CC SABATHIA JOINS ROC NATION SPORTS

Options
_Goldie_
_Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
Now that Robinson Cano has joined the Mariners, Jay Z has a new Yankee in the fold at Roc Nation Sports. It’s left-hander CC Sabathia, who tweeted out the following picture earlier this evening:

BeJJVTCCEAA_iI_-630x663.jpg

Sabathia was previously represented by Brian Peters of Legacy Sports. The 33-year-old is signed through 2016, so he won’t have to worry about a new contract for a while. However, aligning himself with Jay Z could lead to additional marketing opportunities. There’s mutual benefit here, as Sabathia also adds some star power to Jay Z’s growing stable of athletes. Roc Nation also represents NBA superstar Kevin Durant and NFL players Victor Cruz and Geno Smith.

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cc done lost more weight..hopefully he gets his velocity back this season..our pitching is going to have to carry the team and we need our ace

the only way to know if roc nation sports is going to be legit is to see how many players they represent in the upcoming drafts..1-3 first round picks in the nfl and 1 nba first rounder would be huge
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i just went to a jay z show friday and i peeped CC in person to watch my team the yankees beat the red sox so its no hate when i bring up the following point: what the ? does any big name star benifit from roc nation sports?

dont get me wrong mediocre middle of the road ballers need jays co sign. But honestly cats like KD don't need jay. You could probally get just as many endorsements and exposure without paying roc nation sports. You could juts pay for a cheaper agent and rake in more money. Jay a businessman and all but if your a big named athlete like CC or KD you really don't need him or the AAC agency they work with.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay snatching everybody up
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    i just went to a jay z show friday and i peeped CC in person to watch my team the yankees beat the red sox so its no hate when i bring up the following point: what the ? does any big name star benifit from roc nation sports?

dont get me wrong mediocre middle of the road ballers need jays co sign. But honestly cats like KD don't need jay. You could probally get just as many endorsements and exposure without paying roc nation sports. You could juts pay for a cheaper agent and rake in more money. Jay a businessman and all but if your a big named athlete like CC or KD you really don't need him or the AAC agency they work with.

Yeah. It comes off as hate my ? ...these dudes been in the big leagues for years.. U really think they signing with just Jay becuz it's Jay?
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

for the same reason why going to anything other than a T14 law school is a waste of time

prestige

names matter whether its warranted or not you want a hardball negotiator from a respected agency to deal with the wolves of owners and general managers on your behalf anything less and they wont have the experience/knowhow or the connections to further your brand off the court/field

its hard to get your foot through the door off just your name just look at kanye rants

not saying it cant be done because mav carter seems to be doing just fine but its rare why take the chance ? with your money
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    do these folks get ROC chains
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »

for the same reason why going to anything other than a T14 law school is a waste of time

prestige

names matter whether its warranted or not you want a hardball negotiator from a respected agency to deal with the wolves of owners and general managers on your behalf anything less and they wont have the experience/knowhow or the connections to further your brand off the court/field

its hard to get your foot through the door off just your name just look at kanye rants

not saying it cant be done because mav carter seems to be doing just fine but its rare why take the chance ? with your money

how many commercials and advertising did CC and KD get before signing to jay? The answer is a shitlaod. Hence why i said if your a big name you are going to get as much as the market offers you for your sport and fame unless you area middle tier or low tier player.

the biggest thing jay will have to do is prove he can expand on their brands and really use his name to get them more. yes kanyes name only got him so far but how much further will jayz name get someone in endorsements whos a superstar? How much more money will AAC's agents get than what scott boris or drew rosenhaus could get?

• ckfree
    Options

prestige

how many commercials and advertising did CC and KD get before signing to jay? The answer is a shitlaod. Hence why i said if your a big name you are going to get as much as the market offers you for your sport and fame unless you area middle tier or low tier player.

the biggest thing jay will have to do is prove he can expand on their brands and really use his name to get them more. yes kanyes name only got him so far but how much further will jayz name get someone in endorsements whos a superstar? How much more money will AAC's agents get than what scott boris or drew rosenhaus could get?

honestly ive never seen cc on my tv when he wasnt pitching maybe its a regional thing but word on kd he has so many endorsements and commercials for himself he really didnt need jay only thing i can think of is him really trying to pursue a rap career because he was being represented by the same people that handle kobe

im pretty sure drew and scott could have gotten kd the same deals jay z would get him cause theyre top tier agents themselves i was mostly touching on you saying they should get cheaper agents so they could rake in more money

lol ? around with an unknown and end up playing on minumum based salary with a contract heavily weighed on incentives like master p did ricky
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

prestige

honestly ive never seen cc on my tv when he wasnt pitching maybe its a regional thing but word on kd he has so many endorsements and commercials for himself he really didnt need jay only thing i can think of is him really trying to pursue a rap career because he was being represented by the same people that handle kobe

im pretty sure drew and scott could have gotten kd the same deals jay z would get him cause theyre top tier agents themselves i was mostly touching on you saying they should get cheaper agents so they could rake in more money

lol ? around with an unknown and end up playing on minumum based salary with a contract heavily weighed on incentives like master p did ricky

nah i mispoke as far as a cheap agent. i think though more toward the marketing standpoint is where you could get it done for less. and i think jay will find it will be hard to market cano and CC past what they already are long term. Like you said you have hardly seen CC on tv. And really that wont change. And with cano after 2 years his visibility will dissappear in seattle. thats not to say AAC cant get these ? paid but at the end of they day jay has to prove what he could do to market these cats beyond what they would have become or already gotten. Jay could prove me wrong but i don't think roc nation sports could dramatically help market already big named stars. Where they might find a niche is marketing middle of the road cats into getting more promo and endorsements than they are worth.

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i find it funny how the other agent are now trying to say...hes signing talent and making money off of who they are and that hes really not doing anything....

so what have other agents been doing all this time?

do they not sell who the person already is?
  • ckfree
    Options

prestige

nah i mispoke as far as a cheap agent. i think though more toward the marketing standpoint is where you could get it done for less. and i think jay will find it will be hard to market cano and CC past what they already are long term. Like you said you have hardly seen CC on tv. And really that wont change. And with cano after 2 years his visibility will dissappear in seattle. thats not to say AAC cant get these ? paid but at the end of they day jay has to prove what he could do to market these cats beyond what they would have become or already gotten. Jay could prove me wrong but i don't think roc nation sports could dramatically help market already big named stars. Where they might find a niche is marketing middle of the road cats into getting more promo and endorsements than they are worth.

its as if jay was/is trying to enhance his image as an agent by associating himself with people that pretty much sell themselves and are guaranteed to have a niche

kd (speaks for itself)
    victor cruz (corner the ? market especially in ny)
    skylar diggins (pretty ? )

i see what you was getting at now everybody seems to be winning but the players themselves

jay z can brag about how everything he touches turns to gold in his music like how he bragged about owning the nets even though it was a very small share and you got caa (the biggest winners) backing roc nation sports using jay z as a front to use the celebrity/brand he has built unto himself as a rapper to help recruit players away from competition to roc nation sports thats under their umbrella

which makes the geno cc and cano signings interesting i wanna see how he packages that cause none of them seem to have a charismatic personality or anything ordinary outside of what they do in their profession
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dunno, what doors are Jay opening for these guys, like Wall Street, Real estate, private equity - maybe he's sharing his Rolodex with these guys for a fee cuz they don't need him or CAA for endorsements (TV spots yes) or contract negotiations