Kanye West is a Modern Day Michelangelo

LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in The Reason
It’s almost difficult to write anything about Kanye. He just says it all himself. Like he did yesterday morning on L.A.’s Power 106 when he said this:

Everybody got some advice for me, you know what I mean, like, ‘I don’t like the way you goin’ about doin’ it’ and ‘Michael Jackson never did this.’ I said, ‘I ain’t Michael Jackson.’ I’m not just a musician — I’m a Christian revolutionary visionary products person. I ain’t here to dance for y’all. I ain’t here to do a two-step. That’s just a piece, that was just my end. And now I wanna create, I wanna create content. I mean, eventually, ten years from now, I just wanna create for the church, period. I’m Christian, I’mma design the new Sistine Chapel(s).

Comments

• Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #Kanyethetypeofnigga to wanna be the first openly ? rapper just to say he's an innovator.
  • Lab Baby
    And I hate to make this conversation about this, but this is why white people can easily take ? from us. This ? Kanye has been putting out subpar project after subpar project for 2 straight years, but acts like it's some revolutionary ? ... then wants attention and the respect by an industry that doesn't want you there in the first place. Meanwhile, Em just dropped an album that's getting good reviews so far, and is definitely gonna overshadow whatever fuckery Kanye is trying way too hard to accomplish. And he's keeping it hip hop at that. Rappers get too uppity and act like we run the world when we can't even protect our own backyard. No matter how much Ye tries to tell us he's ? and wants to design cross onesie pajamas with Anna WIntour... when 2013 is in the history books, it will be written that 2 white boys dropped better hip hop albums than 80% of the game. I'm not stating that as my opinion (although it is), but we all know how the game goes.
  • Lebong James
    Lebong James Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    And I hate to make this conversation about this, but this is why white people can easily take ? from us. This ? Kanye has been putting out subpar project after subpar project for 2 straight years, but acts like it's some revolutionary ? ... then wants attention and the respect by an industry that doesn't want you there in the first place. Meanwhile, Em just dropped an album that's getting good reviews so far, and is definitely gonna overshadow whatever fuckery Kanye is trying way too hard to accomplish. And he's keeping it hip hop at that. Rappers get too uppity and act like we run the world when we can't even protect our own backyard. No matter how much Ye tries to tell us he's ? and wants to design cross onesie pajamas with Anna WIntour... when 2013 is in the history books, it will be written that 2 white boys dropped better hip hop albums than 80% of the game. I'm not stating that as my opinion (although it is), but we all know how the game goes.

Lol at "em made an album that's getting good reviews and will surely overshadow anything Ye has.." When yeezus is by far the most critically acclaimed rap album of the year. Then u say two white boys own the game. Honestly this post gave me cancer.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the MMLPII leak is getting torn to shreds by ze critics
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Rappers get too uppity and act like we run the world when we can't even protect our own backyard.

If your paying attention, thats a point Yeezus is trying to stress, shattering the glass ceiling, he wants to do more than Rap apparently. Ninjas aint satisfied with just back yards anymore, we want Condos in Paris, Beach front properties and acceptance and appreciation from our peers when we show growth. Jay said the illest ? (No Pun) on "Illest MF's Alive" and is a perfect counter to your "Uppity" claim.

"Usually you have this much taste you Eueropean
    That's the end of that way of thinking, ? never again"

In our case the word taste can be interchanged with several different words when it comes to the Black community, Ambition, Education, Work Ethic etc.. We need to stop trying to hinder our progress by thinking Ninjas is "Uppity".
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    When you drop wack ? like Yeezus and Watch The Throne...your claims comes off more hilarious.
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michaelangelo???? More like Vincent Van Gogh....Dude is a musical genius, but He's also going mad....
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah son smh
    Just nah.
    You had me at the first sentence and than it went downhill from there.
    Super ? quick.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    adam-levine-laughing-gif.gif
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Yeezy season approaching
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeezy season approaching

? whatever ya been hearin'
  • Lebong James
    Lebong James Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    808's came out, couple years later shitloads of music from every genre sounds like 808's

ye wears a skirt, all of a sudden Diddy and ASAP rocking skirts

yeezus comes out...just watch...

? should know by now that whatever kanye does whether it be fashion or music becomes a trend
  • Mr.LV
    808's came out, couple years later shitloads of music from every genre sounds like 808's

ye wears a skirt, all of a sudden Diddy and ASAP rocking skirts

yeezus comes out...just watch...

? should know by now that whatever kanye does whether it be fashion or music becomes a trend

That's why I ? with kanye because he is a trendsetter .
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kanye is a clown, stop giving him attention and stop buying anything he's associated with
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanye the young GOAT true creative genius .... Once in a lifetime type artist

ON SITE ONSITE!!! ON SITE ON SITE ON SITE!!!
  • Mr.LV
    Chopped em both down don't em Joe brown
  • Lab Baby
    I feel like Lord Jamar right now, lmao... *rant sequence engaged*

To any negative comments about my post (too many to pick), that's not my opinion on what it should be, but that's how it is now. I get what Kanye is saying, but he's doing it poorly. He's a jack of all trades, but a master of none. He got critical reviews on Yeezus (LOL @ taking a critic's word over an actual person's), but in reality the people ain't ? with it. Then you have people like Kendrick, Cole, Drake (hate that I gotta add him), and all these other new cats that actually catch the PEOPLE'S attention in a positive way, whether or not the critics like them. And they sell, so people are buying the music legitimately. I just so happen to mention Em and Mackelmore, who are white, which was an example of my point that white people can take ? from us so easily. I'm not saying it's happened, this is still our ? . Hip hop, positive or negative, will be always be synonymous with us.

The problem is, we don't support our own people, and other people don't give a ? about us. We don't go out and buy their records, some rightfully so (get to that later). Next thing you know, you look up, and two of the highest selling artists are white (Em pending). Why are people buying more Mackelmore albums than Kanye albums, even though Kanye's is supposedly better? Cuz people, black, white, whatever... buy music they like. Hip hop is prolly still one of the highest selling genres, but it's at its lowest point sales wise (not dictating the greatness of the music btw, can't stress that enough). And just like the 80s, and just like the 2000s... the highest selling artist is white. And why is that? I'm sure there's more than 1 million people in the world so a hip hop artist not named Eminem, Jay and Wayne can ? platinum. Cuz we don't buy our records. I mean, look at rock. Elvis didn't just take rock, it happened over a period of time. While black people abandoned rock in the 70s, groups like Pink Floyd and Rush kept making innovative music. Now, when people think rock, they don't think just Elvis. They think the Beatles, Floyd, Rush, Metallica, Nirvana, etc. Cuz those guys kept pushing the envelope and even starting their own subgenres and eras. And that's not a judgement call by the critics, who initially ? on them in the first place. That was cemented by the people. Yeah, we have Jimi Hendrix, George Clinton, Nile Rogers and a few others, but it stops there.

Kanye is our Jimi Hendrix. Son changed the game over and over. But he and people that ? with him think because Yeezus got accepted by the critics, it's accepted by everyone. It isn't. The public is shittin on Kanye. Musically and personally. And that's not my opinion, I think Kanye is dope, even when he is wack. I grew to like Yeezus and I think he should push those boundaries, that's what I'm rooting forBut look at the comments in Kanye posts on the IC alone. Look at the comments on Worldstar. Look at comments in every article about Kanye. ? the internet, talk to people on the street. Ask people you don't know about him. Hip hop heads, regular people, casual listeners, whatever. He barely cracked gold this time for a reason. As of right now, the PEOPLE (once again, not me) think he sucks.

My thing is this... I understand Kanye. I think what he's doing is dope. I think he did help make rap the prime culture of America and parts of the world. I believe he can push us and himself to the next level. He is the first person in the mainstream, especially mainstream rap, to discuss true spiritual freedom, but he's doing it half assed. He at one point replaced Redman and Em as my favorite rapper up until just now when MMLP2 and Red's new mixtape came out, and for good reason. As much I said I like Yeezus, he could've done waaaaaaaaaay better, and I think MMLP2 and The Heist are better albums... ? it, sue me. I don't give a ? what the critics or other people think. And a lot of people feel the same, doesn't matter if they're black or white.

• Lab Baby
    If he wants people to ? with him on his dream to innovate, take it to the next level and become the true gods we are, he's gotta be as humble and respectful as he was when he first came out. Even though he was arrogant, he still had respect for himself and the culture, and in turn people respected him... ALL people. That's how hip hop is. Yeah, we arrogant, but also we a culture of respect. We learn it growing up, and we spread it to others. Them fashion ? don't respect ? . They'll never respect you unless you get in the infrastructure and change it entirely. Eliminate the sexism, racism, classism, get them reptilian ? outta there and then you can do whatever you want in there. Til then, it's their arena, and they're not gonna let you in unless you're like them. The problem is, we are increasingly not respecting our own ? . ? are slowly abandoning rap as an artform, the ones we did respect are falling off and are becoming arrogant through money and things they barely have control over, and people are slowly hating themselves as people. I mean, just look around you... it's a lot deeper than Kanye. It's all of us. Isn't it ironic that the Wu and Black Eyed Peas are equally as popular in the public, even though the Peas have tried to cater to that world by abandoning their sound, and the Wu has been consistent in making street music that the machine doesn't support? Cuz the machine don't give a ? about us, once the people stop buying records or lose interest, the machine turns you into "anonymous".

Which comes back to my point... why do you think RZA can easily get work to this day, even though the radio hasn't played a new Wu song in years, and Kanye is ? about getting the right contract in some fashion company when he's got the machine behind him? Cuz he was humble, respectful of hip hop, and in turn had respect for people. Kept it hip hop, and at the same time studied the craft and worked at it. Now he can direct and score his own movies, and can now do anything he wants if he makes the right moves. He's had his hand in games, fashion, everything that Kanye is ambitious about. And also speaks respectfully, even though it's hard to sit through that Barbra Walters accent. Kanye at one point was just like RZA. Hand his hand in different projects, setting off a chain reaction of successful people creatively and commercially. Nowadays, he's some whitewashed ? that talks about ? without properly explaining it and breaking down the math, leading people to think he's crazy. Which is fine, if that's what he wants to do. But you can't break through if you aren't puttin up the work that you say you can do. And for the record, that whole anti establishment ? is moot, cuz they're playing Black Skinhead in car commercials. Which he prolly knows, that might just be his genius working. But people see through the ? , and will turn on him eventually. And it won't be no symbolic Jesus ? where he was killed for talking too much... he's just gonna be stuck where he's at or worse cuz he can't conduct himself like a ? man in public. And I'm not saying Kanye should not speak his mind. But if the words aren't matching up to the actions, and you're an arrogant ? on top of that, the people will lose respect for you, you will lose your status and your cause will be useless.

Kanye thinks that it's OK to leave our culture (which he is clearly doing, I mean look at him) and jump in the fashion world, where them ? don't even give a ? about people in general, let alone us. I mean, look at the Barney's situation. I'm not saying he shouldn't pursue fashion and architecture, I think that's dope as ? . But if he does that, he needs to retain the greatness and the humility he once did when he first dropped. He's not just them... hell, he's not just us. He's universal, he should conduct himself as such he wants to get where he wants to go. He wants to shatter the glass ceiling, but he can't if he can't properly manage to juggle both the machine and the people. And if you think I'm being ideal, racist, hating or whatever... this isn't my opinion, this is truth. Arrogance will ? you. I mean, look how they did Irv and Dame Dash, and they were both unstoppable at one point. Now white people own their labels. Now they can't get back to where they were cuz they were arrogant ? . Like it or not, as a people, black, white, male, female, whatever... all we have is hip hop right now, fashion is their ? . We gotta maintain our roots and respect the culture, cuz if we so happen to lose our footing in hip hop, them mufuckas are not gonna let us in their ? ... not without a fight.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dog you ? really need to get out of this little bubble ... Kanye album is one of the best selling records of the year without a real marketing push (which shouldnt be ignored) and he's on tour right now performing all of the songs that people you claim "arnt feeling" the market is bigger than just the ? your exposed to ..his audience is bigger than that to ..this whole narrative about people not feeling his ? is intellectually dishonest and inaccurate

So is this ? about him being humble and respectful when he first came out?!? Why y'all ? keep typing ? like this? That ? was never on some humble respectful ? lol .. Other than that you had some good general points about the industry tho here and there but overall that ? is full of innacurate blah blah blah ... You need to get some facts straight bruh
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    @Lab Baby ? aint reading that young novel you just published. Word of the day for you brethren is Concision.
  • Lab Baby
    Dog you ? really need to get out of this little bubble ... Kanye album is one of the best selling records of the year without a real marketing push (which shouldnt be ignored) and he's on tour right now performing all of the songs that people you claim "arnt feeling" the market is bigger than just the ? your exposed to ..his audience is bigger than that to ..this whole narrative about people not feeling his ? is intellectually dishonest and inaccurate

So is this ? about him being humble and respectful when he first came out?!? Why y'all ? keep typing ? like this? That ? was never on some humble respectful ? lol .. Other than that you had some good general points about the industry tho here and there but overall that ? is full of innacurate blah blah blah ... You need to get some facts straight bruh

The marketing push is in front of your face. Kanye talking about it constantly, him proposing to Kim Kardashian on TV, the rants, the controversy... it's all to keep Kanye's name in the people's conscious. I'm not saying Yeezus is unanimously bad, I'm just saying I'm hearing and seeing more negative than good, from more than just my "little bubble". And I know about Kanye. This the same man that said he was gonna be Michael Jackson before his first album dropped. But got damn if I don't think CD is the Thriller of hip hop, and I stand behind that. The difference is, he made it his business to back up his word. He put out product that people liked, and genuinely ? with the people. His arrogance was against the media that doubted him. But now, you see that he's losing himself. And not even becoming someone different, which would've been fine. Nothing wrong with change. But he's becoming the same people that don't even want him to succeed, and then not even using their tactics correctly. Then on top of that, he's not even 100% in his work. 5 mufuckas writing one song?... scust. I don't know what he's doing in the fashion world, but he's obviously not satisfied with the results. All I'm saying is if he wants to do that, he's gotta show up with the same tenacity he had initially in the rap game, which even you gotta admit he's not doing 100% in. And I say humility, cuz humility shows in the work... cuz it proves that you stopped talking about being great and actually started BEING great.