Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im guessing Joel won't even be playable
  • Bcotton5
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    Lol you already know what happened in the DLC if you paid attention to the story

Ironic
  • Bcotton5
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    achewon87 wrote: »

I like how you'll be able use infected and human enemies against each other. That's a mechanic that I was surprised they didn't incorporate into the main game.

• KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Presenting the Game of the Year for 2013 and now the most awarded game in history:

jcrKpp7luUDzk.jpg

Total Game of the Year Awards from publications around the world:

Most Awarded Game in History:

The Last of Us - 229
    The Critics' Picks - 181
    The Readers' Picks - 48

Runner-Up:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 226
    The Critics' Picks - 163
    The Readers' Picks - 63

Congrats to the Game of the Year, Game of the Generation, and now the most awarded game in history! The Last of Us has created a legacy that will surely live on forever in the industry. Although very well received on initial release, other games proved to have higher initial acclaim. However, these awards evidently prove that unlike those other titles who lost their hype and acclaim by the end of the year, The Last of Us had an unmatched impact that would preserve its place throughout 2013 and ultimately throughout history. It challenged the importance of narratives in gaming, challenged the importance of video games in popular culture, broke barriers for complex characters and women in gaming and prevailed without the massive sales, hype, and budget that its greatest competitors had. It has clearly resonated and impacted critics and gamers more than any other game in history, and these awards prove that.

Good luck topping this masterpiece Naughty Dog.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    KillaCham wrote: »
    It challenged the importance of narratives in gaming, challenged the importance of video games in popular culture, broke barriers for complex characters and women in gaming and prevailed without the massive sales, hype, and budget that its greatest competitors had. It has clearly resonated and impacted critics and gamers more than any other game in history, and these awards prove that.

Good luck topping this masterpiece Naughty Dog.

*facepalm*

This game is great and merits praise, of course, but really? "Broke barriers with complex characters and women in gaming?" LOL who originally typed this dickride piece?

• Bcotton5
    Game of the forever
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That black chick doing voice over for Riley got some big ass ? .
  • Bcotton5
    _DUB_ wrote: »
    Lol you already know what happened in the DLC if you paid attention to the story

Ironic

Joel didnt meet Ellie till after all this happened right?
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ironic

My ? ...please stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAT9nkGZa08
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Marlene gonna play a bigger role in this since she knew Ellie and her mother? ? , Riley might be Marlene's daughter.
  • Bcotton5

Ironic

My ? ...please stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAT9nkGZa08

what am I saying thats wrong?
  • Bcotton5
    I jus got a psn message saying left behind DLC drops on Valentine's Day this Friday
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going Hands-On With The Last of Us’ DLC, Left Behind
    Unadulterated exploration...
    I’ve played through and beaten The Last of Us’ upcoming single-player DLC entitled Left Behind, and in many ways, it’s met my expectations. I’ll leave my pointed praise and criticism for next week’s review, but let’s just say that Left Behind – a brief prequel to the events of the main game -- gives you a few more hours to play The Last of Us and experience it in a new way, and that alone will make playing it a worthwhile endeavor.

Of course, there’s more to it than that, because Left Behind isn’t just more The Last of Us. It’s more of one very specific aspect of Naughty Dog’s masterpiece, granting players permission to explore the dilapidated ruins of the post-pandemic United States one last time (as this is the game’s one and only piece of single player DLC). While there is fighting and gunplay in Left Behind, what it readily emphasizes is a steady, slow, and thoughtful examination of a long-abandoned mall. There are surprises – awesome, story-bending surprises, in fact – but by-and-large, this once-bastion of commerce outside of Boston’s quarantine zone is the DLC’s main focus.

Left Behind also zeroes in on The Last of Us’ young female protagonist Ellie, as well as her friend Riley. You may have seen Riley in the American Dreams comic books, and Left Behind strives to further illustrate her relationship with Ellie. This is accomplished from the get-go, when Riley storms into Ellie’s bunk at the quarantine zone and suddenly wakes her up. These two girls go back a ways; there’s a familiarity between them. They know each other, they are endeared to each other, and they get along great. Left Behind does an exceptional job of making you want to experience their story, even if it’s only cursorily related to the events of the main game. And as you’d probably expect, you’ll want to stay away from it if you’ve not beaten The Last of Us, since it will absolutely spoil the campaign for you.

Actress Ashley Johnson does a great job of jumping back into the character of Ellie, a character PlayStation gamers absolutely adore not only for her smart mouth and surprisingly adult demeanor, but for her moments of vulnerability and her inability to fully comprehend what the real, pre-pandemic world even was. You get more of that here, though there’s an edge taken off of her because we see her largely through the lens of someone who hasn’t yet been bitten by the Infected or met Joel. Her world hasn’t yet been turned upside down.

Johnson’s performance is commendable, and so too is that of newcomer Yaani King, who -- in her first mo-capped gaming role – provides the yin to Ellie’s yang. The two girls’ interactions with one another made me a believer in their friendship. Everything is tangible between them. There’s true emotion there. Their back-and-forth is arguably as interesting to listen to as Ellie’s and Joel’s.
    Exploration is the name of the game.

Left Behind doesn’t lean on combat, but it’s there, and as promised, there’s a new dynamic to it. Ellie will find herself in situations where she has to do battle with the Infected, or with fellow human survivors, but there are also instances where both are attacking her – and each other – at once. These melees are awesome, and I wish they appeared in the main campaign. It’s a sadistic treat to distract one side with some gunfire or a tossed (and subsequently broken) bottle, only to watch them turn their ire on each other, and not you. This is a dynamic totally unseen in Joel’s quest.

Ellie feels radically different from Joel. She’s smaller and weaker, and she can’t handle herself like Joel can. We got a taste of this in The Last of Us itself, but it’s more pronounced here. The two characters can craft the same items and find themselves in similarly dangerous predicaments, but there are major differences to be found, and those differences are obvious almost immediately. While Joel might be able to run at an incoming enemy to ward him off, Ellie can only do so much damage with her dagger and often has to retreat to keep her enemies at bay.
    Danger is lurking.

With that said, I couldn’t help but wonder if Left Behind needed combat at all. As much as I love the gameplay mechanics of The Last of Us, what resonated most with me was the simple act of seeing the mall with Ellie and Riley. I loved how the very act of going to the shopping center – something young girls frequently do in the world we live in – is something they do too, even if it’s a wholly different experience in their world. There’s more to the story than this – I won’t spoil that here – but I could have taken Left Behind as nothing more than walking in and out of stores, seeing what’s been left behind (get it?) by the countless looters that were there before them, and hearing them speak to one another about anything and everything under the distant sun.

Still, The Last of Us’ plot and narrative-driven nature is alive and well in Left Behind, and that’s the best news fans could possibly hear. So much is jam-packed into a few short hours that it’d be impossible to go over it all. And even if I could, I wouldn’t want to spoil the surprises stuffed into it. All I’ll say is this: there’s every reason for you to be excited about Left Behind, especially if you want to learn more about Ellie’s origins while getting a haunting – albeit brief – glimpse back into her world.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/02/07/going-hands-on-with-the-last-of-us-dlc-left-behind
  • Bcotton5
    Am I supposed to read the spoiler?
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Am I supposed to read the spoiler?

If you want, talks about the mechanics and what they changed up, the guy played through it already, not much talk of story or anything but did not want to ruin it for those who want to go in fresh...
  • Bcotton5
    Got something to do this weekend!
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol at ellie tellin riley to suck her ?
  • Bcotton5
    damn I gotta wait till next weekend
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finished it ...great DLC to add to a already great game
  • Bcotton5
    I didnt play it yet but someone spoiled the part about Ellie being a lesbian
  • Bcotton5
    I didnt play it yet
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didnt play it yet but someone spoiled the part about Ellie being a lesbian

Mmm