True or False: Coaches/Clubs that listen to their fans are bound to fail

Options
soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
On one hand, these people almost always have some combination of league experience and degrees which certify them to do their jobs as coaches, managers, etc.

On the other hand, not all fans are know-nothing bandwagoners. A lot of them don't let their judgement get clouded by the industry BS that causes terrible trades and creates even worse contracts.

Then again, hindsight is 20/20.

Comments

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know if I'm an owner and I have a GM and/or coach that just wants to do what the fans want -- I'll fire him and Jerry Jones that ? by myself. I can hire a teenager to just do whatever he sees on the innanet or hears on sports talk radio.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well if you're up by 23 points and don't run the ball and lose.....? it fire Jason Garrett
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Certain owners tend to make pretty dumb decisions too. Can't blame a wack coach for failing if owners are willing to pay him (Mike D'Antoni).
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know if I'm an owner and I have a GM and/or coach that just wants to do what the fans want -- I'll fire him and Jerry Jones that ? by myself. I can hire a teenager to just do whatever he sees on the innanet or hears on sports talk radio.

yeah but some ? is just simple common sense
  • greenwood1921
    Options

yeah but some ? is just simple common sense

Some ? - yeah. But if every time he comes in my office he says "but the fans say..." I'ma tell him to go find a fan to do his job for a fourth of his salary.

And "fans" are wrong more than coaches and GM's.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes. Fans are too kneejerk.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yep, john fox used to say (i'm sure others said it too) that when you listen to the fans you end up sitting with the fans. and i think thats true. coaches do some dumb things but the suggestions that come from fans in person or radio or tv are just insane. "we are 0-3!!! bench the quarterback, fired the head coach, trade our 3 best players for draft picks and just blow this whole thing up"
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    The fans never get to be wrong. Even if they agreed with something and then flip-flopped, it's okay -- cause nobody will give a ? .

Fans usually just want the opposite of what didn't work. Grass is greener mentality. GM's and Coaches have real life ? at stake behind their decisions. They're toiling over film and possibilities 60+ hours a week while most fans are somewhere playing Call of Duty.

They ? up all the time, but people keep track of THEIR record. Nobody keeps track of fan's records.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    The fans never get to be wrong. Even if they agreed with something and then flip-flopped, it's okay -- cause nobody will give a ? .

Fans usually just want the opposite of what didn't work. Grass is greener mentality. GM's and Coaches have real life ? at stake behind their decisions. They're toiling over film and possibilities 60+ hours a week while most fans are somewhere playing Call of Duty.

They ? up all the time, but people keep track of THEIR record. Nobody keeps track of fan's records.

i don't know about that entirely. It's pretty easy to gauge fan opinion as well as keep track of it. Take this forum for example. The posters with horrible opinions on sports, music, politics, and religion are easily identifiable. Plus, some ideas are downright idiotic while other ideas are conceivable. I'm not saying listen to EVERY fan, but the fans that make logical compelling suggestions could at least be taken into consideration.

Putting Kobe, Dwight, and Nash on the same team SOUNDED like a great idea on paper, didn't it? It sounded like some fan-imagined idea. Look how that turned out. Now, firing a coach who barely had time to establish a system for those players? That was all management.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When a fans are wrong and the coaches are right, nothing happens. When the coaches are wrong, the fans throw a tizzy fit even if it was they wanted.
  • greenwood1921
    Options

i don't know about that entirely. It's pretty easy to gauge fan opinion as well as keep track of it. Take this forum for example. The posters with horrible opinions on sports, music, politics, and religion are easily identifiable. Plus, some ideas are downright idiotic while other ideas are conceivable. I'm not saying listen to EVERY fan, but the fans that make logical compelling suggestions could at least be taken into consideration.

Putting Kobe, Dwight, and Nash on the same team SOUNDED like a great idea on paper, didn't it? It sounded like some fan-imagined idea. Look how that turned out. Now, firing a coach who barely had time to establish a system for those players? That was all management.

How many websites, polls, twitter posts, etc would a GM have to check to get an *accurate gauge on what fans think about individual topics?

Hundreds.

How many websites do fans have to check to find out how a coach or GM is doing?

Any website that shows Win/Loss records.

Simple as that. GM's and coaches can't hide behind the internets and talk radio when they lose.
  • soul rattler
    Options

How many websites, polls, twitter posts, etc would a GM have to check to get an *accurate gauge on what fans think about individual topics?

Hundreds.

How many websites do fans have to check to find out how a coach or GM is doing?

Any website that shows Win/Loss records.

Simple as that. GM's and coaches can't hide behind the internets and talk radio when they lose.

Just official website forums, ESPN and sports radio polls, etc. They don't ever have to ADMIT that they're considering fans' opinions, but maybe it would just make for a more cohesive fanbase. Fans really don't talk ? about their unless the coach/players/management does something they don't like. Like if the game is seconds from being over and the coach draws up a play for the superstar/best player to take the last shot, not too many fans can really be upset if he misses because regardless of the outcome, it was the right decision.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doesn't it seem like thats how New York (insert team) has been running there franchises?
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Matt- wrote: »
    yep, john fox used to say (i'm sure others said it too) that when you listen to the fans you end up sitting with the fans. and i think thats true. coaches do some dumb things but the suggestions that come from fans in person or radio or tv are just insane. "we are 0-3!!! bench the quarterback, fired the head coach, trade our 3 best players for draft picks and just blow this whole thing up"

local sports radio talk is a blessing and a curse. Hearing some of those callers is just a big "smh" moment.
  • Heavy In The Game
    Heavy In The Game Members Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doesn't it seem like thats how New York (insert team) has been running there franchises?

sounds like the Knicks, they always want every star player and don't care if they don't fit smh
    My Nets operate a lil differently, we just have an owner with a lot of money who's willing to spend to put the best team out there. *shrugs*
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

sounds like the Knicks, they always want every star player and don't care if they don't fit smh
    My Nets operate a lil differently, we just have an owner with a lot of money who's willing to spend to put the best team out there. *shrugs*

Yankees too, guess you can't say the Jets but they probably should listen to there fans more
  • greenwood1921
    Options

This.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For the most part that's why they ain't been ?
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Didnt read anyones post.
    Just wanted to drop this:

"If you start listening to fans, you may join them one day soon..."
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Yes. Fans are too kneejerk.

As seen by the current situation in Washington with fans calling into the radio saying Kirk Cousins should permanently replace RG3 lol...the hosts are like "He JUST took them to the division title last year and ya'll ready to dump him already"...? 's hilarious