Black American or African American?

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »
    how about Human? or if we want to base things on where someone descended from in history then everyone here is a African American...
    The other races became what they are when their ancestors left africa so they are not african
    But they descended from Africa, so by the logic being presented here they also are African American or of African descent. Since we of slave African descent share about equally in knowledge of our cultural and geographic background for the most part. By the logic for not allowing others to claim that same title based on genetic drift weagain of slave descent would be at a similar point of genetic drift on a scientific basis to the point of having developed features that separate us from our common ancestors while still retaining others that are teh same. How much time will have to pass before quantification as a distinct ethnic group will be required in your opinion???

It does not matter where they decended from they originated/evolved outside of africa there ancestor were from africa but not them, the environment of other continents made them into what they are. black/african people in the americas have only been here for about 500 years. We have not developed ANY real significant differences and phyically we are still the same as most africans born in africa. We are composed of different ethnic groups but we are still under the african umbrella. White people however are a totally different group of people AND IT TOOK much MUCH longer than 500 years for them to get that way It took 5000 years for humans to evolve white skin.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took even longer than that to be genetically diverse from Africans, probably like 25,000 years or so.

We are still very African, you can look at the continent and find people who look like all your relatives. Real ? .

I keep getting asked if I'm Nigerian or specifically Yoruba.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took even longer than that to be genetically diverse from Africans, probably like 25,000 years or so.

We are still very African, you can look at the continent and find people who look like all your relatives. Real ? .

I keep getting asked if I'm Nigerian or specifically Yoruba.

So true. I 've been asked TWICE this year if I speak English......
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    We have Islanders, indigenous Americans(particularly Southern Continent), Indians and Arabs with the same tone skin African Features but we still associate them with distinct groups. Africans of slave descent as a general population have developed different features both genetically and culturally with only sporadic occurrence of recessive traits. Even in Africa there are separate ethnic Groups such as the Arab and White Africans. Genetically a lot of Northern Africans Carry Features that is associated with Europeans particularly in Lighter skin Hair type and ? bone structuring. If you Follow the Mediterranean coast you can see the similarities in the populations...

I agree that it will probably be another couple hundred years before the pronunciation of the Slave descent population on the mainland has mixed and changed as much as has for our American Island Population(with the exception of Haiti) who all carry very African but also very non African features thus establishing a separate ethnic group. On some level every Culture in the world carries African features because it is written in their DNA as they all came from Africa. My question now is at what point of divergence till we either rejoin the Population or be recognized as a separate group? Europeans all share a similar stock but there is a vast Difference in a Nordic versus a Slavic European. Russia is not even geographically in Europe...

My overall point is those of us of slave descent lack a identity here and the reality of things is the majority will never rejoin Africa much less the regions tribes we descended from. For those that are not capable or desiring to relocate and become part of again a African Nationality what should we be called? I grasp that our community is a mockery and travesty not something most can be proud of to the point of wanting to claim another. So do we continue to run from it or take ownership and control of it? In the end all cultures came from somewhere else and in most cases consumed, destroyed and displaced even in Africa. If we can get out of the regional mentality and realize there is only one Race we all belong to that Race maybe able to achieve a whole lot more then it currently is...
  • zombie
    We have Islanders, indigenous Americans(particularly Southern Continent), Indians and Arabs with the same tone skin African Features but we still associate them with distinct groups. Africans of slave descent as a general population have developed different features both genetically and culturally with only sporadic occurrence of recessive traits. Even in Africa there are separate ethnic Groups such as the Arab and White Africans. Genetically a lot of Northern Africans Carry Features that is associated with Europeans particularly in Lighter skin Hair type and ? bone structuring. If you Follow the Mediterranean coast you can see the similarities in the populations...

I agree that it will probably be another couple hundred years before the pronunciation of the Slave descent population on the mainland has mixed and changed as much as has for our American Island Population(with the exception of Haiti) who all carry very African but also very non African features thus establishing a separate ethnic group. On some level every Culture in the world carries African features because it is written in their DNA as they all came from Africa. My question now is at what point of divergence till we either rejoin the Population or be recognized as a separate group? Europeans all share a similar stock but there is a vast Difference in a Nordic versus a Slavic European. Russia is not even geographically in Europe...

My overall point is those of us of slave descent lack a identity here and the reality of things is the majority will never rejoin Africa much less the regions tribes we descended from. For those that are not capable or desiring to relocate and become part of again a African Nationality what should we be called? I grasp that our community is a mockery and travesty not something most can be proud of to the point of wanting to claim another. So do we continue to run from it or take ownership and control of it? In the end all cultures came from somewhere else and in most cases consumed, destroyed and displaced even in Africa. If we can get out of the regional mentality and realize there is only one Race we all belong to that Race maybe able to achieve a whole lot more then it currently is...

east indians, arabs the indigenous american and berbers and european african are a different people even if they share some physical features with us. the similarity does not rise high enough for them to be considered african.

when you say islanders if you are talking about afro-west indians then we are even more african both culturally and genetically than african americans are. because it takes long periods of seperation between population for different races to be created and with the way the world works today, there will be no natural divergence. people are traveling and mixing like crazy especially in the west. So america most likely will end up like brazil with a large mixed race population, except with a whole lot more asian people.

GENETICALLY There is no vast difference between slavs/russians and nordics.

black american is the perfect name, if black means african outside of africa. or in other words so called african americans are africans with an american created culture that has lingering elements of african culture.

The whole one race thing is a fallacy.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

east indians, arabs the indigenous american and berbers and european african are a different people even if they share some physical features with us. the similarity does not rise high enough for them to be considered african.

when you say islanders if you are talking about afro-west indians then we are even more african both culturally and genetically than african americans are. because it takes long periods of seperation between population for different races to be created and with the way the world works today, there will be no natural divergence. people are traveling and mixing like crazy especially in the west. So america most likely will end up like brazil with a large mixed race population, except with a whole lot more asian people.

black american is the perfect name, if black means african outside of africa. or in other words so called african americans are africans with an american created culture that has lingering elements of african culture.

Well said.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (In the name of Allah the merciful, all praises due to Allah, Lord of all the worlds. The one ? to whom praise is due forever. The one who came to us in the person of Master Fard Muhammad and raised up the Honorable Elijah Muhammad. Amen.)
    American

You're not an American, you are the victim of America. You didn't have a choice coming over here. He didn't say, "Black man, black woman, come on over and help me build America". He said, "? , get down in the bottom of that boat and I'm taking you over there to help me build America". Being born here does not make you an American. I am not an American, you are not an American. You are one of the 22 million black people who are the *victims* of America.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should change the White folks name to "Pink Folks"
  • Jamaican Curry Bwoy
    Jamaican Curry Bwoy Members Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    (In the name of Allah the merciful, all praises due to Allah, Lord of all the worlds. The one ? to whom praise is due forever. The one who came to us in the person of Master Fard Muhammad and raised up the Honorable Elijah Muhammad. Amen.)
    American

You're not an American, you are the victim of America. You didn't have a choice coming over here. He didn't say, "Black man, black woman, come on over and help me build America". He said, "? , get down in the bottom of that boat and I'm taking you over there to help me build America". Being born here does not make you an American. I am not an American, you are not an American. You are one of the 22 million black people who are the *victims* of America.

I hear what you're saying, but countless African Americans had the option of leaving. Instead, they decided to stay, and try to make America a better place. And actually went through the abuse, more than you and me, so just to call them "victim" doesn't do them justice. They knew the odds, and were willing to fight it, they saw promise in the ideals.
  • Jamaican Curry Bwoy
    Jamaican Curry Bwoy Members Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    I'm African American. We were told to go back to Africa for years, then Angelina Jolie and Madonna adopt African kids and all of a sudden, Whites want to seperate who's African American and who's Black American?? Where the ? is Blackland or the country or continent of Black?? Can we pinpoint where in Africa we came from? For the vast majority of us, no, but my heart beats with the drums of Africa and my blood runs like the Nile. ? the ?

Yeah. Sure. Uh huh......:

http://youtu.be/K_rLRP709zU

• kingblaze84
    twatgetta wrote: »
    We should change the White folks name to "Pink Folks"

LMAO...........
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013

Russian/Slavics, Nordics, Arabs, Indians Mediterraneans etc all could be lumped together if you want to base it on a simplistic breakdown. But there is a noticeable difference and distinction between each group. All the separate cultures I acknowledge as such but Race is an illusion we are a species that has become self determining to the point of understanding genetic diversity, 99.8% of the same DNA is shared by all of us. We are all human race with a lot of mutations based on environment. If inferring the term African is about cultural Identity I ask at what point in development does one need to be recognized as a new Culture when the originating Culture no longer aligns other then on basic tenets and superficial appearances???
  • zombie

Russian/Slavics, Nordics, Arabs, Indians Mediterraneans etc all could be lumped together if you want to base it on a simplistic breakdown. But there is a noticeable difference and distinction between each group. All the separate cultures I acknowledge as such but Race is an illusion we are a species that has become self determining to the point of understanding genetic diversity, 99.8% of the same DNA is shared by all of us. We are all human race with a lot of mutations based on environment. If inferring the term African is about cultural Identity I ask at what point in development does one need to be recognized as a new Culture when the originating Culture no longer aligns other then on basic tenets and superficial appearances???

If you are asking me how long does it take for a new culture to be born then i can tell you that there is no set time limit. the romans thought of themselves as being roman not greek even though they were basically the same culture so just thinking you are a different group does not make it so. and african americans and african share more in common with each other than the greek and romans did with each other.

we look the same, even through most africans speak more than one lanuage we still speak the same language and we share the same religions. the family structure of african families is the same as that of african americans the only difference is parents and elders are shown more respect in african culture.

AND you cannot lump russian/slavs with arabs and east indians they are different groups culturally and racially .The word russia comes from the viking word RUS. WHITE RUSSIANS ARE offspring of vikings vikings are from north europe.

race is not a fallacy, the smallest change in genetics changes everything so race is no illusion and those mutations are important but not as genetically important as people make them out to be. But they still exist so therefore race exists. It's not by luck that black people dominate every running sport in the olympics or that we have lower chances to get skin cancer there are other difference as well.
  • kingblaze84

If you are asking me how long does it take for a new culture to be born then i can tell you that there is no set time limit. the romans thought of themselves as being roman not greek even though they were basically the same culture so just thinking you are a different group does not make it so. and african americans and african share more in common with each other than the greek and romans did with each other.

we look the same, even through most africans speak more than one lanuage we still speak the same language and we share the same religions. the family structure of african families is the same as that of african americans the only difference is parents and elders are shown more respect in african culture.

AND you cannot lump russian/slavs with arabs and east indians they are different groups culturally and racially .The word russia comes from the viking word RUS. WHITE RUSSIANS ARE offspring of vikings vikings are from north europe.

race is not a fallacy, the smallest change in genetics changes everything so race is no illusion and those mutations are important but not as genetically important as people make them out to be. But they still exist so therefore race exists. It's not by luck that black people dominate every running sport in the olympics or that we have lower chances to get skin cancer there are other difference as well.

Good point
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

going down that road, what do you think about measured intelligence, as it relates to race?

• zombie
    edited October 2013
    NYETOPn wrote: »

going down that road, what do you think about measured intelligence, as it relates to race?

Intelligence unlike physical ability cannot be properly measured or tested across racial or cultural or even personal lines because. intelligence is learned knowledge applied creatively and tests only ask for one answer or process intelligence test check knowledge not how that knowledge is applied.
  • dr funky resurrected
    dr funky resurrected Members Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Neo-Nubian

LOL!

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    my heart beats with the drums of Africa and my blood runs like the Nile
    to be fair, this does not sound healthy
    AND you cannot lump russian/slavs with arabs and east indians they are different groups culturally and racially
    yeah, you can: all "white folks"

pretty sure i made this ruling for the SL already
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    African- maroon- jamaican american just call me black for simplicity sake.

fixed, you ain't special, i got Maroon ancestry too
  • zombie
    janklow wrote: »
    my heart beats with the drums of Africa and my blood runs like the Nile
    to be fair, this does not sound healthy
    AND you cannot lump russian/slavs with arabs and east indians they are different groups culturally and racially
    yeah, you can: all "white folks"

pretty sure i made this ruling for the SL already

Are you black or white or another race
  • janklow
    i thought we had this conversation
  • zombie
    edited October 2013
    i thought we had this conversation

you never gave me an answer
  • zombie
    African- maroon- jamaican american just call me black for simplicity sake.

fixed, you ain't special, i got Maroon ancestry too

If you are a maroon then you are special both my parents are maroons so it's not ancestry for me it's what i am right now in the present.
  • janklow
    pretty sure you got the pertinent answer and then went off the rails as a result

• zombie
    edited October 2013
    pretty sure you got the pertinent answer and then went off the rails as a result

Your memory is faulty you refused to answer me.

so i will ask you again what race are you? just answer the question