We have labeled and put ourselves in a suffocating box!!

indyman87
indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry in advanced for this rant because it will probably be fragmented and some it it won't make sense.

but i just finished watching VH1 countdown and not surprisingly their was only one Black artist on the countdown (Beyonce). Rihanna was on with Eminem. But what was surprising was that i kinda liked some of the songs on the countdown. Especially the one with Pittbull and kesha called Timber. This song has country influences which was kinda cool and very different for a Rap artist. IMO. This is certainly out of the norm for hip hop artist (although I know that Lil Wayne and others had experimented with Rock). But if a mainstream Hip Hop artist would come out with a country influence or maybe even a rock influence song it would be slammed by most Hip hop and R&B heads and certainly not be played on R&B radio because country and other forms of music like rock, hard rock are not considered 'Black' music which is ironic because the song by Eminem and Rihanna is number one on the R&B charts but IMO this is not an R&B/Hip Hop song-it's a Pop Song.

We have labeled and put ourselves in a suffocating tiny box where Artists are limited to create music that 'sounds black' which in this case means without any thing that may have country, rock, pop and today even jazz and 'neo-soul' influences. Mo wonder most R&B/Hip Hop music are lame and monotone today because it's very limited and suffocating. I think we need to stop blaming the people that make music for being lame and start looking at our selves the black community and ask ourselves why are we allowing white and all of the other races to take our music the music that literally our grand parents and great grand parents made and let then take it and claim them for themselves. We created Rock and Roll, we created Country, we created Jazz. LOL. like Beyonce said this is our sh*t!! Time for White People to bow down!! Because pretty soon we will have nothing absolutly nothing in regards to music of our own.

Comments

• Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Artist can make the music they want. Janelle Monae, B.o.B., Outkast, and others use a larger group to get inspiration from. In America I don't see any black or white music. Eminem is one of the largest rappers and Darius Rucker is one of the larger country stars. With that said 3000 said we will just invent some new ? .