Suicidal Republicans shut down gov't & hold world hostage w/ Debt Limit, all cuz they hate Obamacare

Options
Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in The Social Lounge
This isn't like before, you know. This isn't even Obama vs. Republicans really - its about Republicans completely falling apart internally and not even having the basic organization structure & competence any more. They're like a mafia where everyone is snitching or the Oakland Raiders:

If the House of Representatives voted on a “clean” budget bill — one that opened up the closed federal offices but did not attempt to defund the Obama health care program — that bill would pass, and the shutdown would be over. Nearly all Democrats would vote for it, as would enough Republicans to end the shutdown and its related damage.

So far House Speaker John Boehner has refused to let this vote occur. His Tea Party contingent knows how the vote would go and therefore does not want it to happen; and such is Boehner’s fear of them, and fear for his job as Speaker, that he will not let it take place.

These two points are why the normal D.C.-poohbah moanings about the need for compromise do not apply.
The Democratic administration, and a sufficient number of Republicans, already agree and are ready enough to compromise to solve this problem. If the normal machinery of democracy were allowed to work, the manufactured crisis would be over. The only reason the senseless damage is being done is that hostage-takers have terrorized members of their own party

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/10/the-two-basic-facts-that-should-be-in-every-shutdown-story/280179/

1380633347.png.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.png

John Boehner isn't even trying to pretend his House of Representatives is a sane place anymore.
The House GOP's debt limit bill -- obtained by the National Review -- isn't a serious governing document. It's not even a plausible opening bid. It's a cry for help.

In return for a one-year suspension of the debt ceiling, House Republicans are demanding a yearlong delay of Obamacare, Rep. Paul Ryan’s tax reform plan, the Keystone XL pipeline, more offshore oil drilling, more drilling on federally protected lands, rewriting of ash coal regulations, a suspension of the Environmental Protection Agency’s efforts to regulate carbon emissions, more power over the regulatory process in general, reform of the federal employee retirement program, an overhaul of the Dodd-Frank financial regulations, more power over the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s budget, repeal of the Social Services Block Grant, more means-testing in Medicare, repeal of the Public Health trust fund, and more.

ahem.

.........I know ? don't like to read around here, so let's post that again?

In return for a one-year suspension of the debt ceiling, House Republicans are demanding a yearlong delay of Obamacare, Rep. Paul Ryan’s tax reform plan, the Keystone XL pipeline, more offshore oil drilling, more drilling on federally protected lands, rewriting of ash coal regulations, a suspension of the Environmental Protection Agency’s efforts to regulate carbon emissions, more power over the regulatory process in general, reform of the federal employee retirement program, an overhaul of the Dodd-Frank financial regulations, more power over the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s budget, repeal of the Social Services Block Grant, more means-testing in Medicare, repeal of the Public Health trust fund, and more.

It's tempting to think that this is Boehner teaching his conference a lesson. They told him what they wanted, and he's going to let them have it -- good and hard. House Republicans are walking into the debt-ceiling negotiations with an opening bid that makes them look ridiculous. This looks like an Onion parody of what the House's debt-ceiling demands might be. It's a wonder it's not written in comic sans.

But this is really the conference teaching Boehner a lesson. He had so little support to raise the debt ceiling at all -- and so little trust from his members that he had a strategy to maximize their leverage -- that this is the bill he had to present. At this point, Boehner either can't stop them, or he's too exhausted to try.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/09/26/wonkbook-the-houses-debt-ceiling-bill-is-wow/

At the National Institutes of Health, nearly three-quarters of the staff was furloughed. One result: director Francis Collins said about 200 patients who otherwise would be admitted to the NIH Clinical Center into clinical trials each week will be turned away. This includes about 30 children, most of them cancer patients, he said.

Other victims:

1) More than 2 million federal workers will see their paychecks delayed — and 800,000 of them might never get repaid. Tens of thousands of air-traffic controllers, prison guards and border-patrol agents will be required to serve without pay.

2) Millions of veterans may not receive benefits if the shutdown lasts more than two weeks.

3) The CDC will halt its flu program just as flu season gets underway. (The CDC will, however, continue its overseas malaria and AIDS programs, as those are funded independently.)

4) Some food-safety operations would cease.

5) Nutritional programs for women, infants and children could be disrupted after a week. During the shutdown, the Department of Agriculture will stop supporting the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program, which helps pregnant women and new moms buy healthy food and provides nutritional information and health care referrals to those who need it. The program aids some 9 million Americans. That won't hit immediately. The USDA estimates that most states have funds and authority to continue their programs for "a week or so," but they'll "likely be unable to sustain operations for a longer period.

6) Financing for small businesses could be hampered. The Small Business Administration has provided guarantees for some $106 billion in loans to more than 193,000 small businesses over the last four years. It also runs programs to help small firms win government contracts, help veteran-owned businesses, and boost international trade. All that would cease in a shutdown.

7) The tourist trade would take a hit. The National Park Service will close more than 400 national parks, museums and sites across the country, including Yosemite National Park in California, Grand Canyon park, Alcatraz in San Francisco, and the Statue of Liberty in New York. Day visitors will have to leave immediately. Campers will have two days to pack up and get out.

8) Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the Labor Department office that performs the crucial function of monitoring workplaces, would have to stop inspections that don't involve immediate dangers or deaths

9) 19,000 children won't be attending head start funded-preschooling and day care today. For some parents, this is the only government-subsidized program that keeps their kids safe while they work at their minimum wage jobs.

10) Everyone, because Republican shutdown will cost the economy $300 million a day

And remember: the debt ceiling expires October 17. We can limp along with a gov't shutdown, but if the U.S defaults.....yeah........? could ? around and be living dat Last of Us/Walking Dead life lolsmh.

"Default would risk not only economic calamity but the potential of an electoral one for the otherwise unassailable Republican majority. But history is replete with disastrous miscalculations. They’re often made by weak, short-sighted leaders facing pressure to demonstrate toughness from internal opponents. That is to say, Boehner is exactly the kind of leader who would blunder into a calamity like a debt default."

Comments

• Swiffness!
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Not only are countless vacations being ruined by Congress, but countless small businesses in tourist towns are suffering as a result of the ridiculous actions of these Tea Party politicians.

I own and operate several hotels in Gettysburg, PA. In July we celebrated the 150th anniversary of the pivotal Battle of Gettysburg, and in November we will be celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address. Needless to say, we have had a very busy year, as more tourists than ever have been flocking to Gettysburg to stay, shop, eat, and visit the battlefield attractions.

Well, since yesterday the Gettysburg Military Park and Visitors’ Center has been closed. As a result we have already had a few cancellations from regular customers, a school group who was spending a night with us on their way to DC has postponed their visit, and we are facing the cancellation of a military group that was renting out a third of our rooms for a three night stay next week. I cannot blame these groups for canceling their visit, but I do blame these House Republicans for shutting down our government and costing the merchants and town of Gettysburg thousands of dollars a day in tourist revenue. The House Republicans are hurting many small businesses in towns like Gettysburg across the country, and they deserve nothing but the scorn of the American people.

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/10/02/the-view-from-your-shutdown-2/
  • Swiffness!
    Options
    The federal government shutdown, while important, is a dry run for the potentially cataclysmic debt-ceiling standoff. What does it portend? Evidence can be found for both alarm and complacency, but the preponderance of proof seems to lie on the side of freaking out.

*****THIS ISN'T ALEX JONES TALKING PEOPLE, THIS IS BAD*****

The good news is that, as Robert Costa reports, John Boehner views the upcoming debt-ceiling fight as a reason to stay in the good graces of his Ted Cruz wing for now — “with a major debt-limit battle approaching, he can’t let a CR vote divide his conference.” This would imply that Boehner understands that he will have to abandon the defunders on the debt ceiling. Otherwise, he’d be worried about alienating restive moderates.

But, in general, the shutdown has confirmed the darkest fears of the alarmists.

I’ve been ringing alarms for months about the House careening anarchically into disastrous conflagrations, but even I never thought the chances of a shutdown — which so obviously violated Republican self-interest — exceeded 50 percent. The House leadership has evinced every tic of classic aggressive blunderers. The House leaders fell into their approach, being driven by internal political logic rather than any coherent strategy. They have no plan for success except hoping the opponent capitulates, without having any reason to believe it will happen. They have even fallen for the classic fallacy of believing they have already given up too much to back out now without a reward:

@robertcostaNRO
    After msg'ing and playing CR volley for wks, it's (nearly) politically impossible for leadership now to walk away from its strategy

"In the government funding battle, the issue that sparked it all, Obamacare, was no longer center stage less than 24 hours after the shutdown began,” Byron York likewise reports: “The fight is now about the shutdown itself, and Obamacare has been pushed to the side.”

Reading accounts of internal Republican deliberations is like reading histories of World War I or Vietnam. (lmfao)

A second problem is that a minority of conservatives pressured Boehner into shutting down the government, against the urgent pleas of a large segment of movement conservatives. But the right’s divisions over the shutdown fight have given way to near unanimity over the debt-ceiling fight. Conservative discourse on the debt ceiling is a chorus of cheering belligerence. I’ve seen no conservatives consider the possibility that Democrats actually believe their stated position, which is that giving in to debt-ceiling extortion would pave the way for endless future extortion and an eventual debt breach. They assert over and over that Democrats will fold, and seem to believe this.

Boehner does not seem to share his party’s sociopathic embrace of hostage tactics. Boehner resembles William H. Macy’s character in Fargo, who concocts a simple plan to have his wife kidnapped and skim the proceeds, failing to think a step forward about what happens once she’s actually seized by violent criminals. He doesn’t intend for her to be harmed, but also has no ability to control the plan once he’s set it in motion. In the end, Boehner's Speakership is likely to end up in the wood chipper, anyway.

a_560x375.jpg

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/10/why-the-shutdown-is-leading-to-debt-default.html?mid=rss
  • Sicky Mouse
    Sicky Mouse Members Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    republicans throwing a tantrum. "if i can't get dessert then no one get's dinner!"
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since Obama only takes credit for ? he didn't do, but never takes responsibility for his actual ? ups, I can see how people would blame this on the Republicans.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so this thread goes on the premise that one side did not compromise to date forgetting that the other side has not either so would that not make it Suicidal Democrats and Republicans or even more accurate Suicidal Self Absorbed Ruling elite???
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Amazing what happens when a country is ran by two groups of ? ? .
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    This isn't like before, you know. This isn't even Obama vs. Republicans really - its about Republicans completely falling apart internally and not even having the basic organization structure & competence any more. They're like a mafia where everyone is snitching or the Oakland Raiders:
    man, i should lock this damn thread just for this out of line paragraph RIGHT THERE

honestly, this whole thing is a dumb mess, but let me just say this: if Democrats want moderate Republicans to join them in passing a clean CR, a good start would be to stop guys like Van Hollen from bashing said moderates. just sayin'.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unless a third party emerges that can address the combined needs of various voters without completely alienating anyone, and hold back on publicly backing "conspiracy theories" that only a few people will find plausible, expect the two party bickering to get worse.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both sides are to blame, Obama gave exemptions up the ass for major corporations and his fellow Congressmen.....takes two to tango. Both sides deserve the blame
  • Swiffness!
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    man, i should lock this damn thread just for this out of line paragraph RIGHT THERE

honestly, this whole thing is a dumb mess, but let me just say this: if Democrats want moderate Republicans to join them in passing a clean CR, a good start would be to stop guys like Van Hollen from bashing said moderates. just sayin'.

What the ? are you talking about. Republicans brought this "dumb mess" on themselves, despite numerous warnings from people on their side that knew better - but oh wait DRUDGE/FOXNEWS/RUSH/RACIST CRAZY ANONYMOUS COMMENT GUY thought it was this wonderful brilliant idea so OBVIOUSLY it was and any possible negative repercussions are just Barack Ohitler's fault.

"if Democrats want moderate Republicans to join-" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

w3ZKbWa.png

These "moderate republicans" that signed on to a weak-ass attempt to blackmail the President into nullifying the last election got into a exploding car with a ? driver. These ? in areas like North Virginia and the Philly Suburbs got PROBLEMS.

"The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the bedrock of traditional Republicanism, now says that it will get involved in Republican primaries by providing financial support to incumbent Republicans who vote to reopen the government and raise the debt ceiling."

HA, yeah, my assessment was sooooooooooooooooo off. Yeah, this totally isn't a result of Republican internal dysfunction and Boehner being a hapless ? .

To be fair tho, Obama DOES deserve a fair share of blame here for not simply agreeing to compromise with those Reasonable Republicans by repealing Obamacare, abolishing Social Security, and uhhhh....screw it lets replace the income tax w/ a flat tax while we're at it.

Janklow can't see straight ever since Obama said mean things about his guns, I swear.
    Both sides are to blame

read more details, they really.....aren't.

Obama's massive error here was encouraging the hostage taking in the first place by giving them ANYTHING when they tried this Debt Ceiling B.S in 2011. He thought he could use it as a pivot to serious fiscal reform, as if the GOP is interested in reforming anything past tax rates for the ultra-rich nowdays.
  • janklow
    edited October 2013
    Options
    What the ? are you talking about.
    well, for starters, i don't take kindly to people bad-mouthing the Raiders. this MIGHT be a joke people could pick up on.
    "if Democrats want moderate Republicans to join-" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    These "moderate republicans" that signed on to a weak-ass attempt to blackmail the President into nullifying the last election got into a exploding car with a ? driver. These ? in areas like North Virginia and the Philly Suburbs got PROBLEMS.
    alright, so let me see i can clarify this. you have guys like Reid --you know, Democrats-- saying right now that Democrats and moderate Republicans in the House could pass a clean CR that would, in turn, pass in the Senate. in fact, you have Republicans who have gone ON RECORD as saying they would do this. you can fuss about Boehner not allowing this to come up for a vote, but wait a second, THAT part has nothing to do with what i am saying.

so then in response you have ? like Van Hollen making sure to rip each Republican equally. yeah, i get it, Republicans are the devil, Democrats are The Greatest American Heros, blah, blah, blah. only since your party leaders implied there's a methodology that involves working WITH these moderate Republicans, what does it serve that methodology to rip the 20-or-so moderate votes you want?

there's a ton of turbo-stuff partisan ? that's been going on for years that involves people like Reid and Van Hollen being unable to talk politely to people the second they disagree. yeah, Republicans do it to and i find that equally unacceptable. if there's an example of it in the current debate, i'd ? about that too, but it seems like right now it's mostly just "rah rah Obamacare is destroying America" ? that isn't constructive for a different reason, but which also is unrelated to my point. look at Steny Hoyer: i'm not a huge fan but he's a very senior Democrat who DOESN'T get caught making these kind of ? -talking sound bites. hint hint.
    "The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the bedrock of traditional Republicanism, now says that it will get involved in Republican primaries by providing financial support to incumbent Republicans who vote to reopen the government and raise the debt ceiling."
    HA, yeah, my assessment was sooooooooooooooooo off. Yeah, this totally isn't a result of Republican internal dysfunction and Boehner being a hapless ? .
    so let me see if i understand you: i talk about outreach to moderate Republicans and i am "unable to see straight" ... and then you say the same damn thing regarding the Chamber of Commerce and internal Republican dysfunction and you know what you're talking about?

let me ask this question: did you actually read my post or did you just take my joke the wrong way and LOSE YOUR MIND and start this rant up? because i don't actually think it's the former.
    Janklow can't see straight ever since Obama said mean things about his guns, I swear.
    you know, i do have near-total disdain for the president given his actions on guns, but let's be clear: he didn't "say mean things about them," he throws tantrums and lectures gun owners every time he doesn't get what he wants on the issue. plus all the executive orders and legislative pushes and blah blah blah. so there's an element on my end that says the guy who spends all his time saying "? janklow" can go ? himself.

but the best part? none of this has ANYTHING to do with what i am saying about the shutdown. so let me know if we're discussing that or we're just saying random ? because... actually, i don't really know what's up with your post as regards me. so i guess we're saying random ? just to say it?
  • Swiffness!
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Yeah, I missed that joke. Jesus, you're a Raiders fan. LOL, I take back everything bad I ever said about you and offer my sincere condolences instead. (Mark Davis can't be as bad as Zombie Al, right?)

I just have zero patience for that ol' "oh partisanship is terrible! a pox on both parties!" ? at the moment because one of the two is clearly going the extra ? mile right now.
  • janklow
    Options
    Yeah, I missed that joke. Jesus, you're a Raiders fan. LOL, I take back everything bad I ever said about you and offer my sincere condolences instead. (Mark Davis can't be as bad as Zombie Al, right?)
    SEE NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE

actually, Mark Davis is probably worse in some respects because Al Davis had legit football knowledge. but if it makes you feel better it's not like the Raiders are the sole criminally disappointing team i root for.

ps. go Raiders
    I just have zero patience for that ol' "oh partisanship is terrible! a pox on both parties!" ? at the moment because one of the two is clearly going the extra ? mile right now.
    look, i will agree that the GOP is the party behind the shutdown. no matter what sympathy you have with their positions, i think the methodology is ? dumb.

what i blame partisanship for in this specific case is that it's one thing to rip the tactics (go nuts) and ANOTHER thing to make it personal (which has been Reid's M.O. for some time now). again, not excusing Republicans doing the same ? . but it seems like it's a bigger Dem thing right now.

i mean... Van Hollen is now the dude in charge of the discharge petition gambit. keep it civil, man!

unrelated to this: what is with this "we immediately agree to back pay for furloughed dudes." WHY NOT KEEP THIS ? RUNNING IF THEY'RE GETTING PAID