SSD.....lets talk about it. Help

Options
silverfoxx
silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
Im heavily considering a Asus N56VB.I7 core 8 gb Ram but a weak HDD.

I wanted to purchase a SSD and install it before I even turn my new laptop on.

Is that a good idea?

By the way I was looking at the Kingston 300v 120 gb SSD.

Do I need to clone my hdd in case I lose important drivers? School me, new to this ? .

Comments

• major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »

Is that a good idea?

Do I need to clone my hdd in case I lose important drivers? School me, new to this ? .

wait you do or dont have the laptop already?

if you want to swap out the existing hdd with a SSD, there are apps that will allow you to clone the image to the new disk.

I would caution you to check (if possible) the exact size of the HDD in the chassis now, the SSDs even though they are 2.5" dont always fit like the OEM HDD
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    major pain wrote: »

Is that a good idea?

wait you do or dont have the laptop already?

if you want to swap out the existing hdd with a SSD, there are apps that will allow you to clone the image to the new disk.

I would caution you to check (if possible) the exact size of the HDD in the chassis now, the SSDs even though they are 2.5" dont always fit like the OEM HDD

I never picked it up yet, I was just speaking in advance. I wanted to install the ssd while the laptop was brand new. Also do I replace the HDD or does the SDD serve as a extension component?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I own a 15.6 inch ASUS G55V

I love it. Great machine. Has a 7500 RPM HD @ 750 GB. Start up time after shut down is 31 seconds running windows 8.

Might not need an SSD unless you want even more speed
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? SSD's. ? unreliable as hell. I used to replace them things left and right at my last job.
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    Elrawd wrote: »
    I own a 15.6 inch ASUS G55V

I love it. Great machine. Has a 7500 RPM HD @ 750 GB. Start up time after shut down is 31 seconds running windows 8.

Might not need an SSD unless you want even more speed

Word? Ima check that model out. Good looking out fam.
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    ? SSD's. ? unreliable as hell. I used to replace them things left and right at my last job.

I heard nothing but good things from them. I just wanna have a laptop that I can produced heavy on. (FL studio, protools) .
  • konceptjones
    Options

I heard nothing but good things from them. I just wanna have a laptop that I can produced heavy on. (FL studio, protools) .

SSD's will not enable you to produce any better than a hard drive. Take it from someone that's been using a computer to make music for about 15 years.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A SSD will help you to load and save large tracks quicker. It should also help to load plugins quicker. We're talking read\write speeds.
  • major pain
    Options

SSD's will not enable you to produce any better than a hard drive. Take it from someone that's been using a computer to make music for about 15 years.

yea.. this isnt true at all

fact is read/write speed on SSD is much faster than traditional spindle disks
  • konceptjones
    Options

and it still means absolutely nothing when it comes to "better" production.

Disk speeds are at a point where the issues we had back in '97 have been rendered moot. Right now, any basic 7200rpm SATA hard drive has the throughput necessary to push a gang of 24/96K tracks out AND record new audio at the same time without so much as a hiccup. When you consider that a lot of the audio in curent production comes in the form of softsynths (actual modeled synths), the need for drive throughput decreases. Only streaming samplers/sample playback units require decent drive throughput, and even those don't tax the SATA bus at all.

SSD's simply are not a necessity from a technological perspective. Their cost is simply not justified when it comes to making music.

• Jewpac
    Jewpac Members Posts: 267 ✭✭
    Options

Disk speeds are at a point where the issues we had back in '97 have been rendered moot. Right now, any basic 7200rpm SATA hard drive has the throughput necessary to push a gang of 24/96K tracks out AND record new audio at the same time without so much as a hiccup. When you consider that a lot of the audio in curent production comes in the form of softsynths (actual modeled synths), the need for drive throughput decreases. Only streaming samplers/sample playback units require decent drive throughput, and even those don't tax the SATA bus at all.

SSD's simply are not a necessity from a technological perspective. Their cost is simply not justified when it comes to making music.

Agreed.

An SSD is good to boot from. Put your OS on a small SSD and then store everything on a large 7,200rpm HDD.
  • major pain
    Options
    "Better" is subjective. Faster is not.

There is no way a person can argue that reducing the time it takes to produce data transactions is not a benefit. Unless you simply dont agree that your time is worth a certain amount of money.

I'm also not talking storage capacity either.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    "Better" is subjective. Faster is not.

There is no way a person can argue that reducing the time it takes to produce data transactions is not a benefit. Unless you simply dont agree that your time is worth a certain amount of money.

I'm also not talking storage capacity either.

The only thing it will reduce is the time it takes to launch the OS or DAW, and even then you're talking a difference measured in seconds.

You're not losing productivity going with a standard SATA HDD. For the extra money, it simply isn't worth it to be able to launch an application seconds faster than if you had gone with a HDD.

Like I said, I've been recording for a long time. Computer based audio recording for over 15 years and computer based sequencing since the late 80s. I've seen the progression and we're now at a point where you can use pretty much anything to record with these days.

Case in point: My personal DAW is running a socket 478 P4 with a pair of ATA100 drives in it and one drive sitting on a SATA 1.0(1.5Gbps) bus for audio recording.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are hybrid drives out there that combine the best of both worlds. They are cheaper than the SSDs but still faster than the HDDs. Seems to me these are probably good enough options for most people. A lot of high end computers are built basically to do what someone in here already suggested - run the OS and programs on a relatively small SSD and store information on a much larger HDD.
  • Sage Wonder
    Sage Wonder Members Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jewpac wrote: »

Agreed.

An SSD is good to boot from. Put your OS on a small SSD and then store everything on a large 7,200rpm HDD.

How exactly do you do this? I recently built a new computer, I put my windows 7 file on my SSD and intended to use that as a dedicated drive for OS but now my SSD is stuck as the primary disk drive & I haven't figured out a way to store files on the HDD. Where did I ? up?
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Jewpac wrote: »

Agreed.

How exactly do you do this? I recently built a new computer, I put my windows 7 file on my SSD and intended to use that as a dedicated drive for OS but now my SSD is stuck as the primary disk drive & I haven't figured out a way to store files on the HDD. Where did I ? up?

Click Start and then select the name for your account on the top under the image. Cut and paste the folders to your second drive. When you put the drive in, format it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248980/how_to_format_your_hard_drive_in_windows.html