[NPD] Xbox One Leads All Console Sales in December, 3DS Best Overall

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
Xbox One Leads US Console Sales in December
3DS was best-selling hardware overall
by Andrew Goldfarb JANUARY 16, 2014

3DS led overall for all of 2013 (and for December) based on number of units sold, but Callahan noted that “with its $499.99 price point, the Xbox One led annual hardware sales on a dollars basis.” Callahan wrote that Xbox One led consoles sales in December. Microsoft, meanwhile, reports that 908,000 Xbox Ones were sold in the US in December, along with 643,000 Xbox 360 consoles, making XBOX One the top selling overall console and 360 the top selling last gen console. In December, consumers spent a combined $1.39 billion on Xbox 360 and Xbox One hardware, software and accessories. “Fans continue to show their excitement for new generation Xbox One games, with U.S. consumers purchasing an average of 2.9 games per console since launch,” Microsoft said in a statement, noting that the figure refers to both retail and digital games.

Nintendo said in a statement provided to IGN that more than 11.5 million 3DS systems have been sold to date in the United States, and added that software sales increased "by more than 45 percent over sales in 2012." In December, four 3DS games exceeded 1 million units sold overall (combining physical and digital sales), including Pokemon X (1.63 million), Pokemon Y (1.54 million), Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (1.21 million), and Animal Crossing: New Leaf (1.1 million).

The best-selling titles for the period between December 1, 2013 and January 4, 2014, in order, are:

1. Call Of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, XBO, PS4, NWU, PC)**
2. Battlefield 4 (360, XBO, PS4, PS3, PC)
3. Just Dance 2014 (WII, 360, NWU, XBO, PS3, PS4)**
4. Madden NFL 25 (360, XBO, PS3, PS4)
5. NBA 2K14 (360, PS3, PS4, XBO, PC)**
6. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PS3, PS4, XBO, NWU, PC)**
7. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)**
8. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (360, PS3, 3DS, XBO, PS4, NWU, PSV, PC)
9. FIFA 14 (360, PS4, XBO, PS3, PSV)
10. Skylanders SWAP Force (WII, 360, PS3, NWU, 3DS, XBO, PS4)**
**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-is-top-selling-home-console-in-us-for-december-npd/1100-6417183/

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does anyone give a ? about this kind of thing anymore?

Don't you have your XB1 now? I thought by your own words that you'd be too busy playing it to do ? like this anymore.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Damn Animal Crossing: New Leaf is now at almost 7 million sold and Luigi's Mansion is over 3 million sold overall. That's so good to hear because it means the future for both IP's is very bright. Plus both games deserve it. Now give me Luigi's Haunted Castle please.
  • focus
    Options
    Lego Marvel is so dope. Next to the KI, its my most played current gen game.
  • Broddie
    Options
    I have to check out that Lego Marvel eventually. The Lego City games were so good that they've made me a believer.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eh, it's ? to say "Xbox one leads ALL console sales in December" when Sony hasn't even released their numbers yet.

Even if Sony is behind, they probably aren't that far behind.
  • Broddie
    Options
    The funny thing is the article title contradicts the content of the article itself since 3DS led console sales and not Xbox One.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    3ds is not a console though, at least that's how they look at it.
  • Broddie
    edited January 2014
    Options
    3DS is a console so is the Vita. A video game platform doesn't stop being a video game platform just because it's portable. It is journalism though so sensational and over the top headlines gain more hits than accuracy. I get why they do it even if it's not true.
  • focus
    edited January 2014
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Eh, it's ? to say "Xbox one leads ALL console sales in December" when Sony hasn't even released their numbers yet.

LOL. Do you think NPD just releases whatever the company tells them they sold? They track it themselves bruh.

@Broddie, you thinking about the "console vs handheld" thing too hard.
  • Broddie
    Options
    It's always been a pet peeve of mine. We're not talking about Tiger Electronics joints or a Game & Watch here. Handheld consoles have had extensive software libraries that rival home console libraries in terms of quality and fun factor for about 25 years now.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    It's always been a pet peeve of mine. We're not talking about Tiger Electronics joints or a Game & Watch here. Handheld consoles have had extensive software libraries that rival home console libraries in terms of quality and fun factor for about 25 years now.

Like focus said, you're thinking about it too hard. They aren't trying to disrespect handhelds by not referring to them as consoles, they are just using too different words to further distinguish them. It makes sense especially given that the customer base for the two groups are not necessarily the same. In other words, not everyone who plays consoles plays handhelds, so it makes more sense to compare systems to other systems within those categories than across them.
  • VIBE
    Options
    focus wrote: »

LOL. Do you think NPD just releases whatever the company tells them they sold? They track it themselves bruh.

@Broddie, you thinking about the "console vs handheld" thing too hard.

So, what's their numbers then?
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lego Marvel is so dope. Next to the KI, its my most played current gen game.

Is it really? Been on the fence about picking up this game. I have a soft spot for Comic/Superhero games (whether they good or not) but not really a big fan of the Lego games.
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, not a single XBOX One 'exclusive' on that list. But I guess the PS4 still don't have any games to play according to the threadstarter's opinion.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol ? still think these people are buy the consoles just for the "exclusive" games lol
  • VIBE
    Options
    Lol ? still think these people are buy the consoles just for the "exclusive" games lol

That's what sells me on a console.

Sonys exclusives>>>

It's that simple
  • Broddie
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Exclusives are the only reason to own any platform. People wonder why I would have a PS4 and Xbox One in my home even though they share a lot of the same games. Exclusives.
  • Broddie
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Damn, not a single XBOX One 'exclusive' on that list. But I guess the PS4 still don't have any games to play according to the threadstarter's opinion.
    During the month of December, Xbox One held six of the top 10 spots on the new generation console game title list: “Battlefield 4,” “Forza Motorsport 5,“Dead Rising 3,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” “Madden NFL 25” and “Call of Duty: Ghosts” (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).

Fans continue to show their excitement for new generation Xbox One games, with U.S. consumers purchasing an average of 2.9 games* per console since launch.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/xbox-one-december-npd
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, I already see the bias off the name of that website alone.
  • focus
    Options

Bias numbers?
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broodie hit it on the head.. that's y I always buy both consoles and just enjoy gaming... meanwhile ? here just talk about ? they never plan on having and hate on the other system with no warrant
  • Broddie
    Options

Bias numbers?

LMAO they ask the questions then get tight at the answers. That ? is no different than Sony or Nintendo posting a story about their NPD stats on their official websites.
  • VIBE
    Options
    What's Sonys numbers, @focus
  • focus
    edited January 2014
    Options
    What's Sonys numbers, @focus

Ask Sony or NPD directly I guess. NPD information is private unless subscribed to I believe, which i'm sure Sony does. Even though Sony doesn't "officially" track this data, they are provided the info by NPD should they choose to release it to the public...like Micro$oft did. NPD will even provide a statement on behalf of Sony...like they did for Micro$oft. However, Sony hasn't done this in awhile because they always lose to XBOX in NPD.
  • focus
    edited January 2014
    Options

Am I overlooking Killzone or Knack on that list some were?