Are we being worked? Is this the "Reality Era"?

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
My thoughts in the current events in the WWE.

The big news isn't about Batista, it's about CM Punk "leaving" the WWE.

Now, this has caught the eye of TMZ. Wrestlers are chiming in on social media.

? Foley ranted, Bully Ray challenged Punk to come back and face him, Stone Cold talked about it and Ryback jokingly stated he has dibs on Punks finishers.

Word got out that Punk was upset with his direction and the direction of other superstars and the company as a whole.

Word got out that Vince loves Punk and wants him to come back, but it's up to Punk.

HHH states he doesn't think Punk should come back because what he did was disrespectful.

Reality.

There's no hiding backstage heat, so instead of hiding it, they're being open about it. They know it will garner a lot of attention.

Personally, I think this is a work, now. After reading so much on Punk and his departure, it doesn't seem to add up that Vince would be okay with this.

I think this is setting up to be the "fallout" of Vince's WWE and the rise of HHH's Authority WWE angle.

Vince is no longer in "control", Triple H has turned this into a show of all his buddies. Do you think this would actually happen? Because, I don't. I think we are involved in one big ass storyline that's slowly developing.

Vince has said he "loves" Bryan.

HHH on the other hand has said he thinks Bryan "is not good for business".

Do you think we are being played? Is this one big power struggle storyline playing out in reality?

The WWE has gone "reality" with Total Divas, with the show going on in and out of the WWE.

They push Twitter, Tout and their App.

With the Network around the corner, is this a ploy to push that? To help more buys?

Triple H said that this year is going to be big, we will see things we've never seen.

Cena tweeted after Punks departure, saying we are in for one hell of a ride.

I think we are seeing a Vince vs HHH setup for Survivor Series.

I think Punk will come back at WM or around that time.

Vince is saying he likes Punk and Bryan, so they will def be on his team.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• VIBE
    Options
    Now, I know you guys will say, "but the writers.."

I think the main idea of all this is the brain work of Vince, Trips, Punk, Heyman, Steph etc but not so much from the writers.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    We'll see cuz the fans hated it when Russo did this with any company not named WWE. But i do agree with you on the whole "Reality" thing. It's still the PG era to me overall cuz you can't even say your "ass" GONNA CALLLLLLLL SOMEBOOOOOOOOOOOODY!... ? .
  • VIBE
    Options
    I just think, for as big as a company the WWE is, there's no way this is all legit.

The fans want DB and boo their other guys, main event guys; their faces of the WWE.

That has to be on purpose.

Then Punk leaves?

No way all this ? adds up to be real. Vince would've never have let it got this far without doing it purposely for a storyline.

I could be in a state of wishful thinking, but I just don't think this ? is adding up because we know how Vince is.

Trust and believe, if he didn't want DB reactions, he would've buried him a long time ago.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i still think its real and maybe they will try to make it look like a work in the middle

but if i see that this was a work from the start, i will have a whole new respect for vince and staff or creative, because...well its kinda creative.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only thing I'm looking for is "we wish CM Punk the best in all his future endeavors" until then it's either he on vacation or we being worked.

As far as the "reality era"..,ehh I dislike the term but I don't mind WWE using social media to work fans. As long as it doesn't create constant confusion like those out of control aforementioned Russo stories.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    LMAO no matter how much you want it to be not everything is a work. Creative really is not sharp enough. The CM Punk thing is very real and has been slowly bubbling for months now if you've been paying attention to Meltzer's backstage reports for the past few months.

Now if they come to an agreement sure I see them working it into kayfabe. Same way they worked the Sunday controversy into kayfabe with the Raw rewrites. But that's just damage control for the WWE to seem more genius and in control then they actually are. It doesn't mean none of it wasn't actually genuine.
  • VIBE
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    LMAO no matter how much you want it to be not everything is a work. Creative really is not sharp enough. The CM Punk thing is very real and has been slowly bubbling for months now if you've been paying attention to Meltzer's backstage reports for the past few months.

Now if they come to an agreement sure I see them working it into kayfabe. Same way they worked the Sunday controversy into kayfabe with the Raw rewrites. But that's just damage control for the WWE to seem more genius and in control then they actually are. It doesn't mean none of it wasn't actually genuine.

I think this is pretty similar to when Punk threatened to leave with the title after he won it at MITB.

He was wanting to leave before then, dropped his big promo and shook up ? .

I think that angle might be taking place right now.

Whether or not they're trying to save face doesn't matter, because I don't see the WWE really falling apart like that right now.

Two of Vince's guys that he currently likes Punk and Bryan, whom are "hated" by HHH, were scheduled to face him at WM?

First Punk, now it's DB?

I just gotta say, it's interesting how this is all playing out.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'll put it to you this way if these weren't monkey wrenches being thrown into their longterm plan they wouldn't have spent today as well as tomorrow having day long creative meetings right now. Seems to me like their previous road to wrestlemania plans have gone to ? and they're now restructuring the booking and improvising due to all these spontaneous events. Not necessarily a bad thing. They could actually show some effort and hopefully put out a better product now.
  • VIBE
    Options
    I get what you're saying, but I think they've had this planned but now have to rewrite everything to fit in now instead of it happening later.

Remember, word got our that this "power struggle" ? was coming, but we thought It would happen last year.

I'm thinking since the crowd is so heavily behind Bryan, they're rushing to rearrange it to fit the now.
  • VIBE
    Options
    I'm amped on this energy drink.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    if all this is a work, what's the payoff......a big pop?

Or is this a cheap tactic to get the media and lost fans to pay attention to the Road to WrestleMania?
  • VIBE
    Options
    What is ever a payoff?

It's never done anything extraordinary for them.

It's just a storyline.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Well, the reality of it all is, that wrestlers get tired, for their own reasons, and leave; either legit or leave of absence if they have the clout to do so upon approval.

We've seen plenty dudes leave over the years; some even at the top of their popularity and some because the fans liked them, but management didn't.

Christian left for NWA:TNA because creative wasn't doing anything with him, told him to get himself over, he did with the Captain Charisma gimmick, and they still didn't push him. He left, quietly, went to NWA:TNA, was over with their crowds, won the title, WWE lured him back with the promise of a push, which was perfect timing because Kurt Angle (who was ? about his character's direction, and failing numerous drug tests) went to TNA, took his spot, and it was deja vu all over again with him. He left for the greener pastures of WWE, even though they haven't done a damn thing with him storyline-wise since he's been back. He's just collecting a check.

Countless others have left WWE because of character development issues, but to make it a storyline for the sake of WHAT? Storyline? The "Reality Era" is going to be real short if they do this for everyone who has an issue with either management or another wrestler. If this is a storyline, and if Punk is in on it, just as we thought he was when he dropped his first pipebomb, which was a shoot, then the company turned that into a shoot/work/storyline; then it's cheap.

For years we've seen issues in the back be brought onto the stage. Remember the Matt/Lita/Edge love triangle, real ? , turned into a storyline? Go back to Jake Roberts and his drinking issues, with Jerry Lawler exploiting it on the air by pour liquor in Jake's mouth. So on and so fourth. Wrestling has always showcased some sort of reality into their scripts. So to say this Punk issue is a storyline may be just that because he hasn't been issued his endeavors statement, and he has 6 months left on his contract, so why let him go now, when they can milk the press for more 'Mania exposure?

If he pops out of the crowd at any point during the Road to WrestleMania, it'll only be for the pop and the media coverage. It's not going to advance Punk any higher than he's already been. He's already popular and he's been the champion, so what more does he want.....to book his own character?
  • VIBE
    Options
    Lotta people are staying he's actually done for good.

We will see come July.