Spinoff: For The 10 Thousandth Time...The "African American" vs "Black American" Thread...

Options

Comments

• UnderMiSensi
    UnderMiSensi Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Anansi wrote: »
    I don't think that's his intent at all brah

He's says we should feel proud to be "American". He says that calling ourselves "African" is "false flagging". He says we should feel proud of being "black american"(<wtf is this anyway) and that we "built" this imperial nation that has excluded, disrespected and oppressed us at every turn. I responded based on what he's saying or implying. Obviously his intent is to create a discussion over his controversial opinion, but nothing of substance was said, because there is no substance to these terms anyway. American/African/Black are political terms that are broad in scale but mean nothing, they are labels for confused sheep who want to get caught up in political terms as they pay taxes as wage slaves and not do ? to fix the real issues around them.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sigh...Bruh...If you wanna be broad...None of that ? means anything...They're all labels created by people who died years before you were born...If you wanna be logical...If you are not from Africa by way of birth, or raised by an African immediate family...Why are you putting "African" in front of whatever other country you claim?...Why would you feel okay with someone subcategorizing you?...This ain't bout me bein mad, and what I'm sayin definitely has substance...
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    THE AFRICAN UNION considers so called african americans to be african along with all black people so that should end the debate

Negative, as far as i learnt in grade school, only Haiti was a recognize overseas member, it encourages those in the American continent to participate but no where it considers them....

well you learnt wrong in grade school ? , the african union accepts all individual black people as african
  • zombie
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    Sigh...Bruh...If you wanna be broad...None of that ? means anything...They're all labels created by people who died years before you were born...If you wanna be logical...If you are not from Africa by way of birth, or raised by an African immediate family...Why are you putting "African" in front of whatever other country you claim?...Why would you feel okay with someone subcategorizing you?...This ain't bout me bein mad, and what I'm sayin definitely has substance...

what you are saying has no substance because being african i also genetic and historical.
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    Then white people are African too...Stop bein difficult for no reason ? ...You know good and damn well what I talmbout...Lol...
  • zombie
    Options
    Then white people are African too...Stop bein difficult for no reason ? ...You know good and damn well what I talmbout...Lol...

white people are not african because their origin is not in africa but in europe. i know what you are talking about but you are wrong.
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THE AFRICAN UNION considers so called african americans to be african along with all black people so that should end the debate

Negative, as far as i learnt in grade school, only Haiti was a recognize overseas member, it encourages those in the American continent to participate but no where it considers them....

well you learnt wrong in grade school ? , the african union accepts all individual black people as african

Which mandate is this?
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    Oh...So there were two distinct cradles of civilization...?
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh...So there were two distinct cradles of civilization...?

Time for the mods to move this ? to the social lounge
  • zombie
    Options

Which mandate is this?

? look it up it's all over the internet the au considers african immigants and those who left africa during slavery to be part of the african dispora.

call this number if you don't believe me 202 293 8006 that's the A.U ambassador to america number

• UnderMiSensi
    UnderMiSensi Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options

Then this thread is pointless. Also "black american" is a sub-category. US citizen is a sub category aswell. Your thread is really pointless, if someone identifys that they are of African descent and go with African-American then that's their business and if someone want's to be Black American then whatever because it doesn't really matter, at the end of the day there is only the rich and the poor. So yeah what your saying has no substance and it's not productive, it's just political rhetoric that causes division.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL @ the current POTUS being an East African by nature of paternal roots/ancestry ..

With an 8 year tenure
  • A1000MILES
    Options

Then this thread is pointless. Also "black american" is a sub-category. US citizen is a sub category aswell. Your thread is really pointless, if someone identifys that they are of African descent and go with African-American then that's their business and if someone want's to be Black American then whatever because it doesn't really matter, at the end of the day there is only the rich and the poor. So yeah what your saying has no substance and it's not productive, it's just political rhetoric that causes division.

I'm posin a question...How do you feel about the term "African American"...I not sayin "black american" should be the alternative, as I stated Ion een really like the term "black"...State your opinion...Fight back without feelings...

• rip.dilla
    Options
    nas-nasir-jones-damian-marley-distant-relatives-cd-album-cover-art.jpg

nas-marley-distant-relatives.jpg

The fathers of both these guys speak volumes about their musical influences .. One's called Olu Dara (Yoruba name), a Jazz musician (trumpeter) and the other is arguably the greatest Reggae artiste ever, Robert Nesta Marley (rip.)

I think this album can be used as a vivid example of this discussion
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's ? , Africa is a continent and America is a continent. So saying I'm African or American is too broad and isn't really saying ? . Now from my ? features and texture of hair, I obviously have some "African" descent. Now if you want to get specific, I'm an US citizen of the United States of America born in California making me a Californian with ID and birth cert that says so.

So basically @A1000MILES you want us to be proud to be US citizens of a Nation that classified us as 3/5's human, lynched us, bombed black wall street, feed black/african babies to alligators, initiated dehumanizing jim crow laws, treats their first "black" president like he is a random ? etc. You say your an immigrant from Nigeria and speak on how we should feel or call ourselves like you have some authority to. If we can call each other ? then we can call each other Africans too, they are all just ? political terms anyway, I'm trying to make money like other "races" do instead of bickering about terms like a little child. I would get into how stupid "Black" is as a term aswell but ? it I'll let the ignorance rock it'll be less competition for me when I'm reach the top.

Nice post, though your red bold underline is wrong.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's ? , Africa is a continent and America is a continent. So saying I'm African or American is too broad and isn't really saying ? . Now from my ? features and texture of hair, I obviously have some "African" descent. Now if you want to get specific, I'm an US citizen of the United States of America born in California making me a Californian with ID and birth cert that says so.

So basically @A1000MILES you want us to be proud to be US citizens of a Nation that classified us as 3/5's human, lynched us, bombed black wall street, feed black/african babies to alligators, initiated dehumanizing jim crow laws, treats their first "black" president like he is a random ? etc. You say your an immigrant from Nigeria and speak on how we should feel or call ourselves like you have some authority to. If we can call each other ? then we can call each other Africans too, they are all just ? political terms anyway, I'm trying to make money like other "races" do instead of bickering about terms like a little child. I would get into how stupid "Black" is as a term aswell but ? it I'll let the ignorance rock it'll be less competition for me when I'm reach the top.

Nice post, though your red bold underline is wrong.

In many nations besides the usa , america is one continent not split between north and south
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    People thinking Africa now and think starving kids, bad smelling air, and guerrilla squads that murder women and children. Real life ? , only things coined over here were Black and ? ...Nah call me African Bruh

Africa has a classic example of the Gift & the Curse ..

Blessed with abundant and richest natural resources on Earth (Gift) but since freedom and independence from Euro Colonialism, beset with inept, extremely corrupt and evil "leadership" .. . (Curse)

I still love it 'cos its HOME

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

BossBoo wrote: »
    "i aint from Africa, im from Crenshaw Mafia."

African ? scratcher.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    unless you actively practice customs and your family participates in traditions passed down through generations from a specific country and region in africa....

you're not an african american...
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    Why isn't it termed 'American African' with more emphasis on being American?
  • zombie
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Why isn't it termed 'American African' with more emphasis on being American?

because race has historically played a more important role in american life than nationality.
  • zombie
    Options
    bunch of confused africans on this forum
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Different Strokes For Different Folks just made this similar argument a few weeks ago about when do we slave descent/ Diaspora American Blacks Finally become recognized and are own autonomous population given the visible variations and distinctions we have from the general african populace but hey no problem with kats Identifying either way given I can trace my Creole lineage to Haiti I have multiple native american tribes equally with the white lineage in my bloodline I look at my self personally as a American in the truest sense...
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Mexicans are Hispanic whites, or possibly Hispanic Native Americans
    fixed that for you
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    but u get my point
    well, sort of. i mean, many Asians will tell you Oriental is dismissive