up after him.

Well to be fair he's specifically being asked how he'd match up so it's not a matter of ego if he thinks he'd beat them.

Now that said, him believing that the only one who would have a shot at beating him is the one that copied him is some major ego.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BDB wrote: »
    coop9889 wrote: »

Ollie would eat Scalabrine's lunch.

Already.

kevin-ollie-co-sign-o.gif
  • Crimson11
    Crimson11 Members Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options

Get out of your feelings, the ? did you expect him to say, and when he made that comment about Kobe , he was really taking a swipe at him for being a copy cat.

you would be wrong, Kareem used to ? on Wilt any chance he got, He's ? on shaq before, and he recently ? on dwight when he left the Lakers...
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1269337691_guy-walks-in-on-obamas-speech.gif

Not this ? again
This discussion has been closed.