Do Wrestlers Kick Out of Finishers Too Often?

2»

Comments

• T.Vick04
    T.Vick04 Members Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    "it can work when u save it for certain situations"

This.

I grew up during the days where guys never kicked out of finishes and this practically always led to guys winning with moves over than their finisher.

Surprise finishes like roll ups and small packages are lost in the game today.

Yes
    I remember when a small package was somethin that couldn't be kicked out of

Now it's a phony 1 count move
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its ? they put a cheat code for Stone Cold and Cena.... they always kicking out of ? ... they made HHH pedigree super powerful tho lol
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mally_G wrote: »
    TheBoyRo wrote: »
    y'all remember when sometimes, wrestlers would use their opponents finisher?? ? use to be ill, just the ether of being defeated but you down finishing move

Word to WCW/NWO World Tour, WWF WrestleaMania 2000 and WWF No Mercy

certain wrestlers finishers should not be kicked out of, because it kills their mystic......

now, i noticed that finishers in the 80s became common moves in the 90s to soften up the opponent. even back in the 50s and 60s, a common knee drop was a finisher, now it's a move EVERYONE does just the same as a punch.

i saw a match on a VHS tape with Gorilla Monsoon vs. The Mongolians, and one of the Mongolians got the pin on Gorilla with a double knee to the back from the middle rope (top rope moves were illegal back then). Now all of those moves became common through the years with little to no affect but to land a blow/gain an advantage.

Remember the POWERBOMB? ? was the most devastating move in wrestling with Sid and Vader were using it in the late 80s and into the 90s. Vader even broke a dudes back (legit) with it, and then the 90s came along and the cruiserweights in WCW were doing powerbombs at least 4 times a match as set up moves. ? , even Tommy Dreamer was chokeslamming people in ECW, until Brian Lee got in his ass. Before Brian Lee, 9-1-1 was crushing people with the chokeslam. But the chokeslam was never really a finisher, more like a signature move, but I've seen big guys mercifully pin their opponent for the win after landing it.

I think a lot of finishers are being phased out and the next crop of finishers are going to be introduced, even if they look weak. Remember, this is an era where everything is "safe" in the ring. So dropping someone on their head with a tombstone is saved for Kane and Undertaker, and if someone kicks out, it'll be on the main stage at 'Mania.
    great post... I used to get mad seeing the figure four and sharpshooter used as regular in match moves.... its like they cheapened the moves ad when cruisers popped off they were so innovative that great moves became the norm in matches. also no one win on sunset flip roll ups etc no more
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The figure four is great example of a move that was used as a finisher and only a certain few used the move as a finisher. Then the move became a basic move in the moveset of many wrestlers, and often cheapened because the man using it didn't apply it correctly or it looked mad sloppy. The Sharpshooter was only used by 3 men (in the United States) for a period of 15-20 years, Bret, Owen, and Sting. Then when DX used to rag on Rock having a limited moveset, he started using the Sharpshooter to surprise everyone that he had a technical background. But I think he started using it to spite HBK.

The Boston Crab and Camel Clutch used to be submission moves that people feared back in the day because only a few dudes did it; now everyone has their version of the moves, cheapening their effect, because we've seen it used too much during matches, it's too common of a move.

No one is going to win on surprise pins like a sunset flip or small package anymore because the matches are so overly scripted, the drama of the victory is going to come from outside of the ring in the form of interference or the Dusty Finish.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when TNA was using the dusty finish every ? week.
    Sometimes they did It multiple times in one show

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Remember Rock saying he started doing the Sharpshooter in honor of Owen cause Owen was one of the folks backstage that helped him out
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only like it when there's two wrestlers that can put on a classic match at a big event (like wrestlemania or summer slam). Matches like Shawn Michaels vs Jericho/Angle but other than that. I don't like it
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hated when WWE watered down Jericho's Walls of Jericho submission.