The Symbolism of He Got Game

freshb651
freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
What was the meaning of Denzel throwing the ball @ the end and Ray catching it ?

I always thought it meant that the ball was in Ray's court now since his pop's was locked up.

Comments

• renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited April 2010
    off imdb

'It's clearly a reference to the scene earlier in the movie where Jesus becomes angry with his father for shoving and yelling at him in their one-on-one game and then throws the ball over the fence. This then eventually led to his Mom being killed by Jake (denzel's character). I believe that throwing the ball over was Jake's way of showing love for Jesus and the ball going to Jesus shows he can slowly forgive his Dad for what he did and know he's one of the few people that actually care about him."
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited April 2010
    all i know is.. this movie dont get enough props.
    this film brung a tear to my eye
    it was powerful.
    spike lee need to get back to the hood. it may be a step back for him career wise but only he can do flims like Clockers and DTRT
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    It was a symbol of Jake finally reuniting with his son. I agree this movie was underrated/. Denzel's performance should get at least Oscar nod.
  • freshb651
    edited April 2010
    like many Spike Lee movies,this is one of the best films ever
  • freshb651
    edited April 2010
    off imdb

'It's clearly a reference to the scene earlier in the movie where Jesus becomes angry with his father for shoving and yelling at him in their one-on-one game and then throws the ball over the fence. This then eventually led to his Mom being killed by Jake (denzel's character). I believe that throwing the ball over was Jake's way of showing love for Jesus and the ball going to Jesus shows he can slowly forgive his Dad for what he did and know he's one of the few people that actually care about him."

i don't know why i didn't think to check imdb,Good Post
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    i know watching that movie burns marbury's soul
  • m. inferno
    m. inferno Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    one of the most confusing endings for a film (not to mention Jungle Fever)
  • spaceagepimpin
    spaceagepimpin Members Posts: 436
    edited April 2010
    off imdb

makes sense
  • renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited April 2010
    Aztec_Kang wrote: »
    i loved this movie.

i actually made my ex watch this with me one time because i wanted to symbolically show her I know hoes ain't ? .

show her 500 days of summer............
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    One of my favorite scenes from this movie....(IMO Denzel's best role)
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upped

I think this movie deeper than we think
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all symbolism was lost on me

i need to watch it again

i was too young to notice
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if SPIKE LEE can pull of a STATIC movie?

I loved the music score for this scene I play it back over and over anytime I watch it. I understand he was upset but he knew it was a accident, denzel did his time he took too long to sign the dam papers..how you gonna let your father rot in jail like that knowing he truly has love for you and your sister unlike his uncle who was taking gifts under the table putting his career at risk.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ckfree wrote: »

i need to watch it again

i watched it again today.
    it came on cinemax and as I was watchin it i saw saw the movie differently than when i saw it at 12.

the way spike used the music, the way he set up the montages of different people in jesus ear...
    when jesus go his his aunt and uncle house and his aunt say "we need you in our life jesus"
    then she grabs uncle bubba hand, they show them from the back and their hands make a v sign on some davinci code ? last supper
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is the last flick i seen at the local theatre before it closed it was raining that day ..dont know why it sticks out to me but it does
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GOAT movie, gotta watch it again.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    saw it when it came out when i was 9 and my mom just kept tryna cover my eyes lmao. saw it again at like 14 and havent since.
    need to check it out again
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonna put this on right now ? it.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    cobbland wrote: »
    One of my favorite scenes from this movie....(IMO Denzel's best role)

What u got there a lil range rover

*quick chop*

Huh? What u say? U cant talk now, right

*makes 'ahh ? i fuked up face' and jogs away*

And i didnt even click the video Lol I know this movie front n back. My all-time favorite movie.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An unintentional symbolic jewel is the scene where all the real college coaches r talkin about him.

Few years later that ? was exactly like what it was w/ Lebron.
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RawAce wrote: »
    ckfree wrote: »

i need to watch it again

i watched it again today.
    it came on cinemax and as I was watchin it i saw saw the movie differently than when i saw it at 12.

the way spike used the music, the way he set up the montages of different people in jesus ear...
    when jesus go his his aunt and uncle house and his aunt say "we need you in our life jesus"
    then she grabs uncle bubba hand, they show them from the back and their hands make a v sign on some davinci code ? last supper

wtf you got all of that

i definetely need to see it again all i remember is ?