Spinoff: For The 10 Thousandth Time...The "African American" vs "Black American" Thread...

1234568»

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    janklow wrote: »
    Mexicans are Hispanic whites, or possibly Hispanic Native Americans
    fixed that for you

but u get my point

Hispanic is vague. Technically Sammy Sosa is Hispanic.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Elrawd wrote: »
    Hispanic is vague. Technically Sammy Sosa is Hispanic.
    well, it's just not a race in and of itself, as per SL regulations

• Dattadude72
    Dattadude72 Members Posts: 52
    Don't matter to me but I know my history.... My distant ancestors may have been from Africa my most immediate chose to remain here... So I am what I am
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even understand why this topic was significant enough to go 8 pages

this is such a non-issue
  • Mr MajestiK
    Mr MajestiK Members Posts: 6
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    That's another thing...Just being black in America doesn't make you African...You could have generations of ancestors from St. Lucia or where ever...That's why I think that term is really just some pity/pc ? to appease rowdy revolutinary ? ...

So where do you think the ancestors of the blacks in St Lucia and the rest of the West Indies came from in the first place?
  • Mr MajestiK
    Mr MajestiK Members Posts: 6
    kai_valya wrote: »
    kai_valya wrote: »
    Africans don't like or identify with American blacks from my experience, and I don't really rock with them either. Therefore I'm black, not AA.

this is not true. a lot of these are just misconceptions, blame that on how the media portrays each group to the other.

I came to this conclusion from my own personal experiences dealing with Africans. I Also don't like the way many of them treat their women but that's another subject.

so you didn't have any negative preconceived notions yourself? and how exactly do they treat their women?

I didn't. I actually had a positive view of Africans and African culture as a kid. It wasn't until I went overseas and heard all the ? that they would say about American blacks that I changed my tune. I've been to South Africa and Djibouti and heard the same stuff in both places. Black Americans are lazy, spoiled and stupid etc. Heard the same thing from some Ethiopian chicks in Dubai. your experiences in any of the places you visited but

So I was like oh word? Yeah there are some lazy ? in America but that's not all of us or even most of us for that matter.

As far as the way they treat women, they treat them like they're beneath the man and they have that 'do as they say' type attitude . I don't like that ? .

Talk about generalizing much?

Not trying to diminish any of the experiences and observations you made during your travels but a lot of the stuff you're criticizing Africans for doing go on in the West as well especially in relation to the stereotype of African men "expecting women to fall back and stay submissive" issue is concerned.

That's per the course for any patriarchal environment as evidenced in places like Greece, Italy and Spain but I don't seen any Italian, Greek or Spanish American's dissasociating themselves from the birth place of their ancestors the same way some blacks in America and the Carribean seem inclined to do.

It's this dissasociative mindset (on both sides) that has all of Africa from the Motherland to the diaspora collectively losing whilst the Western/Eastern hegemonies stay sucking the lifesblood out of the African continent like ? vampires.

Real talk.
  • Dattadude72
    Dattadude72 Members Posts: 52
    Well Blacks in America have probably been in this country a lot longer than most of those other groups just a thought
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Du_Du wrote: »
    unless you actively practice customs and your family participates in traditions passed down through generations from a specific country and region in africa....

you're not an african american...

you would rather your race be written as black rather than African, far as america is concerned

Whites are Caucasian

Asians are Oriental

Mexicans are Hispanic

but Blacks are just blacks...that ? is dismissive
    Mexican is a nationality
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? , Indian, Hispanic, Mexican, Haitian, Jamaican, Dominican, African-American and and Puerto Rican are all names given to you by the Conquistadors and European slave traders. . yet, you clowns fight over the names they gave you. where's the chicken and watermelon segway when you need one.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even understand why this topic was significant enough to go 8 pages

this is such a non-issue

Debating over 2 labels that only signify you have no clue about ya heritage before the slave ships

Silly debate indeed
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No...My whole point was "African American" is a term that oversimplifies your heritage before the slave ships...IF your ancestors were een on slave ships...It's become a blanket term for all Black people here...I think it should only be for people(Black or White or whatever) that are from Africa and moved here...
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    twatgetta wrote: »
    ? , Indian, Hispanic, Mexican, Haitian, Jamaican, Dominican, African-American and and Puerto Rican are all names given to you by the Conquistadors and European slave traders. . yet, you clowns fight over the names they gave you. where's the chicken and watermelon segway when you need one.

not neccearily.

The Spanish and French decimate the native population and repopulated it with African descended people. Haitians call Haiti "Ayiti" in Kreyol which is from the Taino word "Ayiti" for the island

Dominicans used Quisqueya sometimes, while many if not most Mexicans have significant or majority indigenous blood.

No...My whole point was "African American" is a term that oversimplifies your heritage before the slave ships...IF your ancestors were een on slave ships...It's become a blanket term for all Black people here...I think it should only be for people(Black or White or whatever) that are from Africa and moved here...

How u feel about the term "New Afrikan"
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel more comfortable with Black American (or Afro-American) than African-American, although I don't have an issue being identified as the latter.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and how do you feel about the concept of The Republic of New Afrika?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_New_Afrika

@a1000miles
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

but why tho? how does that affect you unless you trying to feel unique in some kind of way to separate yourself from other black people?

I understand both sides cause I don't like when "black" folks dismiss my heritage....but as I grow older I realize it's a mute point as long as we unify to achieve the same goals

and you def ain't bout to convince me that a white from south africa has more in common with you than an AA from Detroit........
  • Black Boy King
    Ppl from Africa that moved here dont want to be callex african american bcuz they know their nationality. No one reps a whole continent

African american is synonymous with Black. Both tell you absolutely nothing about the individual besides the fact that they are completely clueless about who they are and where they came from before this melting ? we call america
  • Black Boy King

but why tho? how does that affect you unless you trying to feel unique in some kind of way to separate yourself from other black people?

I understand both sides cause I don't like when "black" folks dismiss my heritage....but as I grow older I realize it's a mute point as long as we unify to achieve the same goals

and you def ain't bout to convince me that a white from south africa has more in common with you than an AA from Detroit........

Case n point... @ the bolded.. callin someone black or african American cuts off their heritage bcuz neither phrase means anything
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and how do you feel about the concept of The Republic of New Afrika?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_New_Afrika

@a1000miles

I think it'll never happen...

I'm not sayin it affects me...It doesn't...When I made the thread I was just wondering how other people felt...The "Black American" part was a mistake, I should've put just "American"...

Judah Back wrote: »
    Ppl from Africa that moved here dont want to be callex african american bcuz they know their nationality. No one reps a whole continent

African american is synonymous with Black. Both tell you absolutely nothing about the individual besides the fact that they are completely clueless about who they are and where they came from before this melting ? we call america

That's my point...African American is not a nationality...It's a label for immigrants...Ery Black person didn't immigrate here from Africa...Hence, AA shouldn't be a blanket term to describe all Black people...And I also stated Ion really like the term "Black"...I'm not "black", the same way a white person isn't "white"...It's just ? we began to go with without really thinking about it...
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll create a new name for you nignogs later.