NFL Quarterbacks having records, why?

Built 4 cuban linx
Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
Probably been happening before but I started noticing this when that Tebowmania ? was happening. I understand that being a quarterback is the most important position on the football field but why the hell do they have records. Tebow is 7-1 in his last 8 starts or Peyton Manning is 9-11 in the playoffs(I'm not sure if I'm correct on that record). QB's aren't the only ? in the field so why do they get all the credit(Tebow) and all the blame(manning in the playoffs). I'm not the most knowledgeable about football so can someone explain the reasoning behind this

Comments

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    its not really giving them all the credit.
  • MF_Doomerville
    MF_Doomerville Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The QB is the mastermind of the offense so it makes sense they have individual efforts. You can have one ? player on defense and it won't matter. You have a ? QB and you ain't going no where. Look at Tom Brady and all those rookies. He's a proven QB and is still able to lead nobodies to victory. Had he been a ? QB, New England would be garbage.
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    uhh because they're the leaders on offense.
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's be frank: it's the direct result of the rules being biased and leaning for the offensive player. The defensive player can't really do anything nowso it forces them to play less phyiscal and less bump and run cause of bogus PI calls and stuff.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    RaySwift wrote: »
    uhh because they're the leaders on offense.

And uhhh the offensive players are the only ones that play?
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Tebow no longer in the NFL...
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    GodGivBiz wrote: »
    Tebow no longer in the NFL...

I know
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    I understand a qb has a big impact on the game but no matter how good you are you aren't going no where without a team. I'm just saying everytime I see this record ? on ESPN it seems stupid. It's a team game. And Brady had a team when they were winning those superbowls there may not have been any household names on that team but that was a damn good team. When it comes to baseball pitchers are really judged on their records much, probably for that reason, it's more on their ERA
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Good qb and a good defense can take you a long way
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they're the leaders of the team. they're considered to be primarily responsible for wins and losses
    it's no different than top basketball players record in the NBA finals, game 7's, etc.
  • alejandro
    alejandro Members Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    Did someone say Tim Tebow?
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Parallel wrote: »
    I understand a qb has a big impact on the game but no matter how good you are you aren't going no where without a team. I'm just saying everytime I see this record ? on ESPN it seems stupid. It's a team game. And Brady had a team when they were winning those superbowls there may not have been any household names on that team but that was a damn good team. When it comes to baseball pitchers are really judged on their records much, probably for that reason, it's more on their ERA

So you also have an issue with pitchers being given wins/losses too then?

Honestly I don't pay much attention to the record. Felix Hernandez won the cy young with a 13-12 record. It's all about the ERA for me. I really started having a problem when Tebow was getting a 7-1 record when many times it was his defense that came through.
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    The thing that comes to mind with quarterbacks having records is Rex Grossman on the Bears the year they went to the Super Bowl, and he was by far one of the worst quarterbacks ever, however he was 13-3 (I believe??) during that season.

Football is a team sport, dissecting like that makes no sense when a great defense can bail a terrible quarterback out several of times.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Endless debate.

But anyone who compares QBs SOLELY on wins and losses is an idiot.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think modern QBs records and stats should carry as much weight as they used to simply because you can breath on a QB wrong these days and its a penalty. So of course TOm Brady can throw 50 TDs in a season because if the play ends and one of his hairs are out of places under his helmet its a 15 yard penalty and a first down.

Also yards after the catch shouldnt count for them either. A QB throws the ball 10 yards and the Wide Receivers runs down the field for 80 yards the QB stat says 90 yards for the QB. ? your ass didnt dodge those Line Backers and outrun those safeties. All you did was throw the damn ball where it was supposed to be thrown. YAC shouldnt count for them.

As for wins and losses its just media being media. Redundant and stupid. Pulling things out of their ass that mean nothing if you actually think about it. For example Phillip Rivers beating two Manning brothers in the same seasons means NOTHING but you'd have thought that was the key to the Super BOwl after the Bronco/Charger game.

Or this QB is 9 and 1 when the team wears their blue jerseys...WTF?!
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, but I do know that Romo's record in December is trash and he barely has a post season record.