Pregnancy & Irrational Fears

Options
MistyKnight
MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
What were some of your irrational fears?
Was the end outcome as scary as you imagined?
How did you cope with the constant worrying?

I find myself constantly worrying about everything & dreading what I may experience while in labor. I spoke with a few women from class & they all seem to have had HORRIBLE experiences but somehow they said they knew someone who had a quick & easy experience... then they try to reassure me by saying everyone is different. Riiiiight.

Being a first time mom, I am terrified at the thought of giving birth & even what may come afterward.
I'm scared that i'll make a mistake as I don't know the first thing about taking care of a newborn.

I also fear developing PPD as I've always had high anxiety & between caring for a newborn, going to school, & working I feel that i'm the perfect candidate for someone developing ppd given all of the stress I will be enduring, regardless of all of the support that I have.

& ofcourse there's the whole thing with the baby being born with 20 fingers & 2 toes...etc.

Lawd Jesus Help Me!

tumblr_inline_mo8waj3wVI1qz4rgp.gif

Comments

• deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
  • MoneyPowerRespect
    MoneyPowerRespect Members Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well..this was my second bby & the phrase 'everybody is different' couldn't have been truer.

My first one was smooth sailing w/ no worries, but with my second I was in CONSTANT fear that I would die in a car accident or that the world would end on some Walking Dead ? . I almost cried while watching The Red Wedding.
    I was reassured by my s/o constantly.

GET THAT EPIDURAL..
    With my second, after the epidural & they broke my water, his heart rate dropped and when he came out they saw that the cord was wrapped around his neck. They had to use forceps to get him out.
    I say that to say, that ? is RARE. I never expected ANY of that to happen.

Newborns are weird creatures...btw
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    I didn't really have any fears while I was pregnant ....except one .....

To ? on myself during delivery

:(

Thankfully that did not happen

I had a pretty easy pregnancy and enjoyed most if it . Towards the end it was hard to sleep though
  • MoneyPowerRespect
    Options
    @MsSouthern

That happened to me lol
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Poor little baby gonna come out with worry warts all over it.
  • Empress_
    Empress_ Members Posts: 246 ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I had the greatest pregnancy, loved every bit of it; minus waking up 100 times to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. I was blessed and fortunate not to have any pain or morning sickness at all, heartburn was the only discomfort I really experienced towards the end.

Just a little piece of advice:

-Walk often. It will help greatly with labor. This is not a time to get lazy, stay just as active if not more, unless advised otherwise by a doctor. Pregnancy does not mean slack off, it's not an excuse to start eating reckless and unhealthy. Yes, you are eating for two, but make good choices now for the health of your child as well as yourself. The more unnecessary weight you gain now due to the mentality which a lot of women have "I'm pregnant, I can eat anything I want", the more you have to lose post baby. And you want to give your unborn child the best nutrition.

-Calm down, quiet the mind, breathe and perhaps do some yoga or some form of mediation. Added stress won't help you or the baby, find something to relieve some of it and stay at peace. The more relaxed you remain, even with all the new beginnings coming your way, the more prepared you will be.

Don't plan too far in advance ie. school years but focus on the now. Are you breastfeeding, formula or breast and bottle with breast milk?

I am a strong advocate for breast feeding for numerous reasons. Not only is it the best and most natural thing you can give your child but it also:

*protects baby from illnesses (ie. if you have had the chicken pox, those antibodies will also protect your child while they breastfeed)
    *protects you from different viruses and cancers like breast.
    *Tightens your vaginal walls back up as during this time those muscles are contracting.
    *helps shed the baby weight.

It's a beautiful time spent connecting with baby that you will come to cherish once you get the hang of it.

I'd recommended breast as well as pumping in order to introduce the bottle sooner than later. This also helps avoid any chances of mastitis between feedings which is extremely painful.

-Most importantly, stop listening to any and everybody. Experiences differ, not just between women but you could have 4 children and each experience could be completely contradictory. Most of what you hear will go out the window once it is time to deliver. You have your youth working for you physically, prepare yourself and pay no mind to the horror stories.

I only started showing at around 6 months, prior to that only my loved ones knew and I preferred it that way. Keep this sacred.

And last but not least.....

As much as we come to love our body pillows, there is no room for them post baby/breastfeeding. This is a universal fact amongst all significant others!

Be well, stay healthy, do what's best for you and your partner. Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy your sleep now @Khaleesi.

:)
  • THOT PILGRIM
    THOT PILGRIM Members Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I was pregnant there were a gang of stories about baby snatchers and crazy chicks faking pregnancies and killing pregnant women so they'd have a baby at the end of their "pregnancy"

I was afraid of making new friends while pregnant in fear that I might become close to one of those cuckoo broads and they shoot me in the face and carve my baby out of my belly with a swiss knife in a dark alley

I stayed super isolated my whole pregnancy...
  • MoneyPowerRespect
    Options
    Breastfeeding is GOAT. it allows the best bonding time with your bby. I breastfeed and pump and it's great.

Empress is right too. Stressing yourself isn't good for anyone. Journaling helped me.
  • LadyDu
    LadyDu Members Posts: 283 ✭✭
    Options
    my two cents:
    my fear of labor was not being able to handle the pain.... but once you accept the fact that IT HURTS LIKE HELL you will be able to magically see past it i don't know how else to explain that.... our bodies are made for the whole labor and birth processes... and once you see and hear your child when they plop their tiny slimy bodies in your arms everything else is minuet

i had slight ppd but my husband was such a great support system it made it easier to snap back and enjoy my bundle of joy. so my advice is to take all the help and support you can for the first 2 or 3 weeks so that you can rest and regroup but dont ignore baby...

hope my rambling helped
  • LadyDu
    LadyDu Members Posts: 283 ✭✭
    Options
    Breastfeeding is GOAT. it allows the best bonding time with your bby. I breastfeed and pump and it's great.

Empress is right too. Stressing yourself isn't good for anyone. Journaling helped me.

AGREED!!!! breastfeeding will help with any fears as well
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    all that enfamil and similac ? is soy based...

and soy in developing children escalats their estrogen levels....

meaning if you gotta girl she gonna start puberty @ 8

and if you gotta boy, he gonna be feminine as ? .....

that's why i was a breast feeding ? ...the end was prolly more painful for me than anyone else
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't find breastfeeding to be a process that helped me bond with my baby.

It stressed me out and after a month I switched to formula and things got much better.

I really think it depends on the individual and their circumstances.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Made a chick take a plan B pill infront of me once cause I went raw, even tho she was on birth control pills. I don't take changes.
  • Kat
    Options
  • Kat
    Options
    And yes you do take chances, because you ? her raw and chanced catching the monster.

I guess that's better than a baby though right?
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    And yes you do take chances, because you ? her raw and chanced catching the monster.

some good points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWmeB7mY_E0
  • Kat
    Options
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Kat wrote: »

lmao at getting the monster in rural MN, but I wasn't really worried about it seeing as how it wasn't like some spur of the moment thing. I think I actually hanged out with her like 3 times before I smashed. Actually more than that cause it was just dry wristies and blowies starting out.

But yes, Aids would be better than a kid.
  • MoneyPowerRespect
    Options
    Du_Du wrote: »
    all that enfamil and similac ? is soy based...

and soy in developing children escalats their estrogen levels....

meaning if you gotta girl she gonna start puberty @ 8

and if you gotta boy, he gonna be feminine as ? .....

that's why i was a breast feeding ? ...the end was prolly more painful for me than anyone else

Formula is expensive as ? .
    I don't like how it smells either. Boobie milk smells sweet (to me at least).

My s/o is going thru this right now lol
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Empress_ wrote: »
    I had the greatest pregnancy, loved every bit of it; minus waking up 100 times to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. I was blessed and fortunate not to have any pain or morning sickness at all, heartburn was the only discomfort I really experienced towards the end.

Just a little piece of advice:

-Walk often. It will help greatly with labor. This is not a time to get lazy, stay just as active if not more, unless advised otherwise by a doctor. Pregnancy does not mean slack off, it's not an excuse to start eating reckless and unhealthy. Yes, you are eating for two, but make good choices now for the health of your child as well as yourself. The more unnecessary weight you gain now due to the mentality which a lot of women have "I'm pregnant, I can eat anything I want", the more you have to lose post baby. And you want to give your unborn child the best nutrition.

-Calm down, quiet the mind, breathe and perhaps do some yoga or some form of mediation. Added stress won't help you or the baby, find something to relieve some of it and stay at peace. The more relaxed you remain, even with all the new beginnings coming your way, the more prepared you will be.

Don't plan too far in advance ie. school years but focus on the now. Are you breastfeeding, formula or breast and bottle with breast milk?

I am a strong advocate for breast feeding for numerous reasons. Not only is it the best and most natural thing you can give your child but it also:

*protects baby from illnesses (ie. if you have had the chicken pox, those antibodies will also protect your child while they breastfeed)
    *protects you from different viruses and cancers like breast.
    *Tightens your vaginal walls back up as during this time those muscles are contracting.
    *helps shed the baby weight.

It's a beautiful time spent connecting with baby that you will come to cherish once you get the hang of it.

I'd recommended breast as well as pumping in order to introduce the bottle sooner than later. This also helps avoid any chances of mastitis between feedings which is extremely painful.

-Most importantly, stop listening to any and everybody. Experiences differ, not just between women but you could have 4 children and each experience could be completely contradictory. Most of what you hear will go out the window once it is time to deliver. You have your youth working for you physically, prepare yourself and pay no mind to the horror stories.

I only started showing at around 6 months, prior to that only my loved ones knew and I preferred it that way. Keep this sacred.

And last but not least.....

As much as we come to love our body pillows, there is no room for them post baby/breastfeeding. This is a universal fact amongst all significant others!

Be well, stay healthy, do what's best for you and your partner. Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy your sleep now @Khaleesi.

:)

Wifey's killing me with that irrational fear ? right now, she's reading this masterpiece tonight.

If I hear "Yeah I understand that, but what if..." one more time

frustrated.gif