WHAT BLACK/AFRICAN/SLAVE STORIES WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE?

2»

Comments

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    actually, i just wish someone had been filming the miamia dolphins during the off-season
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt- wrote: »
    actually, i just wish someone had been filming the miamia dolphins during the off-season

DONT KNOW WHO THAT IS, BUT COOL...
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.I would like to see a Black Panther Miniseries like how Roots was done. To give you some real BPP history a 90 min movie wont do it.

2. Steve Biko over in Africa. This cat was so powerful he was banned from talking to more than 1 person at a time.

3. I would like to see a Fred Hampton movie.

And someone already mentioned a movie about the Slave uprisings in Haiti.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Damn I just completely ignore the O/P. My bad
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt- wrote: »

DONT KNOW WHO THAT IS, BUT COOL...

its the miami version of the lil john beeya beeya
  • MARIO_DRO
    a movie on black jack johnson would be dope

HAHAHAHAH FUKIN THE ? OUTTA WHITE WOMEN AND BEATIN WHITE MEN ASS IN THE RING! HAHAHA
  • MARIO_DRO
    Cain1 wrote: »
    A Blackwall St movie should be made.

Thread title was ? so I'm assuming the reason for the lock

NAW MAN.. I PUT THAT GROWN AND SEXY IN THERE CAUSE 1 OF YALL KEPT MOVIN IT... LET DRO COOK IN THE GnS
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a movie on Kwame Nkrumah...Or Huey Newton, I think Terrence Howard could do it, cuh..,Or a real Tupac movie, better than Biggie's een though I still watch Notorious...
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd like to see a movie on jack Johnson

i wanna see that ? the trumpet player movie don chedale supposed to be putting together...

wouldn't mind seeing another Vietnam flick like dead presidents....
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    caddo man wrote: »
    pralims wrote: »
    the revolution in haiti and how the dominicans think they are not black
    pralims wrote: »
    the revolution in haiti and how the dominicans think they are not black

...WHATS CRAZY IS HAITI AND D.R. BORDER EACH OTHER AND I HAVE SEEN PLEENNNNNTY OF D.R. MEN AND WOMEN THAT LOOK BLACK, NAPPY HEADS AND ALL

Yall need to watch the PBS special on that. http://video.pbs.org/video/1877436791/

? was deep.

To answer the question. The story of the Seminoles and slaves in Florida.
    The Black Seminoles are a small offshoot of the Gullah who escaped from the rice plantations in South Carolina and Georgia. They built their own settlements on the Florida frontier, fought a series of wars to preserve their freedom, and were scattered across North America. They have played a significant role in American history, but have never received the recognition they deserve.

Some Gullah slaves managed to escape from coastal South Carolina and Georgia south into the Florida peninsula. In the 18th century Florida was a vast tropical wilderness, covered with jungles and malaria-ridden swamps. The Spanish claimed Florida, but they used it only as a buffer between the British Colonies and their own settled territories farther south. They wanted to keep Florida as a dangerous wilderness frontier, so they offered a refuge to escaped slaves and renegade Indians from neighboring South Carolina and Georgia. The Gullahs were establishing their own free settlements in the Florida wilderness by at least the late 1700s. They built separate villages of thatched-roof houses surrounded by fields of corn and swamp rice, and they maintained friendly relations with the mixed population of refugee Indians. In time, the two groups came to view themselves as parts of the same loosely organized tribe, in which blacks held important positions of leadership. The Gullahs adopted Indian clothing, while the Indians acquired a taste for rice and appreciation for Gullah music and folklore. But the Gullahs were physically more suited to the tropical climate and possessed an indispensable knowledge of tropical agriculture; and, without their assistance, the Indians would not have been able to cope effectively with the Florida environment. The two groups led an independent life in the wilderness of northern Florida, rearing several generations of children in freedom—and they recognized the American settlers and slave owners as their common enemy. The Americans called the Florida Indians "Seminoles," from the Spanish word cimarron, meaning "wild" or "untamed"; and they called the runaway Gullahs "Seminole Negroes" or "Indian Negroes." Modern historians have called these free Gullah frontiersmen the "Black Seminoles." The Seminole settlements in Spanish Florida increased as more and more runaway slaves and renegade Indians escaped south—and conflict with the Americans was, sooner or later, inevitable. There were skirmishes in 1812 and 1816. In 1818, General Andrew Jackson led an American army into Florida to claim it for the United States, and war finally erupted. The blacks and Indians fought side-by-side in a desperate struggle to stop the American advance, but they were defeated and driven south into the more remote wilderness of central and southern Florida. General Jackson (later President) referred to this First Seminole War as an "Indian and ? War." In 1835, the Second Seminole War broke out, and this full-scale guerrilla war would last for six years and claim the lives of 1,500 American soldiers. The Black Seminoles waged the fiercest resistance, as they feared that capture or surrender meant death or return to slavery—and they were more adept at living and fighting in the jungles than their Indian comrades. The American commander, General Jesup, informed the War Department that, "This, you may be assured, is a ? and not an Indian war"; and a U.S. Congressman of the period commented that these black fighters were "contending against the whole military power of the United States." When the Army finally captured the Black Seminoles, officers refused to return them to slavery—fearing that these seasoned warriors, accustomed to their freedom, would wreak havoc on the Southern plantations. In 1842, the Army forcibly removed them, along with their Indian comrades, to Indian Territory (now Oklahoma) in the unsettled West.

The Black Seminoles, exiled from their Florida strongholds, were forced to continue their struggle for freedom on the Western frontier. In Oklahoma, the Government put them under the authority of the Creek Indians, slave owners who tried to curb their freedom; and white slave traders came at night to kidnap their women and children. In 1850, a group of Black Seminoles and Seminole Indians escaped south across Texas to the desert badlands of northern Mexico. They established a free settlement and, as in Florida, began to attract runaway slaves from across the border. In 1855, a heavily armed band of Texas Rangers rode into Mexico to destroy the Seminole settlement, but the blacks and Indians stopped them and forced them back into the U.S. The Indians soon returned to Oklahoma, but the Black Seminoles remained in Mexico, fighting constantly to protect their settlement from the marauding Comanche and Apache Indians. In 1870, after emancipation of the slaves in the United States, the U.S. Cavalry in southern Texas invited some of the Black Seminoles to return and join the Army—and it officially established the "Seminole ? Indian Scouts." In 1875, three of the Scouts won the Congressional Medal of Honor—America's highest military decoration—in a single engagement with the Comanche Indians on the Pecos River. The Black Seminoles had fled the rice plantations, built their own free settlements in the Florida wilderness, and then fought almost continuously for fifty years to preserve their freedom. It is little wonder they should provide some of the finest soldiers in the U.S. Cavalry.

GOAT...

If ur interested in that...i there is more info on the Seminole Indians of Florida and the first encounters Columbus and his men had with them. There are records of them being HEBREWS....irs no coincidence there were black Seminoles bruh.....

read this book...It goes into more detail about the contact they made and dialogue they had...real interesting read

9780316770088.jpg

Also check out @waterproof thread on the r&r about Hebrew Israelites. He speaks about this as well.

This discussion has been closed.