Complex magazine "How illmatic ruined hip hop"

13»

Comments

• nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is actually a very true article with a sensationalistic title
    illmatic could be seen as the first album where producers started thinking they were more important than the artist
  • nycest_1
    Someone made a gd point that they gave no examples of a bad album with multi producers

you missed the point. the point was that after this albums became a formula.
    that "gotta have a kanye" mentality means albums lost individual artists sounds
    instead the game became a series of plug n play artists on a rotation of beats from whoever the "it" producer is with the "it" r&b singer and featuring the "it" rappers of the moment
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    illmatic could be seen as the first album where producers started thinking they were more important than the artist
    I think the bold started around the early 00's.
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These ? contradict themselves in the first paragraph
  • FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677
    edited February 2014
    Did illmatic really start this trend though?
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GunTown wrote: »
    It's Nas best album and is a classic only because of it's influence on technical lyricisim and complex technical rhyming

But musically i have always found it boring and bland i don't enjoy the album at all musically it doesn't have replay value for me so i do agree with what they are saying

That's pretty much how i feel about all of Nas music, he can rap and is technically a sound rappr but i find his music boring and unappealing i respect he can spit but i feel his music is not good and is dull

you are easily becoming one the worst posters on this board by far
  • FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677
    GunTown wrote: »
    It's Nas best album and is a classic only because of it's influence on technical lyricisim and complex technical rhyming

But musically i have always found it boring and bland i don't enjoy the album at all musically it doesn't have replay value for me so i do agree with what they are saying

That's pretty much how i feel about all of Nas music, he can rap and is technically a sound rappr but i find his music boring and unappealing i respect he can spit but i feel his music is not good and is dull

you are easily becoming one the worst posters on this board by far

fixed for accuracy
  • nycest_1
    5th Letter wrote: »
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    I think the bold started around the early 00's.
    pre 00s neptunes were getting shout outs on beats.
    swizz said his name on all the ruff ryder hits (keep in mind this is around the early 00s so its not contradicting your statement in any way)
    but prior to the producer name shout out the mid 90s had the producer for hire ? working
    premo was on everyones ? mid 90s giving that gangstar sound out
    diddy had his team locked but they started leaking out.
    but by the end of the 90s it was mos def the producers getting features like the artists
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate how they clearly made that headline for shock value smh

But i must begrudgingly admit...they are right in the point they're making

Look no further than Jay z, who seems to be intent on doing ? the hard way.

BP-Kanye, Jus, Bink...RD-Ski, Jaz, American gangster-Hit Men

vs the scattered ? like BP2, KC, etc

And that intensifies with LESSER artists.

Since i think we can agree artists these days arent as good as before, they would all atleast sound better w/ production tht caters to their skill set. I.e. Dip Set and Heatmakerz
  • Ol' Fred
    Ol' Fred Members Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    complex stupid ? alwayz got ol' fred lookin like:
    bunb.gif
  • SnuffDaddy
    SnuffDaddy Members Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    S2J wrote: »
    I hate how they clearly made that headline for shock value smh

But i must begrudgingly admit...they are right in the point they're making

Look no further than Jay z, who seems to be intent on doing ? the hard way.

BP-Kanye, Jus, Bink...RD-Ski, Jaz, American gangster-Hit Men

vs the scattered ? like BP2, KC, etc

And that intensifies with LESSER artists.

Since i think we can agree artists these days arent as good as before, they would all atleast sound better w/ production tht caters to their skill set. I.e. Dip Set and Heatmakerz

@ bolded, i already knew that before even reading.

As far as your Jay-Z reference....ehh.

Blueprint only had 4 out of the 13 songs (5 if you count 1 of the bonus songs) ? . by Kanye.

Ski only had 4 out of the 14 produced songs.

So Jay-Z been on that wagon, even if it was after Illmatic.

• SnuffDaddy
    SnuffDaddy Members Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    But Ruff Ryders along with Bad Boy etc. kinda brought that old school flavor back, no?

I mean Swizz produced practically the whole "Flesh Of My Fleshh", "We Are The Streets", "Ryde Or Die Vol. 1" as well as Drag-On & Eve's debut joint.

But for some reason it wasnt a "trend" that stuck, even with the success. That 1 producer ? can get really real bad if its bad tho & i think thats the worry. Cuz that was one thing that was bad about some of them Ruff Ryders joint. Swizz made some simple beats that worked sometimes but alot of the times didnt work (esp. on Drag-On's joint as well as some songs on Eve's first joint).

Cuz IMO it worked perfectly on an album like "The War Report" (CNN).

Should've continued to let Grease & Gotti only produced full X albums since he had a Ruff Ryders management deal.

See if already have a in-house producer then it's cool cuz you got chemistry & both know each other as artists. Thing is most artists dont come up with producers. Its really no team thing at all either. So it's easier said than done.

Cuz Havoc can produce for Prodigy since they're a group and know each other and came up with each other. But it's harder for a solo act to just find 1 producer to do a whole joint with.

Building with producers, finding chemistry & reports take a looong while, soo..