10 Hard Truths Black People Try to Avoid

Options

Comments

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Do y'all believe race is only something we deal with on this earth? Like in the after life (if you believe in that) is there race?
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    sigh...
    y'all really gonna ignore these great points and talk about hip hop?
    ok blacks...
    I did a scholarly search to find research linking hip hop to anything detrimental to blacks... I could not.
    If y'all can, go ahead...

You know ? damn well this ? is seriously understudied.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sigh...
    ok blacks...
    I did a scholarly search to find research linking hip hop to anything detrimental to blacks... I could not.

it's not. It's not hip hop, it's the people in control of pushing an image, lifestyle, and message to the youth.

You want to change the message, you have to change the industry. You see how shook white America was when we had positive messages and imagery in hip hop being pushed in the late 80's/early 90's. Out went Cosby/A different world type shows that had black folks as professionals with college bound children, out went KRS, PRT, X-Clan, Paris and the like, in came the ? .
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    sigh...
    ok blacks...

But here is one:
    Compared with adolescents who had less exposure to rap music videos, adolescents who had greater exposure to rap music videos were 3 times more likely to have hit a teacher; more than 2.5 times as likely to have been arrested; 2 times as likely to have had multiple sexual partners; and more than 1.5 times as likely to have acquired a new sexually transmitted disease, used drugs, and used alcohol over the 12-month follow-up period

From "A Prospective Study of Exposure to Rap Music Videos and African American Female Adolescents’ Health," In American Journal of Public Health. 2003 March; 93(3): 437–439.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1447759/

• Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sigh...
    ok blacks...

? fried chicken is detrimental to blacks but you won't find a scholarly study on that. Ole if there's no study than it ain't true ass ? .

http://www.menshealth.com/health/the-fast-food-that-may-cause-cancer

Researchers analyzed survey data from more than 3,000 men ages 35 to 74, and discovered that guys who reported eating French fries, fried chicken, fried fish, and/or fried doughnuts once or more a week had a 30- to 37-percent higher risk of prostate cancer. The risk remained the same even after the researchers considered factors like age, race, family history, body-mass index, and prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good ? ...

Disagree with his views on blk feminism but really that's my only complaint
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    11. Hip hop has done more to hurt, than help, black people.

get this trivial ? the ? out of here...

Black youths look up to rappers. Rappers ain't ? , cept for liars and modern day slaves. There is always a white man making money off of their backs. How is this trivial? Most rap is about guns, drugs, ? , and materialistic ? no one really needs. This is who they look up too? Explain your side to me.

who's fault is that tho?

and in general there are white men making money off ? in other industries, so why single hip-hop out for that?

True. But how many times have you seen a black man in a commercial being a doctor or a lawyer, or business owner. How many prime time tv shows having leading black actors and actresses? When all tv will put on is the trap star with the cash and the ? how can they not look up to that. All hip hop isn't bad. Just the new ? . You can go around your neighborhood and ask any young black male who they would rather be when they grow up, Jeezy, Rick Ross, TI, them migos ? , or Idris Elba, childish gambino, Barack Obama. I think we all know where they would lean.

you are a troll thats what i have been known... but bruh u need a new shtick...
  • UnderMiSensi
    UnderMiSensi Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    GOAT. Interested in those other "hard truths"

6,7,8, and 9 are heavy. Truth.

What I would've added to the list

"Black parents aren't involved in their kids education as much as they should be"

"Individualism is too cherished a value"

"The false sentiment that our history begins and ends with slavery breeds an inferiority complex"

"lack of knowledge of self and where you came from develops lots of lost and misguided individuals"

"politicians/goverment will never ever sincerely address problems in the black community and they won't ever fix them either, blacks are a political ? that's about to run outta of use once Latinos get more political power"

"money management, group economics, investing and financial advice should be just as important to black people as Jesus is"

I could add more but, I'll just stop.

• blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good ? ...

Disagree with his views on blk feminism but really that's my only complaint

of course you disagree

why am I not surprised :)

but anyways entertainment icons shouldn't have more of an influence on our kids tho

that's more of a failure of parents instead of the perceived negative effects of hip-hop

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To end on a positive note, despite the many perils of white supremacy, Black people would be significantly better off if we were organized around a central objective, the survival of our race. Europeans and Arabs are two of the most recent successful examples of people who organized along racial lines above national identity. The French and British have historically been at odds culturally and politically, however they quickly unite to fight against other non-white people.

This is vague. Surviving is what black people have done best for a millennia now. We ain't gonna be extinct anytime soon.

• BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whack list
    please stop it
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    11. Hip hop has done more to hurt, than help, black people.

get this trivial ? the ? out of here...

And thats why the problem persists.

Do the youth understand points 1-10? No. Do the youth know who Chief Keef is? Yes. That 'trivial' hip hop hits them at the formative years. On the flip, you cant re-wire adults.

And if u gonna do any large scale re-wiring and culture shift, u got damn right u better start with the youth. You're not re-wiring adults, black or white. Ever.

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sigh...
    ok blacks...

But here is one:
    Compared with adolescents who had less exposure to rap music videos, adolescents who had greater exposure to rap music videos were 3 times more likely to have hit a teacher; more than 2.5 times as likely to have been arrested; 2 times as likely to have had multiple sexual partners; and more than 1.5 times as likely to have acquired a new sexually transmitted disease, used drugs, and used alcohol over the 12-month follow-up period

From "A Prospective Study of Exposure to Rap Music Videos and African American Female Adolescents’ Health," In American Journal of Public Health. 2003 March; 93(3): 437–439.

Because potential mediating factors were not assessed, it is difficult to determine whether the relation between exposure to rap music videos and adolescents’ health status was causal.[p.22]
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all act like this some thing new stop it
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    goat thread I was afraid this was gonna be som Uncle Tom list
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    anyone acting like modern hip hop hasn't been detrimental to black ppl is in major denial. point blank
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Good drop.

But after a while, it's OUR fault collectively for not doing anything about it. Or making excuses for crackers like most of you pathetic self-hating ? do.

Crackers be actin up...but we be lettin em *shrug*
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    anyone acting like modern hip hop hasn't been detrimental to black ppl is in major denial. point blank

explain..............

has any genre of music been detrimental to any other racial group?
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Violent crime has gone DOWN since hip-hop started: FACT. LOOK IT UP.

If you think RAP is the cause of problems in the black community then you really have no problem with rap you're just an ignoramus ? who thinks black people are SO stupid a rapper can influence the socioeconomic, cultural, and spiritual direction of an entire people in less than 40 years. REALLY?!

Has nothing to do with poverty and racism? NAH...must be that Lil Wayne ? it all up. Every since BLING BLING things just went crazy right LOL
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sigh...
    ok blacks...

But here is one:

from the article:
    Because potential mediating factors were not assessed, it is difficult to determine whether the relation between exposure to rap music videos and adolescents’ health status was causal.

there is also sample bias...
    and the sample is from 1996 to 1999... Years when the Fugees and Will Smith were going at least 6 times platinum... yet 95% of the sample watched "gangster rap" videos.
    rap is worse than ever, yet blacks are doing better... smh
  • S2J
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Violent crime has gone DOWN since hip-hop started: FACT. LOOK IT UP.

If you think RAP is the cause of problems in the black community then you really have no problem with rap you're just an ignoramus ? who thinks black people are SO stupid a rapper can influence the socioeconomic, cultural, and spiritual direction of an entire people in less than 40 years. REALLY?!

Has nothing to do with poverty and racism? NAH...must be that Lil Wayne ? it all up. Every since BLING BLING things just went crazy right LOL

Calm yo happy ass down man.

Nobody said it CAUSED it. It ADDS to an existing problem.

I just used this analogy: Hip hop is like throwin gas in an existing fire. And yall silly mfers on some 'Oh no, its ok. We didnt start the fire'
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    False accusations...
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been a HipHop fan since 1991 (before I was a teen) and in all those years I could tell facts from fiction in the music.
  • S2J
    Options
    False accusations...

Bruh...ive SEEN you post struggle-articulation posts before, tryna kick knowledge. A lot of bs but the hey, the effort is there...so w/this u gotta b trollin. Gotta be
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    I've been a HipHop fan since 1991 (before I was a teen) and in all those years I could tell facts from fiction in the music.

The world is full of new fatherless ? bro. ? changed.

Yeah true but that same year my parents seperated .. And I lived in a different state from 'em schooling