WHAT BLACK/AFRICAN/SLAVE STORIES WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE?

MARIO_DRO
MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in R & R (Religion and Race)
**smh, i had to put grown and sexy in the title cause they keep sending my ? to the lights camera action side of the field**

Every time a black movie comes out; most recently The Butler and 12 years a Slave, the IC complains that they are tired of seeing slave/servant/depressing black movies like that and they would rather much see more Django; ? the white man types of Movies....

When "The Great Debaters" came out, It was VERY POSITIVE... Had Denzel, Forrest, and Oprah backing it; guess what, IT FLOPPED!.. Red Tails...FLOPPED! Akeelah and the Bee....FLOPPED!

Lets be honest, most black people won't support a movie that isn’t comedy or a Tyler Perry Film, so why should ANY body use their hard earned money and bring a story that will cause them to lose money???

But anyway, back to the topic at hand.

I would love to see a movie about the Underground Rail Road, I think that would be dope! Nothing uncut! So the whole struggle, the whole story of Harriet Tubman...

OAN, I would love for Hollywood to make a "TRUE" CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS MOVIE.. I think that ish would be soooo powerful and open the eyes of the younger generation on who this man REALLY was and what he did!

Comments

• 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Antlerz
    Antlerz Members Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The FAB 5. They set off a lotta ? and didn't get paidFab-Five-in-black-Nike-Air-Force-Max-and-black-Nike-socks.jpg
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the revolution in haiti and how the dominicans think they are not black
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited November 2013
    Dro droppin gems this morning? Yea, both of those would be ill af. Of course a Nat turner or marcus garvey flick would be good to see.
  • Antlerz
    I wouldn't mind a George Washington Carver movie
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Great Debaters & Akeelah & The Bee didn't flop though
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe one about modern day slavery. like what goes on in africa today. but that would probably flop, seeing as how people only get behind the atrocities that happed several generations ago and they don't have to carry the burden of doing nothing about what is happening today.
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But to answer the thread, I would like to see a Musa I of Mali film
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure Harriet Jacobs would be a good story. Black female slave, Hollywood likes victimized women stories.
  • MARIO_DRO
    pralims wrote: »

...WHATS CRAZY IS HAITI AND D.R. BORDER EACH OTHER AND I HAVE SEEN PLEENNNNNTY OF D.R. MEN AND WOMEN THAT LOOK BLACK, NAPPY HEADS AND ALL
  • MARIO_DRO
    Antlerz wrote: »
    The FAB 5. They set off a lotta ? and didn't get paidFab-Five-in-black-Nike-Air-Force-Max-and-black-Nike-socks.jpg

ESPN 30 FOR 30 ALREADY COVERED THAT.. THIS WONT MAKE IT TO FILM
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    I wanna see a movie about the Black Panthers and a movie about Elijah Muhammad would be dope too.
  • Matt-

you can't be serious
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    slave flicks are played...

i wanna see an Angela Davis or Assata Shakur movie made
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

But Levi and Ephraim are brotheren.....

And U.E.N.O
  • MARIO_DRO
    Trillfate wrote: »
    slave flicks are played...

i wanna see an Angela Davis or Assata Shakur movie made

NOT REALLY DOE...

CAUSE I NEVER KNEW OF THE ACCOUNT OF 12 YEARS A SLAVE.. IM SURE THERE ARE MANY MORE DIFFERENT TYPES OF SLAVES MOVIES THAT HAVE DIFFERENT ACCOUNTS AND TWIST TO THEM
  • Antlerz

...WHATS CRAZY IS HAITI AND D.R. BORDER EACH OTHER AND I HAVE SEEN PLEENNNNNTY OF D.R. MEN AND WOMEN THAT LOOK BLACK, NAPPY HEADS AND ALL[/quote]

A lot of them won't tell your their black though
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh...and how about a movie about the GOAT

Marcus Mosiah Garvey

• Matt-
    i see historical movies the same way i want to see documentaries and such....i want it to be about an event/person that i previously knew nothing about. like the ernie davis movie. didn't know too much about him, and i really didn't think it was a great movie, but it was interesting because pretty much everything was new to me in the film.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    I typically don't do the movies but I'm in for a legit Tupac movie. Need live footage Jada and Madonna naked included.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

...WHATS CRAZY IS HAITI AND D.R. BORDER EACH OTHER AND I HAVE SEEN PLEENNNNNTY OF D.R. MEN AND WOMEN THAT LOOK BLACK, NAPPY HEADS AND ALL

Yall need to watch the PBS special on that. http://video.pbs.org/video/1877436791/

? was deep.

To answer the question. The story of the Seminoles and slaves in Florida.
    The Black Seminoles are a small offshoot of the Gullah who escaped from the rice plantations in South Carolina and Georgia. They built their own settlements on the Florida frontier, fought a series of wars to preserve their freedom, and were scattered across North America. They have played a significant role in American history, but have never received the recognition they deserve.

Some Gullah slaves managed to escape from coastal South Carolina and Georgia south into the Florida peninsula. In the 18th century Florida was a vast tropical wilderness, covered with jungles and malaria-ridden swamps. The Spanish claimed Florida, but they used it only as a buffer between the British Colonies and their own settled territories farther south. They wanted to keep Florida as a dangerous wilderness frontier, so they offered a refuge to escaped slaves and renegade Indians from neighboring South Carolina and Georgia. The Gullahs were establishing their own free settlements in the Florida wilderness by at least the late 1700s. They built separate villages of thatched-roof houses surrounded by fields of corn and swamp rice, and they maintained friendly relations with the mixed population of refugee Indians. In time, the two groups came to view themselves as parts of the same loosely organized tribe, in which blacks held important positions of leadership. The Gullahs adopted Indian clothing, while the Indians acquired a taste for rice and appreciation for Gullah music and folklore. But the Gullahs were physically more suited to the tropical climate and possessed an indispensable knowledge of tropical agriculture; and, without their assistance, the Indians would not have been able to cope effectively with the Florida environment. The two groups led an independent life in the wilderness of northern Florida, rearing several generations of children in freedom—and they recognized the American settlers and slave owners as their common enemy. The Americans called the Florida Indians "Seminoles," from the Spanish word cimarron, meaning "wild" or "untamed"; and they called the runaway Gullahs "Seminole Negroes" or "Indian Negroes." Modern historians have called these free Gullah frontiersmen the "Black Seminoles." The Seminole settlements in Spanish Florida increased as more and more runaway slaves and renegade Indians escaped south—and conflict with the Americans was, sooner or later, inevitable. There were skirmishes in 1812 and 1816. In 1818, General Andrew Jackson led an American army into Florida to claim it for the United States, and war finally erupted. The blacks and Indians fought side-by-side in a desperate struggle to stop the American advance, but they were defeated and driven south into the more remote wilderness of central and southern Florida. General Jackson (later President) referred to this First Seminole War as an "Indian and ? War." In 1835, the Second Seminole War broke out, and this full-scale guerrilla war would last for six years and claim the lives of 1,500 American soldiers. The Black Seminoles waged the fiercest resistance, as they feared that capture or surrender meant death or return to slavery—and they were more adept at living and fighting in the jungles than their Indian comrades. The American commander, General Jesup, informed the War Department that, "This, you may be assured, is a ? and not an Indian war"; and a U.S. Congressman of the period commented that these black fighters were "contending against the whole military power of the United States." When the Army finally captured the Black Seminoles, officers refused to return them to slavery—fearing that these seasoned warriors, accustomed to their freedom, would wreak havoc on the Southern plantations. In 1842, the Army forcibly removed them, along with their Indian comrades, to Indian Territory (now Oklahoma) in the unsettled West.

The Black Seminoles, exiled from their Florida strongholds, were forced to continue their struggle for freedom on the Western frontier. In Oklahoma, the Government put them under the authority of the Creek Indians, slave owners who tried to curb their freedom; and white slave traders came at night to kidnap their women and children. In 1850, a group of Black Seminoles and Seminole Indians escaped south across Texas to the desert badlands of northern Mexico. They established a free settlement and, as in Florida, began to attract runaway slaves from across the border. In 1855, a heavily armed band of Texas Rangers rode into Mexico to destroy the Seminole settlement, but the blacks and Indians stopped them and forced them back into the U.S. The Indians soon returned to Oklahoma, but the Black Seminoles remained in Mexico, fighting constantly to protect their settlement from the marauding Comanche and Apache Indians. In 1870, after emancipation of the slaves in the United States, the U.S. Cavalry in southern Texas invited some of the Black Seminoles to return and join the Army—and it officially established the "Seminole ? Indian Scouts." In 1875, three of the Scouts won the Congressional Medal of Honor—America's highest military decoration—in a single engagement with the Comanche Indians on the Pecos River. The Black Seminoles had fled the rice plantations, built their own free settlements in the Florida wilderness, and then fought almost continuously for fifty years to preserve their freedom. It is little wonder they should provide some of the finest soldiers in the U.S. Cavalry.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

The latter part is a big topic in sociology, and there are documentaries on it too.

Cosign the first one though. Haiti was inspiration for revolt in a lot of other countries.
  • Antlerz

ESPN 30 FOR 30 ALREADY COVERED THAT.. THIS WONT MAKE IT TO FILM

I WANT A MOTION PICTURE!
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    I would like to see a movie about black people in ? germany
    or a re-make of shaka zulu
    how about a marcus garvey movie
This discussion has been closed.