UnderMiSensi
UnderMiSensi Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in The Social Lounge
http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/17/8-best-places-black-people-live/
7 of The Best Places for Black People to Live in Africa and Caribbean
January 17, 2014 | Posted by A Moore

trasacco-valley-properties-accra-ghana-600x275.jpg
ACCRA, GHANA

Ghana is Africa’s fastest growing economy and has developed a remarkable degree of stability. The West African nation’s growth rate exceed 10 percent in 2012, and it’s projected to remain relatively high for the next few years. The government of Ghana has been demonstrating a commitment to investing proceeds into the country’s social and physical infrastructure, increasing the overall livability in the nation.

Ghana’s capital city, Accra, is a sophisticated urban area, with a full range of restaurants, bars, nightclubs, and increasingly, shopping malls. There are many affluent areas, including East Legon—the location of the city’s only traditional shopping complex, Accra Mall.

Another popular option is Osu, locally referred to as “Oxford Street,” where many go to shop and hang out. The downtown area has seen much development over the last decade and the range of serviced high-rise apartments makes it an easy location to set up home quickly.

In addition to being a wonderful urban home for roughly 20 percent of Ghana’s 20 million total population, Accra has become the leisure destination of choice for affluent Nigerians, who take a quick 45-minute flight to spend time at their Accra weekend homes. The warmth of the Ghanaian people is an asset and is an important part of what draws visitors to return to spend leisure time here. The tropical climate is also a plus.

nairobi_skyline-600x449.jpg
NAIROBI, KENYA

Kenya is well positioned for economic growth because of its geographic location, its innovative-aggressive population, and relatively good infrastructure and facilities.

Nairobi is fast becoming the African city of choice for multinational companies seeking a foothold for their African operations. The city possesses much of the sophistication of the large South African cities, but provides these offerings in a “kinder and gentler” way. While there are some tensions around election time, the government is generally considered stable.

Housing options include many comfortable suburban-style homes at affordable prices relative to other African cities, often with a reasonably sized land plots. Apartment compounds have also sprung up in recent years, many with the comforts of swimming pools and fitness centers. The technology industry offers much promise, and Internet connectivity is considered to be the best on the continent today.

Aerial_View_of_Sea_Point_Cape_Town_South_Africa-600x399.jpg
CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA

South Africa is considered by many to be the best region to live in sub-Saharan Africa. The city of Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, let alone Africa, having won a number of prestigious international travel awards. It’s where most people in South Africa wish they lived. While the town has lovely summers (October–April), there is a winter season filled with much fog, rain and wind.

Cape Town, also known as “Mother City,” is the center of the insurance and now burgeoning digital sectors in SA. It’s also where you’ll find the advertising executives and creatives, with many retailers and fashion designers headquartered there.

Housing options vary, from Tuscan-styled homes (a trend seen across the country), funky “SoHo”-style downtown lofts, and gated urban estates. While crime rates remain high, security is generally considered to be less of a concern than in Johannesburg, and is evidenced through the conspicuous absence of the ubiquitous high walls and electric fences seen around houses in parts of Johannesburg and Pretoria.

Like many 2010 World Cup host cities, Cape Town’s public transport infrastructure was given a makeover during the event, primarily through the MyCiTi rapid bus service. Routes are still limited though, so unless you’re willing to commute via railway or chance the minivan taxis, it still is the kind of city where it’s best to have your own car to get around.

Johannesburg-Skyline-South-Africa-600x337.jpg
JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA

From the moment you step off the plane at O.R. Tambo International Airport, it becomes clear why Johannesburg is considered a world-class city. ORTIA rivals the best airports in developed worlds. It’s sleek, modern, expansive and offers a wealth of stores and restaurants, much like many parts of this economic capital of South Africa and the continent at large.

Since the late 1800s, thousands migrated to the city seeking employment at one of the many gold mines. The quarries have since dried up, but the influx of people continues today. They come from other parts of the country and from across the continent, to work and to make money. Johannesburg is also an attractive base for many African companies as it provides easier access to international opportunities.

In recent years there has been efforts to revive the neglected inner city. Money has been invested by the local government to clean the streets, and renovate the derelict buildings. It’s paid off, with the private sector now playing a role, too. New apartment blocks are filling up and plans are being made for a new mall. Malls though, are not hard to find. Apart from the larger Sandton City and Eastgate mall, virtually every suburb has one or two of their own. Though a concrete jungle in some parts, many visitors are surprised by how lush and green the city actually is. In fact, Johannesburg holds the title of the largest man-made forest in the world.

Comments

• High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now this is what's up.

Great thread.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    its time for another pics from africa thread
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i heard that Bahamas is great to live in
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm moving to Lagos. Nigeria where I can be rich as hell and defeat the boko hama and marry @babybugatti nothing can stop me!
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL...Boko Haram should be stopped asap.

Great thread though. I already had my eye on visiting the first four cities mentioned. But I had no clue about Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.
  • Cor Blimey
    Cor Blimey Members Posts: 3
    England is good if you don't mind the miserable weather
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man africa would be cool if it didnt have all them ? deadly animals black mambas etc...
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    goat thread

It's truly sad that Nigeria, probably the second or third most resourceful country in Africa, is having its enormous wealth stolen by corruption. The country should be so much more developed than it is right now. Part of me is hoping for a revolution, but that would probably just make things worse.
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to retire in Belize.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plutarch wrote: »
    goat thread

It's truly sad that Nigeria, probably the second or third most resourceful country in Africa, is having its enormous wealth stolen by corruption. The country should be so much more developed than it is right now. Part of me is hoping for a revolution, but that would probably just make things worse.

You can say that about half the continent.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Africa stealing from Africans and indoctrinating them. Get out of the eurocentric thinking and gain your ancestors thinking.
  • Cunt_Lyfe
    Cunt_Lyfe Members, Writer Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i heard that Bahamas is great to live in

It is. My aunt was a Professor at the university in Nassau for three years.
  • Cunt_Lyfe
    Cunt_Lyfe Members, Writer Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised South Africa is on that list. There is still so much rampant economic inequality for Black South Africans. Granted, I did not visit Cape Town, but it's very visibly evident in Johannesburg.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? _Lyfe wrote: »
    I'm surprised South Africa is on that list. There is still so much rampant economic inequality for Black South Africans. Granted, I did not visit Cape Town, but it's very visibly evident in Johannesburg.

Yeah, the trend is moving towards blacks being empowered fiscally though. Plus if you've got money in the US and move there, you're not exactly going to be starting at the bottom.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.