this old boy remake

Options
Dupac
Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
will it really grab any new viewers?

i kinda feel like the subculture of people who like foreign flicks like the girl with the dragon tattoo, old boy and ? like that aren't gonna transfer very successfully into american cinema.

i saw the previews for the remake, and i'm like

eh......shoulda just left the ? alone

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never saw Original. Didn't Spike Lee direct? How will he make white people look ? in a movie with a white protagonist?
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im down for the remake just so i dont have to read while watching scenes.
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'ma watch it just 2 see how true it stays to the Original....but many Americans like Lou Cypher won't watch the Original cuz they don't like reading lol
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Ive been hearing alot talk about old boy on here imma see if netflix has the original it if not watch it online if possible
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Du_Du wrote: »
    will it really grab any new viewers?

i kinda feel like the subculture of people who like foreign flicks like the girl with the dragon tattoo, old boy and ? like that aren't gonna transfer very successfully into american cinema.

i saw the previews for the remake, and i'm like

eh......shoulda just left the ? alone

Don't think so you don't look at Spike Lee as a horror or thriller director, also they have to do A WHOLE LOT to not step on the toes on the original one.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I get the impression more and more people are becoming more open to foreign language films and TV programmes these days, and I know that Old Boy has a big cult following behind it hence the uproar when it got announced they were remaking it, but on a whole the majority of the public still hasn't seen the original the same way people hadn't seen Infernal Affairs (which then became The Departed) or Ringu (which became The Ring) or the original The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. If this Spike Lee remake is good it'll gain an audience. Will it turn more people to the Park Chan-wook version or his Vengeance series? Probably not.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have no problem reading subtitles for a good movie. ? if you only got netflix to watch movies you better be ready to read subtitles.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have no problems supporting Spike Lee opening night for me
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Watched old boy for the first time like 2 weeks ago. I already know spike lee's version wont be as good