Which Car Lasts Longer BMW or Audi

Options
MazterChef
MazterChef Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in Let Me Ride
Looking at the a4 audi or
3 Series Bmw which car is the most reliable after 10 years?
My friend has an audi that's always giving trouble should i go the bm route?

Comments

• Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both are iffy... I wanna say that BMW is worse but all hell breaks loose once the warranties expire for both.
  • MazterChef
    MazterChef Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Q45T wrote: »
    Both are iffy... I wanna say that BMW is worse but all hell breaks loose once the warranties expire for both.
    everybody is telling me something different im soo confused
    i have a friend thatowns an audi, to him its terrible i never see people complaining about a bmw except one guy , even heard people ? about the mercedes

• qtipp73
    qtipp73 Members Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buy domestic my dude. ? always wanna grab a german whip. support our own brands. Lincoln is a reliable car brand if u want luxury
  • Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stay away from those German brands b
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    get a wagon, not a station wagon, a actually wagon
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What year models for both? If they're out of warranty I hope you got deep pockets or can do your own work.
  • Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The German cars aren't staples for high mileage.

If you're going to do it I would stay away from a forced induction one. (Turbo)

That being said id rock with an older bmw if I had to make the choice.
    Still gonna cost you.

Meanwhile, I drive a 20-year old Acura every day to work like its nothing. Windows rolled up tight a/c blowing.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It really all depends on how well the car was/is taken care of. All manufacturers have issues. Foreign cars are usually more expensive to maintain and as such, people dont handle them well. Having said that, BMW makes an overall better car to me. That's not to say an Audi cant 'outlast' a BMW.
  • King_MOEbra
    King_MOEbra Members Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doubletee wrote: »
    Lexus probably outlast both...
    Japanese engineering can't beat it
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    most of it really comes down to how well you maintain your car and take care of it, that being said, plenty of cars do have some common problems amongst specific models. look up the tsbs and do some google searches about the common problems with the specific model you're looking at.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    well my patans Audi caught on fire and blew up a couple of months ago.

MY beammer always has something wrong with it. I fix it then something else breaks I put more money into the car than I paid for. Right now the starter is dead I just got another one.

BENZ>>>
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lexus is rated number 1 in reliability and quality
  • Sage Wonder
    Sage Wonder Members Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    b00kie wrote: »
    The German cars aren't staples for high mileage.

If you're going to do it I would stay away from a forced induction one. (Turbo)

That being said id rock with an older bmw if I had to make the choice.
    Still gonna cost you.

Meanwhile, I drive a 20-year old Acura every day to work like its nothing. Windows rolled up tight a/c blowing.

The bolded is not necessarily true. The older 3 and 5 series with the M54 engine were known to last over 200,000 miles and still ride decent if you took care of it.

All current BMW models are turbo-charged and direct injected. I can't say for sure about audi but that's pretty much the way most high end manufacturers are going.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    get a damn lexus.
  • DGTL
    DGTL Members Posts: 9
    edited November 2013
    Options
    MazterChef wrote: »
    Looking at the a4 audi or
    3 Series Bmw which car is the most reliable after 10 years?
    My friend has an audi that's always giving trouble should i go the bm route?

I drive a Audi 06' RS4 and had a A4 before it - 3.0 Diesel engine ...
    you have to treat it right ... Same counts for the BMW ...
    My rules for buying Audi : never buy a diesel, unless 3.0 + above and under 100.000 Miles ...
    The ones with gas are pretty stable and easily last for 200K miles and above when you always do service
    an chit ... With any audi you'll have troubles after about 140K miles regarding the turbo and the oil pump ... costs about 3K ... BMW is same chit different toilette ... treat it right, always do all services, and you'll be fine with both ... but always remember - premium cars = premium costs ...