Y are'nt there more HBCU Quarter Backs drafted into NFL?

Options
indyman87
indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
Maybe I'm over-reacting but I would think the QBs that play for colleges like Howard, Morehouse, Grambling etc... would be more poised and make better decisions than some of the current QB's in the NFL (white QBs) included. There must be a shortage of good QBs because a team asked Brett Favre if he wanted to come back and then former QB Garcia tried to get his name in the hat. Is it me or are the powers that be in the NFL are overlooking QBs from Historical Black Colleges and Universities?

No disrespect to the current Black QBs in the NFL but I'm thinking that maybe they chose these QBs knowing that they have some type of personal defect and/or personality or learning disability- hype them up knowing full well that they're going to fail- and then everybody would say- "see I told you so. We gave Black QBs a chance to succeed but they're just not good enough. And that's why the white QBs will always be the greatest because they're natural born leaders" (which is BS).

Comments

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well the last good QB from a HBCU was Steve McNair. He was well known when he was coming out of college, I think he was even a finalist for the Heisman award. But sadly, you just don't hear about HBCU qb's anymore. I don't know why either. So you pose a good question.

But honestly if they aren't getting national coverage on major sports networks, the majority of folks will not know how good these players are. I know college scouts will have more info on these player, but I guess the talent isn't being recognized by them.
  • indyman87
    Options
    hmmm. maybe I should give a call to obeezy or Al so they can do something about it. I got them on speed dial.
  • whar
    whar Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Grambling has the best football tradition of the HBCU and they are 1-9 this year and have a real chance of closing their football program due to lack of funds.

There simply is not any racism left in the recruiting of student athletes. If you are a talented black QB you go to one of the big schools. In fact right now 6 of the top ten schools has a black QB

Jameis Winston FSU
    Tajh Boyd Clemson
    Braxton Miller Ohio State
    Teddy Bridgewater Louisville
    Brett Hundley UCLA
    Stephen Morris Miami
  • indyman87
    Options
    Well I can't say that there's racism for sure because I'm just a casual fan and not really into football on the High School level at all but this is America -there's racism every where. But I just think that the intangibles like confidence is more important because if you're got a good arm, can read a playbook and stay in the pocket you win half the battle as a QB in Football. thinking out loud I would have to say that a QB or student that comes out of a HBCU is much more confident that a African American student or QB that comes out a non HBCU. U can't be scared of getting hit and throw a weak pass when a blitz is coming. I personally would be scared LOL, but I'm not an athlete.
  • whar
    whar Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Racism certainly exists in the US, however when it comes to coaches and recruiting players if someone is still racist they are out of a job. You simply can not win in the competitive world of college sports if you have a problem recruiting a particular ethnicity. Now the Alumni from a place like Ole Miss or Alabama might be racist ? but their going to keep their mouth shut to attract the best talent in the country.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    it's going to end up a combination of "smaller schools just get less attention" and "the QBs in question are generally less talented than those of the larger schools"
  • Bazz-B
    Bazz-B Members Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    it's going to end up a combination of "smaller schools just get less attention" and "the QBs in question are generally less talented than those of the larger schools"

Pretty much this you can't scout them all so, they have to try and stand out.

• rantanamo
    rantanamo Members Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Options
    What makes you think these HBCU QBs are better than those at DI schools? I watch these games everyweek and to be honest, I'd rather have Case McCoy on my NFL team and he's the least talented quarterback Texas has had in the last 20 years.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a legitimately good question. I think it all boils down to recruiting, HBCUs can't recruit on the same level as D1 universities, they can't guarantee the same level of exposure, or professonal connections so they lose out.

It's probably the same for the nba too. Just too difficult to recruit talent.
  • Dattadude72
    Dattadude72 Members Posts: 52
    Options
    That being said if you are good your good.... I know too many stories abou guys from smaller schools making it big vs guys from bigger schools washing out.