Complex magazine "How illmatic ruined hip hop"

Comments

• nycdiesel
    nycdiesel Members Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Illmatic did have one terrible lasting impact: It gave rise to the idea that rap albums would be better served with multiple producers."

really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYpnINrZM_M

Complex made a shock thread in the Reason, trollin out chea
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    read through the article and to a degree i somewhat agree

i made the argument a few times about how current hip-hop tries to copy that next hot sound making everyone sound the same. back in the 90s was different because u had a lot of groups and artist with their own sound cuz they stuck to one or two main producers.

wu-tang had rza, bone had dj u-neek and eazy, dmx had swizz beatz, cam had mostly the same producers on confessions of fire, big tymers had mannie fresh, outkast used 1 or 2 on atliens, dre did all his own beats, etc.

the ? worked wonders and made some classic albums when done correctly but if the hottest producer out is over saturating the game with today's 'hottest trending sounds' more people jump the bandwagon and everything starts to sound the same, making the genre seem more generic, less genuine.

u cant blame nas tho, it was the growing popularity of rap and internet accessibility that caused this ? if anything. anyone with talent and connections is gonna try to capitalize regardless.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smh yo. Complex busy trying to tear illmatic down.
  • stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man get that ? wale on the phone they got to get this work for that
  • GunTown
    GunTown Members Posts: 3,489
    edited January 2014
    It's Nas best album and is a classic only because of it's influence on technical lyricisim and complex technical rhyming

But musically i have always found it boring and bland i don't enjoy the album at all musically it doesn't have replay value for me so i do agree with what they are saying

That's pretty much how i feel about all of Nas music, he can rap and is technically a sound rappr but i find his music boring and unappealing i respect he can spit but i feel his music is not good and is dull
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    So Illmatic ruined hip hop by allowing producers to work with more than 1 artist at a time? Thats stupid
  • choppa_style
    choppa_style Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭
    5th Letter wrote: »
    did yall even read the article?

it was a valid viewpoint; the headline is overly dramatic.
    Actually the article does have a point and it's something that I've thought myself for a long time.

Nah ? that. Is Rolling Stones magazine writing articles about why (classic rock album) ruined rock music? Illmatic is one of the most celebrated pieces of work in hip hop history and these hipsters aren't gonna trash it just for the sake of cheap headlines.

They didn't say anything negative about Illmatic. The point was just that it started a trend that led to less cohesive sounding albums, which I think is a valid point. Compare Dre's Dre 2001 to Xzibit's Restless. Don't you think 2001 has a more singular sound?
    Lab Baby wrote: »

Actually the article does have a point and it's something that I've thought myself for a long time.

Nah ? that. Is Rolling Stones magazine writing articles about why (classic rock album) ruined rock music? Illmatic is one of the most celebrated pieces of work in hip hop history and these hipsters aren't gonna trash it just for the sake of cheap headlines.

Word. That's like XXL saying Dark Side of the Moon ruined rock by incorporating a cohesive concept that couldn't be duplicated. Ol sayin ? cuz it sounds cool ass ? .

I don't think that's an accurate analogy at all. The title is overly dramatic, but the content of the article doesn't say the genre was ruined. It even says it's one of the greatest rap albums ever in the subtitle.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tf is complex talking bout
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bunch of professional idiots.
    Hip-Hop is still America's favorite step child.
    In The 90's ? was at its peak still fresh.
    Now it seems to the point where people are more critical.
    I would compare it to hiring new workers and expecting them to be on the level of someone wit 30 years experience.
    I feel the powers that be get a kick out this sh#t!
    We got less talented rappers, with less resources then get mad when their ? come out wack.
    We got less experienced rappers and refuse to let old school leaders help mold the future generations.
  • choppa_style
    Clearly none of you'all even read the article.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator

They didn't say anything negative about Illmatic. The point was just that it started a trend that led to less cohesive sounding albums, which I think is a valid point. Compare Dre's Dre 2001 to Xzibit's Restless. Don't you think 2001 has a more singular sound?

Word. That's like XXL saying Dark Side of the Moon ruined rock by incorporating a cohesive concept that couldn't be duplicated. Ol sayin ? cuz it sounds cool ass ? .

I don't think that's an accurate analogy at all. The title is overly dramatic, but the content of the article doesn't say the genre was ruined. It even says it's one of the greatest rap albums ever in the subtitle.

"Illmatic ruined hip hop" sounds negative to me. The point is that it's not cool for these crackas to tear down one of the best albums in hip hop regardless of whatever logic they want to use.
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wale is going to call them and cry about it
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    Nah Son wrote: »
    ? Complex. Heres a dope gif

Wrestle%20Butt%20Move.gif

Who that sista?
    Thats Naomi from WWE...ass looks juicier than four Strawbursts mashed together.
    Sadly she just got married
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what I mean. It's not that they negatively critiqued it, everyone has an opinion. It's that they were wrong on all accounts. It's basically a backhanded way of saying hip hop doesn't know the potential of our own culture cuz others couldn't duplicate Illmatic. Of all the reasons hip hop is "ruined", from the labels, to the DJ getting shut out, to even magazines like themselves... Illmatic? Plus they're not a hip hop magazine anyway, so there's even less credibility in that statement.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? article by a ? magazine
  • choppa_style

"Illmatic ruined hip hop" sounds negative to me. The point is that it's not cool for these crackas to tear down one of the best albums in hip hop regardless of whatever logic they want to use.

Well based on this quote from the actual article it doesn't sound like that's the point at all, but if that's how you're reading it then it's cool.
    Complex wrote:
    First and foremost, no one is saying that Nas' Illmatic is in any way, shape, or form wack. It’s probably the greatest rap album of all time. It set the gold standard for every album after it. It’s just a phenomenal piece of art. Point blank period. With that being said...

Illmatic did have one terrible lasting impact: It gave rise to the idea that rap albums would be better served with multiple producers. That lead to an overall decline in the cohesion and quality of rap albums and ushered in the era of superproducers.

That's what I mean. It's not that they negatively critiqued it, everyone has an opinion. It's that they were wrong on all accounts. It's basically a backhanded way of saying hip hop doesn't know the potential of our own culture cuz others couldn't duplicate Illmatic. Of all the reasons hip hop is "ruined", from the labels, to the DJ getting shut out, to even magazines like themselves... Illmatic? Plus they're not a hip hop magazine anyway, so there's even less credibility in that statement.

You lost me dude. The article is saying that other rappers tried to copy the Illmatic formula which led to less cohesive sounding albums. Where are you getting the notion that it's saying the culture didn't reach its potential because of rappers failing to duplicate Illmatic?
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kameron! wrote: »
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    Nah Son wrote: »
    ? Complex. Heres a dope gif

Wrestle%20Butt%20Move.gif

Who that sista?
    Thats Naomi from WWE...ass looks juicier than four Strawbursts mashed together.
    Sadly she just got married

Her ass something else when she wrestle at Barclay's center in TLC 2012 good gawddd.
  • maxlancaster
    maxlancaster Members Posts: 12
    I thought they were just stirring controversy for page views, but then I read the article and it's a fairly cohesive argument.

However, I think this is all a moot point in 2014 because most music is single/one downloadable track at a time driven rather than album driven anyway.
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    This article is full of ? . Complex proved they totally ran out of ideas again.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    It ruined hip hop because it had multiple producers. I get the gist of their point. I just think it's ? .
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get this article 300% the ? out of here.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    which big names tried to copy the style?
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nas got those fools over at Complex all up in their feelings.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't even bother reading this ? .....I expect trolling from posters....to a certain extent even artists....but for "professional publication" to come up with some left field argument to disgrace a classic album just to get views is shameful.....we should flood their ?