Vocational Schools vs. the traditional College path

Options
blakfyahking
blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in The Social Lounge
I was just reading an article about the decline in popularity of vocational schools (high schools call them Vo techs)

There are some folks talking about how Voc schools are necessary and that we should invest in them again to give kids more choices in pursuing a career

The general view is that Voc schools lost popularity because they are still seen as a place for kids not "smart" enough for the traditional college path towards employment............many parents steer their kids towards college instead of learning a trade

Should Vocational schools get more support? Should they be seen as being valuable in an economy that struggles to prepare young people for jobs?

What ya'll think??

Comments

• redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    Options
    i think they are good when the economy finally collapses you are going to need to know how to make or fix ?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vocational schools are necessary because everybody ain't built for traditional colleges.
  • Sicky Mouse
    Sicky Mouse Members Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    some of them are great schools with good programs. general rule to separate the good from the bad ones is if the school has a commercial, stay away from it.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    the fact is that college is not the career path for everyone, so they've got their place
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vocational schools/community colleges are pertinent to society as a whole.
    They deserve more support and should be seen as an asset to the community and it adds value to the economy
    Not every career or job needs a 4 year degree
    More people need hands on experience rather than classroom experience
    Most programs at a 2 year vocational school can get a job immediately after graduating

mechanics, plumbers, builders, hvac, electricians, early childhood development, cosmetologist, masseuse, IT techs, etc. can all complete the program with hands on experience and find a career easily or start a business on their own immediately after graduating.

If I could go back and I would have went to a vocational school and learned a trade instead of going to a 4 year college and not be able to use my degree because I am over qualified or don't have enough after grad experience.
  • No_Way_Jose
    No_Way_Jose Members Posts: 71
    Options
    It would appear that the overwhelming majority of vocational prospects end up in the public sector. Collegiate, private sector. I could be wrong?