Should College Students Be Allowed to Carry Legal Firearms on College Campuses?

Options
Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in The Social Lounge
That is to say, if said college was public and in a state that allowed open and/or concealed carry of legal firearms or if said college was private and the president (or whoever) of the private university allowed open or concealed carry of legal firearms on the campus.

I've read about different approaches to this issue, but I'm too lazy/tired right now to check them out, so I'll do so later. But I remember reading that some colleges actually have allowed guns on their campuses. Some colleges however have "segregated" all of their student gun owners to a designated student housing dorm or two. And that is generally received with disapproval because it stigmatizes the student gun owners, and other students avoid those kinds of dorms because they're basically "gun dorms."

Other colleges have not permitted guns on campus even if they are state colleges located in states that have lax gun laws. Instead, student gun owners, whether in-state or out-of-state, have been expelled for being caught with legal and registered guns. And some student gun owners leave their home and come to colleges located in crime-ridden cities. But they can't bring their guns and risk expulsion, so they essentially become walking licks for local criminals in a city that's unfamiliar to them. But is this justified or no?

Should College Students Be Allowed to Carry Legal Firearms on College Campuses? 18 votes

Yes
55%
janklowMaximus RexPlutarchSoloman_The_Wise[Deleted User]LUClENMzKBtwatgettaREV_RAGEBazz-B 10 votes
No
44%
NothingButTheTruthStoneColdMikeyJabu_RuleStillFaggyAFCashmoneyDuxmanofmorehouseRubato GarciaSplackavelli 8 votes

Comments

• Sicky Mouse
    Sicky Mouse Members Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i'd feel nervous on a campus filled with stressed out students with guns.
  • TB.Boy
    TB.Boy Members Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a good question. Well the conversation needs to be started and hopefully we can come to a consensus
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    You'd want to put guns in an environment where alcohol, drugs, and hormones run rampant??? It's way too many dudes out here without real male role models in their lives. People would be getting shot over pick up games in the intramural center. That's a stupid idea
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This can be a long drawn out debate....at this point i can honestly say i dont know how i feel.
    I just hope that pro and con parties of the debate realize that MORE guns in a designated area will inevitably result in MORE usage/shootings in said area. So i guess u can say the big question is could u consider more guns along with more shootings safer than that an unarmed populous of students
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    I don't even see why this is a debate
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    Yes
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gun dorms are the best answer.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Yes, men have an alienable right endowed by their Creator to protect themselves. Maybe if somebody at Virginia Tech was armed and able to stop potna, then maybe a classroom full of people wouldn't have died. Public Safety and the police can't be everywhere at once. Remember, an armed society, is a safe society.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I honestly don't know but I'm leaning toward yes only cuz I believe people have the right to protect themselves at all times. I worry about the nutjobs who may take advantage of this to shoot up a school though so I'm conflicted
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    No
    hell naw this white people are crazy. they would just shoot us for looking guilty
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    You'd want to put guns in an environment where alcohol, drugs, and hormones run rampant??? It's way too many dudes out here without real male role models in their lives. People would be getting shot over pick up games in the intramural center. That's a stupid idea

i hear what u saying, but that can describe america, as a whole, as well
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Yes
    we're presuming this applies to people carrying legally, right? then i don't see what the problem is.
  • TrillLife
    TrillLife Members Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Options
    idk but if anyone can shoot up a school, after a while its either get armed or be a sitting duck
  • REV_RAGE
    REV_RAGE Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    It's a new cold war on terror, we have been hit by domestic and foreign, beats martial law that's for sure.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hm, Wild West wasn't too bad when everyone carried
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Honestly?

I'm just tired of gun politics in general after watching how BOTH sides reacted to Newtown. I'm really disgusted with both sides of the debate.

Anti-Gun ppl really think these ? comestic assault rifle bans will make a difference even tho Adam Lanza's gun WAS LEGAL UNDER THE NATIONAL AND STATE AWB. Pro-Gun ppl are married to this idea that every man, woman, child, and housepet should be armed to the teeth with any weapon at all times because guns never cause trouble. (nevermind the NRA's disgusting BLAME THE VIDEO GAMES ? they pulled)

The 2nd Amendment was a mistake. You shouldn't have a ABSOLUTE RIGHT to advanced deadly weaponry. No other country, even the heavily armed ones like Switzerland and Israel, does this.

That said, repealing the 2nd Amendment is the fastest path to Civil War 2. So we're at an impasse.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Honestly?

I'm just tired of gun politics in general after watching how BOTH sides reacted to Newtown. I'm really disgusted with both sides of the debate.

Anti-Gun ppl really think these ? comestic assault rifle bans will make a difference even tho Adam Lanza's gun WAS LEGAL UNDER THE NATIONAL AND STATE AWB. Pro-Gun ppl are married to this idea that every man, woman, child, and housepet should be armed to the teeth with any weapon at all times because guns never cause trouble. (nevermind the NRA's disgusting BLAME THE VIDEO GAMES ? they pulled)

The 2nd Amendment was a mistake. You shouldn't have a ABSOLUTE RIGHT to advanced deadly weaponry. No other country, even the heavily armed ones like Switzerland and Israel, does this.

That said, repealing the 2nd Amendment is the fastest path to Civil War 2. So we're at an impasse.
    And On that Note I understand you better, You are one of those guys...

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Yes
    I think if anyone is allowed to carry a firearm then everyone should be allowed to carry one. It does not make sense to have one segment of the population armed and another completely defenseless.

Systematically preventing people from carrying arms seems like a way of allowing those privileged enough to be allowed to carry the right to shoot in self defense from people that don't even have guns
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Yes
    Anti-Gun ppl really think these ? comestic assault rifle bans will make a difference even tho Adam Lanza's gun WAS LEGAL UNDER THE NATIONAL AND STATE AWB. Pro-Gun ppl are married to this idea that every man, woman, child, and housepet should be armed to the teeth with any weapon at all times because guns never cause trouble.
    let's be honest: some of us are really promoting the "why don't you just stop ? with us and fix the ? ALREADY IN PLACE" card. turns out we get no love.

(also, i can't wait to see what anti-gun groups try to run on the anniversary of Newtown despite shouting down the SAF)
    (nevermind the NRA's disgusting BLAME THE VIDEO GAMES ? they pulled)
    yeah, very annoying. actually, i'd LIKE to think it was some high-level "see how dumb it is to blame inanimate objects and not people" thing... but no
    well, Israel is actually NOT a heavily-armed country. and Switzerland kind of sort of does this (although it's more nuanced than commonly claimed. but the real dispute is that it's not really "advanced deadly weaponry" or whatever extreme description. i mean, we're at a point where people will call a magazine that holds more than 7 rounds "high-capacity."
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Since there is absolutely NO TRUST in the Police, it's better that the kids have guns and be properly trained and hopefully spend more time at the gun ranges...the Police have failed the entire society. they are worthless. time to take that power back and put back into the hands of the people.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    twatgetta wrote: »
    Since there is absolutely NO TRUST in the Police, it's better that the kids have guns and be properly trained and hopefully spend more time at the gun ranges...the Police have failed the entire society. they are worthless. time to take that power back and put back into the hands of the people.

You know damn well some college kids are not looking out for one another for selfless needs. There will be people that use guns to rob, ? , and rap people without a cause.