*sighs*...@Sion explain this Nintendo travesty!

Recaptimus_Prime360
Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/nintendo-red-third-year-wii-u-sales-flop-2D11947811

Ok, Iwata gotta go...NOW!! This dude is dragging the company down. There is no excuse whatsoever on why Nintendo shouldn't be dominating the gaming the industry right now. They had the perfect alley oop pass wit the Wii, and look what happened. Mediocre graphics. Non-existent 3rd party support. Lack of mature games. It goes on & on. The Wii U is what the Wii should've been when it first got lauched. This is why I haven't bought a Wii U. A lot of folks got burned already wit the Wii. So why would we expect a different outcome?

Something has to change. I'll be real surprised if the board of directors doesn't put in a vote to get rid of Iwata. What say ye Arcade? Your thoughts. What needs to change?

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753692

Not much else to say that hasn't already been said there. Give NOE and NOA the power to make decisions in their respective regions back and they wouldn't be going through this.

When NOA and NOE where in their prime in terms of making decisions & influence around the company Nintendo had it's own FPS games (Perfect Dark, Goldeneye) and sports games (Ken Griffey Baseball, Kobe Bryant Basketball, Waverace, 1080 Snowboarding) and other western appealing licenses that ended up helping them out during the N64 and Gamecube eras. Look what it did for Sony when they restructured SCEE and SCEA before moving on to PS4. This is the only way Japanese companies could survive in today's gaming market.

Japanese software alone is now too niche no matter how great they may be (I.E. Super Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3). Your average gamer wants dudebro games, sports titles and interactive movies. They need to supplement their puzzlers and platformers and action titles with shooters and sports titles and more western appealing fare. Especially now that we're in the age where western IP's actually matter in Japan.

They need to match that in house on their own whether it ends up sinking (I.E. Eternal Darkness) or swimming (Metroid Prime). It's not like they're incapable of it. They've done this on other platforms before (GBA, DS, N64, GC and now 3DS). Why Iwata decided to step up as NOA head when he is so out of touch with western trends is beyond me.
  • Broddie
    edited January 2014
    Getting rid of Iwata is a catch 22.

On one hand you wouldn't have games like Wonderful 101, Kid Icarus: Uprising or Fire Emblem Awakening given the greenlight under another CEO. The fact that he was a dev before a suit has helped a lot with both maintaining the quality of the titles and pushing the artistic boundaries of the devs.

On the other hand he has said "I ? up" and not done anything about it many times before now.

Shareholders are going to look at this way though: "This guy gave us the Wii and turned around the 3DS". In a western company that wouldn't be enough but japanese businesses are weird like that. The majority shareholders are an inner circle that Iwata is a member of. It's their version of the old boys club.
  • Broddie
    edited January 2014
    Dave Jaffe creator of ? of War spoke on this on his twitter. I think most shareholders will hold his pov.
    Calling for Iwata to step down [misses] sight of what makes Nintendo great. You'd never get the Wii-type successes if you don't allow a guy like Iwata to fail hard as well.

...that failure can be a sign that a person has lost 'it' and needs to go OR a sign that a person is still very much relevant and has tons of great work left in them but is taking the same sorts of chances that — in the past — have lead to great successes but are now — temporarily — leading to some failures. You MUST fail if you want to grow and have new successes.

My point is, you WANT a person who fails for these latter reasons and you want to lose one who fails for the initial reasons. I feel Iwata is the [latter] and he's certainly earned the right to fail more than he has to this point. And that's from a gamer AND stockholder perspective. If you [want] make money, back the folks who fail properly. Failure isn't just an option, it's desired if the goal is big success. And investors who don't value failure are idiots.

Many thought Wii 1 was a bad move at first as well. Point is, so what it's a bad move? Investors need to be thinking BIG PICTURE and LONG GAME with a company like Nintendo...companies that I admire are the ones that don't only play for the short term win. you can look at the up and down history of the company and see that if you want to invest in a company like Nintendo, those ups and downs are part of what makes them great.

Imagine throwing out ALL of that wonderful knowledge and understanding and HARD lessons learned by cleaning house at Sony [because] the PS3 did not perform as well as investors would have liked. Yes, sometimes the [solution] is to clean house, sometimes it's to clean a bit of the house, but damn, I think people are losing sight of the value of failure.

https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Ok that's fine and all, but there's only so many times that person can be given a chance to fail before you

Nintendo has to do better. Its 2014, yet their mindframe is still stuck in the SNES/N64/Gamcube era. It shouldn't have taken the Wii U in order for Nintendo to have better graphics. They need to step out their comfort zones and go big. Nintendo can afford to that.

• CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nintendo can afford to make a loss with the U and he made a lotta money for them with the Wii, so I doubt he's goin' anywhere.

The Wii U is different from its predecessor though. It looks like one of those kids laptops. It doesn't have the same family appeal the Wii had and it definitely doesn't have the ? support.

I'll still grab one coz Nintendo don't let their fans down with their big first party releases
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Nintendo can dominate right if they wanted to. But it seems like they've gotten too lazy. Too complacent. They're not even trying to mame an effort to get 3rd party support. I mean I enjoy playin a Super Mario Bros. game but DAMN. can we get more options outside the realm of the usual nitendo characters?
  • Broddie
    edited January 2014
    darkone360 wrote: »
    Ok that's fine and all, but there's only so many times that person can be given a chance to fail before you

Nintendo has to do better. Its 2014, yet their mindframe is still stuck in the SNES/N64/Gamcube era. It shouldn't have taken the Wii U in order for Nintendo to have better graphics. They need to step out their comfort zones and go big. Nintendo can afford to that.

Hey man I'm just pointing out the reality of the situation. If it was up to me Nintendo would be trying unprecedented partnerships with Valve or Samsung or both. The thing is shareholders are the ones that have the power to do anything and what they'll look at is numbers.

Nintendo has more than one platform in the all time top 5 best selling consoles list.

28rpssy.jpg

2 of those were released under Iwata. On top of that he's also overseeing the current market leader (3DS). Shareholders won't ignore that just because of one failure that's just the reality of things. In their mind he could still possibly make Wii U profitable down the line even if it means doing Gamecube numbers which is all that matters to them; being in the black. He gets that benefit of the doubt because of his other tremendous successes within the past decade.

This year is going to be really interesting for Nintendo as a company in light of Iwata making statements like "We are thinking about a new business structure".

• Broddie
    edited January 2014
    Nintendo can dominate right if they wanted to. But it seems like they've gotten too lazy. Too complacent. They're not even trying to mame an effort to get 3rd party support. I mean I enjoy playin a Super Mario Bros. game but DAMN. can we get more options outside the realm of the usual nitendo characters?

They're out there and more are on their way (like Bayonetta 2). People just ignore them. Nintendo is damned if they do and damned if they don't with some of ya.

I personally don't know what YOU want out of Wii U. It appeals to me just fine despite me not really giving a damn about the gamepad because of what really matters; games that appeal to me. But clearly they have to go back to the drawing board with their next home platform. They need real clear marketing, a more aggressive online infrastructure, more devs on board across more genres like the SNES era and the 3DS now and a brand new brand name amongst other things because the game has evolved and left them behind in many respects.
  • Broddie
    edited January 2014

N64 and Gamecube were technically superior to their competition from Sony. The only thing PS2 had over GC was uncompressed audio. They still got spanked.

Matter of fact generally speaking Nintendo has done better with hardware that's technically behind the comp than superior hardware (NES, DS, 3DS, Wii). SNES was one time they were superior to the comp and came out winning. On top of that the last 3 gens the install base winner was always the technically inferior platform (PS, PS2, Wii).

It's not about just matching PS4 and Xbox One in terms of architecture even if that does end up attracting more western 3rd party devs that's not guaranteed to do anything even though they could afford it. Mainly because people will still buy the multiplatform titles for one of the other 2 before they buy it on a Nintendo platform. At this point most people are too conditioned today to buy Nintendo hardware only for Nintendo software. Nintendo has a brand issue that they have to restructure before proceeding with their next home platform.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why don't they just partner up with Apple?.....that would sho nuff all leat fix their online infrastructure