Samuel L Jackson: Hollywood Avoids Real Issues of Racism

Options
desertrain10
desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Samuel L Jackson: Hollywood Avoids Real Issues of Racism
By AARON AKINYEMI | February 1, 2014 18:03 PM GMT

Actor Samuel L Jackson has said that the popularity of Oscar-nominated film 12 Years A Slave brushes over the racism still prevalent in Hollywood and contemporary American culture.

Jackson said the widely acclaimed film, which stars British-Nigerian actor Chiwetel Ejiofor, misses the point that Hollywood avoids the "real issues" of racism in modern US society.

Speaking to The Times, the actor said 12 Years A Slave only received funding because it was made by the British art house director Steve McQueen.

"I would think that if an African-American director went into a studio and pitched that particular film, they would be like: 'No, no, no'.

“America is much more willing to acknowledge what happened in the past”
Samuel L Jackson
"It is a film about African-Americans – a dark period of history that they don't like to explore in that particular way."

He added: "Look, I'm glad 12 Years got made and it's wonderful that people are seeing it and there is another view of what happened in America. But I'm not real sure why Steve McQueen wanted to tackle that particular sort of thing."

Jackson, whose films have earned a massive $9bn at the box office over his successful 40-year career, said he still faces racial discrimination in the film industry on a daily basis.

The actor pointed out that the 2013 US drama film Fruitvale Station tackles the issue of race in a far more forthright and braver way that 12 Years A Slave.

Fruitvale Station is based on the events that led to the death of Oscar Grant, a young African-American man who was killed by a police officer in 2009.

"It explains things like the shooting of Trayvon Martin, the problems with stop and search, and is just more poignant," Jackson said.

"America is much more willing to acknowledge what happened in the past: 'We freed the slaves! It's all good!' But to say: 'We are still unnecessarily killing black men' – let's have a conversation about that."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/samuel-l-jackson-hollywood-avoids-real-issues-racism-1434772

Comments

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    He added: "Look, I'm glad 12 Years got made and it's wonderful that people are seeing it and there is another view of what happened in America. But I'm not real sure why Steve McQueen wanted to tackle that particular sort of thing."

coleman_wtf.gif
  • desertrain10
    edited February 2014
    Options
    thought it was an interesting read....short, but interesting nonetheless ...

especially because jackson just starred in django unchained ....and i know how the ic loves to talk about race...

any thoughts?

in addition to racism in modern day times, what other issues would you like hollywood, film to examine in the future?

• FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677
    Options
    Police brutality
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hollywood has yall brainwashed into believing that if ? is said enough time then it authenticates actually slave times.

just for it to open more doors to say ?
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Hollywood also has a problem with black excellence in history that doesn't involve slavery or jim crow

There has never been a movie that depicts the ancient black civilizations in a good light whatsoever.

Unless they were recast as Europeans.

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all peep this
    http://www.change.org/petitions/danish-actor-to-play-egyptian-? -ra-stop-artistic-team-behind-the-gods-of-egypt-from-holding-an-all-white-cast
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Excellent thread.

Everything Mr. Jackson and most of the people pointed out already is so truthful. I do think a big reason that movies and television shows about modern day injustice towards minorities rarely get any backing is because of the simple fact that these companies think it will not make any money.

Like @jono pointed out a decent amount of people including some misguided minorities believe that racism is a figment of minorities imagination. Not to mention how many caucasians do you know will actually go watch a film putting a mirror in front of them showing that their thinking is flawed and the way they look at the world is only one way of seeing it? Most people don't want to believe or see the truth if it involves making them see how ugly they and people of their ilk truly are
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White people need to not exist
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What about a nat turner movie?
  • Gucci Scott King
    Gucci Scott King Members Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »

Will never happen.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When it comes to black movies or anything dealing with our kind, its up to us to support it not whites.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But he would rather ? in Django Unchained

Whatever ?

A valid point is made here...
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But he would rather ? in Django Unchained

Whatever ?

What point is that exactly? Sam is not able to talk about the racism in Hollywood unless every role he plays is a strong and positive image?
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Allergens wrote: »
    then build a film studio with other wealthy black actors and tell the story

"I would think that if an African-American director went into a studio and pitched that particular film, they would be like: 'No, no, no'.

He needs to spend millions to keep it 100? Smh.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

It's not that simple. You can make the studio, but can you market the movies and will they be successful? George Lucas already spoke on it. He said that making good movies that show more of the history and truth for blacks and other minorities isn't hard because no one wants to tell those stories. It's hard because they believe they can't sell those stories to the general movie going public which is mostly white in this country and don't give a ? about the real truth of the history of minorities.
  • desertrain10
    Options
    But he would rather ? in Djanspaghettiained

Whatever ?

What point is that exactly? Sam is not able to talk about the racism in Hollywood unless every role he plays is a strong and positive image?

He kind of contradicted himself

Instead of petitioning for qt to make a movie that examines contemporary america and race, he not only stars but defends qts right to make a spahetti western set in the antebellum south

Not only that sam jack is one of the most successful, wealthiest blk actors doing it today...why doesn't he produce movies, form a production company...tyler perry did it with little name recogntion
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »

Will never happen.

Unless its done independently.

Only way it'll be a major film is if a white director does it....and of course, they'll put their own twist to it, like Nat was possessed by the devil or some dumb ? ...
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S. Jackson is right.

We need a new Spike Lee that make movied about things that still going on in America.

I wish i saw a movie about segreagation driven black self hate.

I want to see a real movie about that police brutality.

I want to see a movie about skin bleaching.

In a nutshell I WANT MORE. If Hollywood has the nerve to make movies about ? , then lets go deeper into Black America.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options

You Aint got the answers SWAY!

see the parallel?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Since when was QT, Spike Lee. Everybody got their own lane. Nothing that QT has ever done suggests he's capable of making or producing the kinda film you're suggesting.

And Tyler Perry has gotten rich off of producing the fluffy ? that the masses eat up. Doing the same thing with real historical movies isn't as easy. Tell me, which has sold more ringtone rap or conscious rap. Who's more famous Drake or Dead Prez?
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sam Jackson always speaks the real