Chris Brown- X Files

Kellmill
Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
Chris Brown escaped utter societal exile by the skin of his teeth back in 2009 when he lost his mind and decided to take a bite out of Rihanna’s flesh. We are able to exonerate Breezy of cannibalism and childish temper-tantrums not because we are forgiving people but because of our vigorous appetite for quality music, especially music that aids in our thirsty pursuits in the bedroom. When Brown released the Fan of a Fan mixtape in 2010, highlighted by the smash-single “Deuces,” even domestic abuse activists were in the club happily chunking up two fingers.

But seriously, all food jokes aside, the major beef with Brown is that the majority of his catalog lacks the timeless quality of his predecessors. There is no Let’s Get It On, Purple Rain, or even 12 Play—just a bunch of ephemeral radio singles. I won’t lie, songs like “? ” and “She Ain’t You” are hot, but the majority of Brown’s music doesn’t age well like fine china; instead it flames out quickly after a few listens. On “Sweet Caroline,” one of the better tracks off X-Files, Breezy and Busta attempt to recapture the success they had with “Look At Me Now.” The song is dope, but it’s clear upon first listen that it lacks staying power. Same story with the following track, “Love 2 Remember.” Cool melody. Catchy hook. Nonetheless, most likely I will never intentionally listen to this song more than 3 times in my life. “Main Chick” featuring Kid Ink is definitely the most memorable of the six track tape, but Breezy is hardly a factor as Ink and DJ Mustard’s drum-heavy production provide the bulk of the workload, similar to “Til’ I Die.”

Mixtapes in their very nature are meant to be transitory, microwavable collections cooked to tide over an artist’s fanbase until the main-course is ready to be served. But in recent years, incredible releases from artists like J. Cole, Chance The Rapper, and Big KRIT among many others have entirely reversed this theory. The Trey-or-Breezy top-hat strategy rappers have used in the past to pick which R&B singer they wanted on their hooks is decreasing as new arrivals like Miguel and The Weeknd storm the scene, so hopefully Breezy will right his musical wrongs with his official studio album X, slated to be released sometime early next year. Even with rumored guest spots from Kendrick Lamar and Kelly Rowland, I have serious doubts Brown will release anything half as good as 12 Play, or something I’d be content to spawn my offspring to.

Comments

• MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why the ? would you compare it to R Kelly''s first album? Smh that's just stupid
  • Kellmill
    It clearly says his "catalog" homie
  • Kellmill
    @Crookedletter I thought you were the homie ? flipped on me tryna to assassinate me and ? lol
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dont sleep on chris singles he has (and been featured) on plenty of baby making songs... actually imo he is underrated in that department..

twistas "movies"

"take you down"

"take my time"

"sweet love"

sevyn streeter "it dont stop"

"wet the bed"

"no bullshyt"

"sing like me"

and thats jus off the top of my head..
  • Wonder Girl
    Wonder Girl Members Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭
    I downloaded this a week ago, only gave it a quick listen.

I dont think his music is maturing well. Its on its way, but its not there. That article I think is trying to say he has the potential for a Price, MJ or R. Kelly catalog, but hasn't down it yet. He said popular and all, but he's lacking that one CD that really makes you remember him.
  • Kellmill

I dont think his music is maturing well. Its on its way, but its not there. That article I think is trying to say he has the potential for a Price, MJ or R. Kelly catalog, but hasn't down it yet. He said popular and all, but he's lacking that one CD that really makes you remember him.

Co-sign 100 %
  • damobb2deep
    Kellmill wrote: »

Co-sign 100 %

I think mj made thriller @25.. Chris Brown only 24.... will he get a thriller? don't think so... but he will drop something that's in his lane and classic imo... but in order 4 him 2 do that he would have 2 be outta the spotlight for @ least 2 years.. ( ever notice a list artist have a few year break between "classic" albums)
  • Wonder Girl
    Wonder Girl Members Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭

Co-sign 100 %

I think mj made thriller @25.. Chris Brown only 24.... will he get a thriller? don't think so... but he will drop something that's in his lane and classic imo... but in order 4 him 2 do that he would have 2 be outta the spotlight for @ least 2 years.. ( ever notice a list artist have a few year break between "classic" albums)

This is true, but even when he has taken time to make albums its nothing spectacular.

For me his best album is his second one. I think he has a better sound when he's more R&B and when he's really singing more.

He needs to really find his personal sound and what fits him. Alot of artist have that problem and it keeps them from reaching full potential.

• damobb2deep

Co-sign 100 %

This is true, but even when he has taken time to make albums its nothing spectacular.

For me his best album is his second one. I think he has a better sound when he's more R&B and when he's really singing more.

He needs to really find his personal sound and what fits him. Alot of artist have that problem and it keeps them from reaching full potential.
    c/s his second album was his best.. i think because he finally shed that wholesome boy next door image most people had of him.. also the thing with Rhianna derailed his progression by a few years imo...