Statistically, launch is the worst time to buy a console

Options
2»

Comments

• major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still have a a launch fat boy PS3. I would have all my old systems too if my parents house didnt flood back in schoo. Some of you cats scary as ? . Talking about dont buy at launch. ? I buy what the ? I want, when I want. Use any major credit card and you will likely get a 2 year warranty out of it too.

AMEX >>>
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    What's the deal of not buying it now don't most game systems have warranty anyway

I have other priorities in my life that trump gaming with ease. My 3DS is good enough for me right now. I could spend $500 plus dollars on detailing my car or furnishing my new apartment or getting some much needed R&R by going on vacation for a couple of weeks. There are only 2 games across both consoles that I even want at this point so there's no real value there. By the time I buy these consoles there will be better hardware out the box with the kinks worked out, a price drop and a lot more than just 2 video games to grab my attention.

Right now the only home console on the market I see any value in is Wii U because there are about 8 games I want to play on it already available right now. With some of those games being available at reduced prices and more games I want coming out within the next 5 months. The only reason I won't buy that either this holiday season is purely psychological. I don't feel it's worth $300 so I refuse to pay that for the hardware despite it having more than a handful of software I'd like to ? with. As soon as there's a price drop (maybe by spring time depending on how the holiday goes for Nintendo) though I'm copping that before any of the other 2.

You sound like me I rather at least get another year or 2 out of the PS3/360 before I move on and sell both of my consoles. I just upgraded last year, so what do I look like throwing up $600 - 800 out the gate for a next gen console that hasn't really been tested and a gaming library that has 20-25 games to start out with? I'd say at least 6-7 of those are rehashes from the last gen. I rather wait until the bugs/issues from both consoles are fixed then put $400 -500 into either one and then have to send it back to the company they already got videos of ppl buying them out the gate and some of them are not working right. Who knows by the time I get a console MS/Sony might be working on the slim models and eventually we know it gone happen.

kanggoodie wrote: »
    ^^^ titangraoh was not needed .. you Coulda stopped at priorities.. sheesh

And ? need to ? this price drops talk.. if you waiting on a price drop u ain't coppin next gen till like 2015/16

See this is why I kind of don't like responding in these type of thread in a way b/c of cats with your type of thinking. I rather wait for a price drop in 2015 then shell out $400 -500 w/tax and then pay $60+ for games. By this time next year there will probably be price drops for the PS4/XB1 during the Black Friday & Holiday sales in 2014. Who knows they might knock a $100 off a system or come up with a bundle that justify the current price tags for each system. Right now, imo neither system are worth the price tags Sony/MS are asking for. So you can go ahead and pay $400-500 for w/e system you get (it's your money) and I'll just wait for a price drop in November - December of 2014 or 2015 with a much cheaper price tag.
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And u keep playing them dusty ass new games when they come out.. cause just like when ps3 came out and the ps2 ports just didnt cut it no more, the same ? is about to happen to current/last gen. Like u said tho its yo money mane.. I dont see why so many people ridicule and watch other ? pockets
  • willhustle
    Options
    And u keep playing them dusty ass new games when they come out.. cause just like when ps3 came out and the ps2 ports just didnt cut it no more, the same ? is about to happen to current/last gen. Like u said tho its yo money mane.. I dont see why so many people ridicule and watch other ? pockets

For the record, I ain't got to watch nobody pockets on this ? my nig so FOH talking that ? . If playing "dusty" ass new games on PS3/360 hold my interest until I decide on what next gen console I choose to buy then so be it. Also, PS3 wasn't doing that well out the gate at the beginning of last gen b/c of the price tag. It got so bad Sony had to take one of those consoles of the market. It took 2 yrs b/c Sony gained some ground off PS3.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I remember PS3 struggling so bad that they dropped the price before the console was even a year old. That was an unprecedented first. I don't see something similar happening this time though. Because $400 is more reasonable and attractive to most people than $500 - $600 was.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you wait a year to get a console that's a whole year of not having one,
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember PS3 struggling so bad that they dropped the price before the console was even a year old. That was an unprecedented first. I don't see something similar happening this time though. Because $400 is more reasonable and attractive to most people than $500 - $600 was.

I don't THINK that is correct ...... I bought mine over year after launch and it was 599
  • Broddie
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    If you wait a year to get a console that's a whole year of not having one,

Depends. I'm pretty fine with my 3DS. I have more than enough games now and coming up to hold me down for a very long time. I really don't need a home console anytime soon. PS3 owners also have Metal Gear Solid V, Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns, Gran Turismo 6, Persona 5, Castlevania: Lord of Shadows 2 and many others coming up within the next year. 360 will also have most of those games as well.

• Broddie
    edited November 2013
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

I don't THINK that is correct ...... I bought mine over year after launch and it was 599

It definitely did. At least here in the states anyway because sales were really stalled compared to their expectations. I remember that's how my cousin finally bought the 60GB joint.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/09/sony-confirms-80gb-playstation-3-and-price-drop-for-60gb-model/
    President Kaz Hirai clarified that the North American "price drop" was in fact a clearance sale intended to eliminate stock of the 60 GB unit, the production of which had actually been halted at the time of the price drop announcement. After all 60 GB units were sold, only the 80 GB unit would remain in stores in North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_PlayStation_3_SKUs
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? I didn't get my 360 till a few years after it came out..was playing ps2 for a good minute
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    Options
    new Gears of War?
    if not i may switch back to Playstation.
    its been a while
  • willhustle
    Options
    huey wrote: »
    ? I didn't get my 360 till a few years after it came out..was playing ps2 for a good minute

Exactly. and dude gone actually call new games "dusty" lol ? I thought dusty is when they been on the market almost 2-3 yrs.
  • willhustle
    Options

I doubt it happens this go around. I find it even crazier that was charging folks $500 for a 20G system at launch really, at any point of time.

I just read some article talking about the sales of PS4 & sales predictions of XB1(xb1 hadn't been released yet) and the earliest a price drop might happen is around March 2015 depending on sales. $400 is reasonable but $500 is pushing it. I think MS charged a $100 more for that kinect BS.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wait to buy a console... nah ? that... the ? can break at any time.. ? i look like being the only ? in the crew rocking old tech gaming with lames while my ? running around in high def and new features
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broke ? are the only ones who talk ? . Why not buy at launch? If it breaks it comes with a year warranty. So the waiting 6 months ? is dumb. Just buy the extended warranty for two years. If there r bugs and ur ? breaks take it back. Either way ur going to pay the same thing for it. I guarantee 75% of the ? that say they waiting because the game selection buy one as soon as they tax refund comes
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL at ? deciding factors are cars and billis and ? . LMAO. 4 to 500 hundred dollars is your breaking point?
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    I remember PS3 struggling so bad that they dropped the price before the console was even a ynoear old. That was an unprecedented first. I don't see something similar happening this time though. Because $400 is more reasonable and attractive to most people than $500 - $600 was.

It definitely did. At least here in the states anyway because sales were really stalled compared to their expectations. I remember that's how my cousin finally bought the 60GB joint.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/09/sony-confirms-80gb-playstation-3-and-price-drop-for-60gb-model/
    President Kaz Hirai clarified that the North American "price drop" was in fact a clearance sale intended to eliminate stock of the 60 GB unit, the production of which had actually been halted at the time of the price drop announcement. After all 60 GB units were sold, only the 80 GB unit would remain in stores in North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_PlayStation_3_SKUs

nah ........ I was right. I buy my stuff from the US. I bought the 80 since it was the biggest one at the time.
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    LOL at ? deciding factors are cars and billis and ? . LMAO. 4 to 500 hundred dollars is your breaking point?

actually ...... Price isn't the deciding factor. Games are. Nothing decent dropping before March
  • Broddie
    edited November 2013
    Options

actually ...... Price isn't the deciding factor. Games are. Nothing decent dropping before March

Basically. The only 2 games I want are on Xbox One (Forza 5, Dead Rising 3) but I don't even want them that badly and have other ways to play them. I can't even think of one retail PS4 game I want yet. I don't like first person shooters so that rules out COD, Battlefield, Killzone etc.

I don't play basketball games so no NBA 2K14 for me. I don't play Assassin's Creed. Truthfully when Final Fantasy XV, The Witcher 3, Kingdom Hearts 3, MGS V, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, The Order: 1884 and Beyond Good & Evil 2 start popping up I'll go "ok time to cop an xbox one and ps4". All that ? happens next year and beyond, not right now.

• BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That never happened and ps3 outsold 360
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Broddie
    Options

That never happened and ps3 outsold 360

Yes it did and who the ? is even talking about 360?
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    willhustle wrote: »

For the record, I ain't got to watch nobody pockets on this ? my nig so FOH talking that ? . If playing "dusty" ass new games on PS3/360 hold my interest until I decide on what next gen console I choose to buy then so be it. Also, PS3 wasn't doing that well out the gate at the beginning of last gen b/c of the price tag. It got so bad Sony had to take one of those consoles of the market. It took 2 yrs b/c Sony gained some ground off PS3.

That must of hit home for u. I never said you were watching pockets. That was a general statement. ? What I mean by dusty games is from here on out all new games for 360/ps3 will be ports from the new gen.. stripped down versions