Who Has More Classic Albums Eminem or Jay Z???

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    GunTown wrote: »
    Thread starter do u have twitter?

On twitter make a tweet asking the same question telling people to R.T. if they think Eminem does or R.T. if they think Jay Z does

I gurantee u Eminem will win by a landslide

That's because Eminem has more fans...or stans
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay-z - Reasonable Doubt, Vol.1,
    Eminem - MMLP, Eminem Show

A tie for me
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    Imo I'll give Jay 3 for Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint, and The Black Album with two pretty close ones in Vol. 2 and American Gangster.....Eminem I'd give one with SSLP with The Eminem Show being close but even if I gave him two he ain't got more then Jay unless you just a em stan then wanna probably give em 4 and jay none

MMLP isn't classic to you?

That's the one I meant to put don't know wtf I was thinking putting sslp as a classic
  • JerfyT
    JerfyT Members Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭
    Eminem Show is better than MMLP
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eminem has mmlp
    JayZ has reasonable doubt, blueprint, and black album
  • GetoBoy

On twitter make a tweet asking the same question telling people to R.T. if they think Eminem does or R.T. if they think Jay Z does

He probably would seeing as how the ppl who would vote for him on Twitter are probably the same ones wondering why the uproar over macklemore winning hip hop album of the year.... But anybody that knows even the SLIGHT bit of hip hop would AT WORSE which I wouldnt even agree with that, but at worse would call it a tie....nobody in they right mind but stan himself would call it em 4 jay none....well besides you too I guess
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when discussing classics it really doesnt matter what album is better. its about so many things...example illmatic is a undeniable hip hop classic album...NO DEBATE!!! its not nas best album imo...it was written is his best album but it was written dropped at a different time and therefore it didnt have the impact of illmatic. honestly explain the impact of any of eminem albums besides the fact that he was a white rapper who made us forget about vanilla ice? he was backed by dr. dre and therefore it was cool for white people to buy his albums. what is his impact on hip hop? im being nice by saying he has 1 classic but y'all bugging saying he got 3 and arguably 4 classics. why? cuz u like a album doesnt make it a classic
  • freethewave
    freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If say 2 each with sslp,mmlp,rd,bp

And whoever puttin mmlp2 as classic is an idiot

Jay longevity and consistany is greater

Em run from 99-03 is better than jay
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    ? dont even have the same definition for classic. all people do most of the time is list their favorite albums in this classic debate anyway. thats why i try not to get into it

jay has the better catalog than em anyway. comparing jays best albums imo to ems (blueprint, AG vs. the eminem show, MMLP) jay wins

compare their good albums, jay wins
    compare their mediocre albums, jay wins
    compare their worst albums, jay wins

both are two of my favorite but i rock with jays music more

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    when discussing classics it really doesnt matter what album is better. its about so many things...example illmatic is a undeniable hip hop classic album...NO DEBATE!!! its not nas best album imo...it was written is his best album but it was written dropped at a different time and therefore it didnt have the impact of illmatic. honestly explain the impact of any of eminem albums besides the fact that he was a white rapper who made us forget about vanilla ice? he was backed by dr. dre and therefore it was cool for white people to buy his albums. what is his impact on hip hop? im being nice by saying he has 1 classic but y'all bugging saying he got 3 and arguably 4 classics. why? cuz u like a album doesnt make it a classic

Impact doesn't necessarily make an album classic. Can it help? Absolutely. Reasonable Doubt had little to no impact on the game but try to tell a fan that it isn't classic and he simply won't agree with you at all.
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all comes down to preference, for example i like american gangster more than reasonable doubt, seems crazy to some people but thats my preference.
  • semi-auto-mato
    Stew wrote: »

Impact doesn't necessarily make an album classic. Can it help? Absolutely. Reasonable Doubt had little to no impact on the game but try to tell a fan that it isn't classic and he simply won't agree with you at all.

agree with you and i just used impact to fit my example of illmatic. there are plenty of things that goes into making a classic album. im trying to figure out how em has 3 or 4 classics here using any realistic criteria for a classic album.

on a side note i will respectfully disagree with you on the impact of rd. rd helped to raise the bar of mafioso rap. ? had to get out the kitchen
  • Stew

agree with you and i just used impact to fit my example of illmatic. there are plenty of things that goes into making a classic album. im trying to figure out how em has 3 or 4 classics here using any realistic criteria for a classic album.

on a side note i will respectfully disagree with you on the impact of rd. rd helped to raise the bar of mafioso rap. ? had to get out the kitchen

Mafioso rap? lol ok
  • GetoBoy

Impact my not always play a part in determining if an album is classic or not but when a rapper starts to get credit for 3-4 classics there has to be some short of impact in there somewhere or your just calling them a classic cuz you like it at that point
  • semi-auto-mato
    ay man i didnt coin the phrase lol
  • GunTown
    GunTown Members Posts: 3,489
    5 Grand wrote: »

That's because Eminem has more fans...or stans

Eminem has over 15 million followers on twitter

Jay Z has 3 million followers on twitter

That's why i say there is a difference between the IC and real world. in the real world Eminem is an icon and the most popular artist worldwide

On the IC he hated

On the IC Jay Z is loved by he hasn't sold even half as much as Eminem and 2pac have

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now we talking about twitter followers?
  • GunTown

He probably would seeing as how the ppl who would vote for him on Twitter are probably the same ones wondering why the uproar over macklemore winning hip hop album of the year.... But anybody that knows even the SLIGHT bit of hip hop would AT WORSE which I wouldnt even agree with that, but at worse would call it a tie....nobody in they right mind but stan himself would call it em 4 jay none....well besides you too I guess

U can't turn it to a race argument because white people and believe me on this i'm talking skin head redneck type whites even racist whites who are Football fans will acknowledge Pele is the greatest Footballer ever or 1 of the best ever

With Eminem atleast on the IC his race causes people to have some kinda envy to him

With twitter it is the most popular social network outlet ever it's closer to the real worklld than anything else on the internet

U also can't turn it into a race issue because on twitter there is countless blacks who make countless tweets saying his music is the best ever or they think 1 of his albums is the best hip hop album ever or his songs are their fave etc

I can show u links to countless blacks tweeting all this

I can also show u tweets of blacks tweeting that they feel Jay Z's music is wack

• GunTown
    JerfyT wrote: »
    Eminem Show is better than MMLP

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so black album is average....

ok i heard enough @stew lock this troll ass thread
  • Stew
    so black album is average....

ok i heard enough @stew lock this troll ass thread

lol Imma give it a few more min. We got twitter and race issues heating up. What could possibly be next.....
  • GetoBoy
    edited January 2014

U can't turn it to a race argument because white people and believe me on this i'm talking skin head redneck type whites even racist whites who are Football fans will acknowledge Pele is the greatest Footballer ever or 1 of the best ever

With Eminem atleast on the IC his race causes people to have some kinda envy to him

With twitter it is the most popular social network outlet ever it's closer to the real worklld than anything else on the internet

U also can't turn it into a race issue because on twitter there is countless blacks who make countless tweets saying his music is the best ever or they think 1 of his albums is the best hip hop album ever or his songs are their fave etc

I can show u links to countless blacks tweeting all this

I can also show u tweets of blacks tweeting that they feel Jay Z's music is wack

I'm not making it about race I'm making it about knowledge of hip hop speaking on classic is like speaking on Grammy's it should be bigger then just who your knowledgeable of but more of a multitude of things.

If you ask most Eminem fans in the "real world" to spit a jay line not from a single they couldnt tell you one but they can spit every lyric em ever spoke so how can I take that persons word on who has more classic.

That's why mack and em win they awards now cuz its more of a popularity contest in the "real world" rather then judging based on the music where as in hip hop forums more often then not cuz I wouldn't say always, its about the music and if we're gong on the music then it's jay by a landslide but if this were a popularity contest question then you right em would win.
  • GunTown
    edited January 2014

Impact my not always play a part in determining if an album is classic or not but when a rapper starts to get credit for 3-4 classics there has to be some short of impact in there somewhere or your just calling them a classic cuz you like it at that point

But lets look at impact overall

Em has 3 diamond albums with TES, MMLP, Recovery

Those albums won Grammy awards

MMLP and TES hold the record for highest first week sales in hip hop history

His albums have been praised by numerous rappers

Almost all the singles from his albums charted in the top 10, top 20 on the hot 100 billboard while some singles charted number 1. So he has more hits than any other rapper

Those albums won numerous other awards like B.E.T. awards, soul train awards, source awards, MTV awards etc

Some of his peers have said some of his albums like The Eminem Show, The Marshall Mathers Lp, The Slim Shady LP are their fave album ever

Where as Jay Z doesn't have a diamond album or hold a record for first week sales

• semi-auto-mato

But lets look at impact overall

Em has 3 diamond albums with TES, MMLP, Recovery

Those albums won Grammy awards

MMLP and TES hold the record for highest first week sales in hip hop history

His albums have been praised by numerous rappers

Almost all the singles from his albums charted in the top 10, top 20 on the hot 100 billboard while some singles charted number 1. So he has more hits than any other rapper

Those albums won numerous other awards like B.E.T. awards, soul train awards, source awards, MTV awards etc

Some of his peers have said some of his albums like The Eminem Show, The Marshall Mathers Lp, The Slim Shady LP are their fave album ever

ok so when will u start talking about the impact?

• Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? need to ? w/ this Reasonable Doubt and Blueprint hate

Still mad that Black Album gets a pass for that suspect production imho. Neptunes, DJ Quik, and Eminem's beats was certified trash. There's a reason there were so many remixes.

Just Blaze version of Allure >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Danger Mouse version of Moment of Clarity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This discussion has been closed.