Spinoff: For The 10 Thousandth Time...The "African American" vs "Black American" Thread...

A1000MILES
A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in R & R (Religion and Race)
It's funny when the reality of white Africans comes into play...Or when a black from Africa says non-African blacks aren't African American...I know this thread has happened before, but how do y'all feel about the title "African American"?...Personally, een though I know some prime civil rights leaders took pride in it, I think it's some pity/politically correct ? ...Blacks with no tangible connection to Africa or anywhere else are just Americans to me...And should be proud of that...Why should you have to classify yourself any further than that?...I'm an immigrant, so I can say I'm AA, but if I wasn't, Ion think I'd claim that gang...

Comments

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No tangible connection? Ok
  • A1000MILES
    What's your problem with "tangible"...?
  • Beech Oss Neega
    Beech Oss Neega Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Africans don't like or identify with American blacks from my experience, and I don't really rock with them either. Therefore I'm black, not AA.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i ain't got the time today for this
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's the black diaspora in america and various groups within that. I think using the term "african-american" is a blanket term that assumes we are a homogenous ppl IMO

The actual term tho I have no problem there's cacs calling themselves italian american and they've been in this country 4 or 5 generations and theirs mexican americans that whose great grandparents couldn't speak spanish so
  • A1000MILES
    That's another thing...Just being black in America doesn't make you African...You could have generations of ancestors from St. Lucia or where ever...That's why I think that term is really just some pity/pc ? to appease rowdy revolutinary ? ...
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    That's another thing...Just being black in America doesn't make you African...You could have generations of ancestors from St. Lucia or where ever...That's why I think that term is really just some pity/pc ? to appease rowdy revolutinary ? ...

ayo I feel this way breh
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But those st lucians would be of african descent
  • A1000MILES
    But those st lucians would be of african descent

How far back would you have to go to figure out where in Africa they came from?...That ? is damn near impossible...And it's not like all African blacks ended up in other areas through the diaspora...? was exploring too...African blacks actually found America prior to Columbus...
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the term "African-American" is coonish baffoonery to me and I ask that you not call me that or I might have to put hands on you kind sir.

and ? you @paralellrhymes Black means "void of light"...call me ? if anythang ? . How would you like if it if I called you "Olive"?

good day ? .
  • A1000MILES
    Plenty Africans look up to American blacks...
  • Beech Oss Neega
    kai_valya wrote: »
    Africans don't like or identify with American blacks from my experience, and I don't really rock with them either. Therefore I'm black, not AA.

this is not true. a lot of these are just misconceptions, blame that on how the media portrays each group to the other.

I came to this conclusion from my own personal experiences dealing with Africans. I Also don't like the way many of them treat their women but that's another subject.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    black is a blanket term and includes all african people therefore it is a better name in my book. in the word black you can wrap up history, culture, genetics and geography. there is black africa, black culture, black history and black features.

african american is just a name given to one black ethnic group it allows you to keep your connection to the rest of the black world but still be yourself. i have been in africa and africans have no problem with african disporian blacks it's only when they get leave africa and see how some of you ignorant ? act do they start forming negative opinions.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is not true. a lot of these are just misconceptions, blame that on how the media portrays each group to the other.

I came to this conclusion from my own personal experiences dealing with Africans. I Also don't like the way many of them treat their women but that's another subject.

Like ? in amerikkka treat they women like queens
  • Beech Oss Neega

so you didn't have any negative preconceived notions yourself? and how exactly do they treat their women?

I didn't. I actually had a positive view of Africans and African culture as a kid. It wasn't until I went overseas and heard all the ? that they would say about American blacks that I changed my tune. I've been to South Africa and Djibouti and heard the same stuff in both places. Black Americans are lazy, spoiled and stupid etc. Heard the same thing from some Ethiopian chicks in Dubai.

So I was like oh word? Yeah there are some lazy ? in America but that's not all of us or even most of us for that matter.

As far as the way they treat women, they treat them like they're beneath the man and they have that 'do as they say' type attitude . I don't like that ? .
  • A1000MILES
    Olives are green, b...No.
  • A1000MILES
  • Bazz-B
    Bazz-B Members Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I prefer the term black american.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're black you're African. Call yiurself what you want to.
  • Beech Oss Neega
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I'll feel better about dropping 'African-American' when this country affords everybody the same rights and privileges. And why is it that I've never heard anyone call for any other ethnic grhasoup to let go of their heritage like that? My mom spent most of her young adult life in NY so I used to spend summers there with Granny. Never heard anyone tell the Italian-American cats, 'Fam, you ain't never been to Italy. Your great, great grandparents came over here 80 years ago. Cut it out. You're American.

And they don't even identify as 'Italian-American'. If you ask, they'll tell you 'I'm Italian'.

I feel what u saying bruh, but to be truthful the average black person in America doesn't even know anything about their African heritage. Everything we know about our history and family tradition and whatnot comes from after our people were brought here.

A lot of Italian ppl still have family ties in Italy. We don't really have a connection with Africa so why identify as that? I'd never just call myself American, I'm a BLACK American for now and always, and being a black American has it's own set of standards and traditions that I live by.
  • A1000MILES
    If you're black you're African. Call yiurself what you want to.

That's simply not true on a relative scale...That's like saying if you're human you're African....If you have no ties to Africa, how are you claiming the country?....You false flaggin...And you allowing someone else to dictate to you the idea that you aren't simply an American...Why do you have to be something else on top of that?...Regular white people here are just American, so why aren't regular black people just American?
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I'll feel better about dropping 'African-American' when this country affords everybody the same rights and privileges. And why is it that I've never heard anyone call for any other ethnic grhasoup to let go of their heritage like that? My mom spent most of her young adult life in NY so I used to spend summers there with Granny. Never heard anyone tell the Italian-American cats, 'Fam, you ain't never been to Italy. Your great, great grandparents came over here 80 years ago. Cut it out. You're American.

And they don't even identify as 'Italian-American'. If you ask, they'll tell you 'I'm Italian'.

I feel what u saying bruh, but to be truthful the average black person in America doesn't even know anything about their African heritage. Everything we know about our history and family tradition and whatnot comes from after our people were brought here.

A lot of Italian ppl still have family ties in Italy. We don't really have a connection with Africa so why identify as that? I'd never just call myself American, I'm a BLACK American for now and always, and being a black American has it's own set of standards and traditions that I live by.

To me, that's MORE of a reason to not let it go. If some cats have no knowledge or connection to their roots, I'm OK if the hold onto the only little piece they have. And what does that really mean, anyway? Like if someone knows their lineage going back to Africa, it's OK for them to refer to themselves as African-American? Eh, I ain't buying it.

Bruh, this is what they want us to do. Strip ourselves of every little reference to Africa and get with the program. African-American vs. Black is a really small thing in the grand scheme of things, but don't think it doesn't mean anything.