School me on the hunger games series

Options
PILL_COSBY
PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
The first movie had all types of hype behind it because lots of people were fans of the book. From all the promo to me it looked like some kind of survival game of death to get a meal or some ? . I like movies like that so I was thinking about checking it out. But then I started seeing hella teenage girls screaming about it so then I started to think it was on some twilight type ? . Like a teen pop movie or chick flick type of movie. Recently I was like "? all that, i'm going to check this ? out". But then I just seen promo for another hunger games movie That looks nothing like the 1st one. Then I realized that there was like another movie that came out before this one. So now I'm just realizing that this is a series on some lord of the rings harry potter type of ? .

Now, I just don't want to watch the 1st movie and then have to watch the others. So I just want to know with less spoilers as possible the premise of this whole series. If it's more on some twilight type ? then I aint ? with it. But if it's on some lord of the rings type ? then I'm ? wit it. I already read up on it but it really doesn't break it down.

School me on the hunger games people.

Comments

• UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options
    that ? is on some ? or be killed reality show ? (the first one) but its in movie format cause the reality show is within the context of the movie. its good enough for atleast one watch

i didnt see the 2nd one the whole way yet. it didnt start off as good as the first but ppl are saying its good so im bout to watch the whole thing right now

• rantanamo
    rantanamo Members Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Options
    Haven't read the books, but have seen the two movies. Without spoilers, the movie takes place in the future. Not sure when, but after there's been some sort of war or nuclear holocaust. The US has been divided up into districts instead of the current states that we live in. Each state contributes their resources to the country as a whole and the economies and lifestyles reflect each district, as the disaster or war or whatever has rendered things more primitive. Not 1800s or anything, but seems to feel like maybe the 1930s. Since resources are more shared and things more basic, the government has also formed a sort of psychological control over the people. Part of that is the Hunger Games. Basically, as tribute to the government, one kid is chosen from each district through a drawing to compete in this game. To the poor people in the districts, this is a source of fear, while its a source of amusement to the wealthier people in the cities and in the wealthier district. They view it on TV like a Survivor type reality show. They parade the competitors around and dress them up, etc.

The games themselves is basically a big survival competition. There's this controlled area that's like a big dome with a forest inside of it. Those that control the game can put in random animals, change weather, etc. The only way to win is to survive, and there is only one survivor. So they get to train and stuff after being chosen, and they get handicapped for betting, people sponsor them and send stuff like medicine to them during the games, etc. Its pretty wild. Lots of violence and death. Its just a bunch of kids and teenagers. Some kids have an advantage because their districts train for this their whole lives. Other districts are victims and are really on the edge of revolution. The games are supposed to control them as any of their children or neighbors can be chosen.

The aspect that girls like is that there is some teenage romance. Its nothing like Twilight though, and is more background, while survival, revolution and seeing aspects of the society take far more importance.

I would recommend it. Watch the first movie. Its pretty violent. Much more than many expect given the star of the movie. Plenty of survival type action. Lots of knife fighting, arrows, bullying, ? traps. PRetty interesting stuff. The societal stuff is interesting as well. A much better take on the idea of a purge or a lottery than that stupid Purge movie. The second movie is a continuation and is just a better movie, but the first is certainly necessary to understand what is going on and to get a taste of what the games are and what they mean.

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    you pretty much summed up what it's about in the op...

the books are 'young adult' so that's why the movie(s) appeals to teens because they were written for that demographic.
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    So basically

mad max + V + the running man = the hunger games?

The movie is called the hunger games but it really has nothing to do with food? just rich people taking advantage of the poor?
    rantanamo wrote: »
    A much better take on the idea of a purge or a lottery than that stupid Purge movie
    Hold up!!!, the purge was G.O.A.T!!! Something different and so left field. Had a great message about human beings too. Movie was a little too short but it did what it was meant to do. You trying to tell me that the message the purge delivered <<< the hunger games take on it?
    the books are 'young adult' so that's why the movie(s) appeals to teens because they were written for that demographic.
    Did the films leave out important stuff that's in the book?

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    The movie is called the hunger games but it really has nothing to do with food? just rich people taking advantage of the poor?
    the closest comparison is probly battle royale.

but yea it's the government putting on this big ceremony of people killing each other for entertainment. but the participants need sponsors & stuff to help em out during the games so if they like you, they send out care packages of food/water, weapons, health supplies, etc. it's basically just them in nature so they run out of food & ? quick. these games last until only one person is left so they could go on for days, weeks, months...
    Did the films leave out important stuff that's in the book?
    i've only seen the first movie & read the first book but the movie goes pretty much goes exactly how it went in the book.

i think they either changed or left out a little bit of katniss's background in the movie but nothing major was different.