Samuel L Jackson: Hollywood Avoids Real Issues of Racism

Comments

• marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    But he would rather ? in Django Unchained

Whatever ?

Yet he has done other roles where he played strong black man. its called range. WTF u talkin bout.

and dont act like there weren't ? house ? that acted like the one he played in Django. cant avoid history

• 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see someone tackle the issue of racism in Hollywood, and mainstream media. Make a movie about that. Be direct
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like how ppl say "there were characters like Uncle Ruckus in history"...
    What historical literature suggest this? Were there cases of Stockholm syndrome? Perhaps
    where are these historical narratives describing the full ? characters like Steven, Uncle Ruckus?
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1of1 wrote: »
    I'd like to see someone tackle the issue of racism in Hollywood, and mainstream media. Make a movie about that. Be direct

27060-b-bamboozled.jpg

• desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since when was QT, Spike Lee. Everybody got their own lane. Nothing that QT has ever done suggests he's capable of making or producing the kinda film you're suggesting.

And Tyler Perry has gotten rich off of producing the fluffy ? that the masses eat up. Doing the same thing with real historical movies isn't as easy. Tell me, which has sold more ringtone rap or conscious rap. Who's more famous Drake or Dead Prez?

Well you have a point if sam was just in it for the money

But if he sincerely wanted to make a movie that tackles race and inspire change he could do it... with his connects and pedigree Im sure with enough will power he could go the independent route and get it done...like a dead prez

And qt has his lane...but we're talking about how sam contradicted himself...by accepting his role in django he became apart of the problem of which hes now rallying against...I dunno made these last 2, 3 yrs his views have changed
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allergens wrote: »
    then build a film studio with other wealthy black actors and tell the story

It's not that simple. You can make the studio, but can you market the movies and will they be successful? George Lucas already spoke on it. He said that making good movies that show more of the history and truth for blacks and other minorities isn't hard because no one wants to tell those stories. It's hard because they believe they can't sell those stories to the general movie going public which is mostly white in this country and don't give a ? about the real truth of the history of minorities.

I can understand George Lucas having that excuse, this ? ain't his problem, and he can't relate to whats at stake.
    But black hollywood... they should be looking pass that.

Going with GL's logic, a black film staff won't do it because they can't make money off it. Given the state of things, and the fact that they know ? 's bad out here, for them to let money be an issue, when they are already millionaires 5 times over, continuing to go along with hollywoods ? , and they won't tell the truth cause it has no monetary value?

If the only thing stopping them is not benefiting financially, they are sell outs. If they are concerned with appeasing white folks after all this ? , they are ? . If they don't give a ? about staying true to their own roots and telling the truth, they are snakes.

So what if they don't make millions or the film isn't a worldwide blockbuster. This is just the right thing to do, cause it won't happen if we don't make it happen. ? the money, ? having price tags is part of the reason we're in this ? .
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allergens wrote: »
    then build a film studio with other wealthy black actors and tell the story

Mannnnnn ? with this ?
  • FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677

Whatever ?

A valid point is made here...

Debatable. Django wasn't intended to have much of a message as far as I can see. It was just a gory story, like all of Tarantino's work. 12 years a slave seems like it was trying to have a message, and sam is just criticizing the relevance that message has for the 21st century.

• BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marc123 wrote: »

Whatever ?

Yet he has done other roles where he played strong black man. its called range. WTF u talkin bout.

c/s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzVFugFcUto
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Good. Racists stay using Sam jack, will and denzel as their response to Hollywood not being racist.
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this movie should make blacks look at themselves and change their mental thinking
    hollywood mocked us for too long.now it's time for blacks to start making movies and shows that wont have us looking stupid.not all blacks live in the ghetto.not all of us kiss the ass of white people etc..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhnsaMLtQM8
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    What about a nat turner movie?

Ppl always say this but. ....... . He wasn't successful. U know that right?
  • BIGG WILL

Nat Turner's Rebellion was a slave rebellion that took place in Southampton County, Virginia, during August 1831 Led by Nat Turner, rebel slaves killed anywhere from 55 to 65 people, the highest number of fatalities caused by any slave uprising in the American South. The rebellion was put down within a few days, but Turner survived in hiding for more than two months afterwards

Harriet Tubman didn't free every slave. Was she not successful?
  • StillFaggyAF
    BIGG WILL wrote: »

Nat Turner's Rebellion was a slave rebellion that took place in Southampton County, Virginia, during August 1831 Led by Nat Turner, rebel slaves killed anywhere from 55 to 65 people, the highest number of fatalities caused by any slave uprising in the American South. The rebellion was put down within a few days, but Turner survived in hiding for more than two months afterwards

Whites then killed over 200 slaves and passed laws that made slaves lives worse.

And you're not gonna sit there and say harriet Tubman was unsuccessful cmon.

North America never had a successful slave rebellion anyway
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    what? You sure the author didn't change some words around and ? ? Cause this is the same dude on a interview for when he did Django Unchained, trying to get the interviewer to say ? . Now the flip flop...I'm moving along here.

And yall ? need to start putting this race ? in its proper forum...R and R. ? is getting mad old. This is all you can talk about? Feminism and racism? You have nothing else to offer to the community besides that? Or yall don't want to deal with janklow's ass??? lol
  • StillFaggyAF
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    what? You sure the author didn't change some words around and ? ? Cause this is the same dude on a interview for when he did Django Unchained, trying to get the interviewer to say ? . Now the flip flop...I'm moving along here.

And yall ? need to start putting this race ? in its proper forum...R and R. ? is getting mad old. This is all you can talk about? Feminism and racism? You have nothing else to offer to the community besides that? Or yall don't want to deal with janklow's ass??? lol

This thread is better than most of the stupid ? that gets posted in this supposedly grown subforum
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »

This thread is better than most of the stupid ? that gets posted in this supposedly grown subforum

To me it isn't. It's the same thing. Over and over again. ? needs to start going to R and R. I'm come into the GNS to talk about other ? . It was cool in the beginning but its old now. Take it to the R and R. ? have no creative ideas for threads no more so they look for these topics.

But let it be about some black kids excelling or doing some revolutionary ? ...no one checks that thread.
  • BIGG WILL

Whites then killed over 200 slaves and passed laws that made slaves lives worse.

And you're not gonna sit there and say harriet Tubman was unsuccessful cmon.

North America never had a successful slave rebellion anyway

Whites were going to ? and make ? worse for Black People anyway. That's just how the Oppressor works. Same ? Happened with the Black Panther Party. Laws and ? were changed and in many cases Black People were killed simply because Black people were standing up to themselves.

You clearly missed the point about Tubman. In the entire scope of things, Nat Turner was not going have a successful rebellion, by killing every single white person, or even every slave master in the South, in the same way we would never judge Tubmans success on the fact that she did not free every single slave.

• StillFaggyAF
    So nat turner was successful because he killed a bunch of white people?
  • BIGG WILL

You made the 1st claim that he wasn't successful. So, in your mind, what would have made his slave rebellion a success?

• StillFaggyAF

You made the 1st claim that he wasn't successful. So, in your mind, what would have made his slave rebellion a success?

See Gasper Yanga, the Haiti an Revolution and Jamaican Maroon Wars
  • BIGG WILL

See Gasper Yanga, the Haiti an Revolution and Jamaican Maroon Wars

If you actually know about Yanga then you know that, that was a completely different situation than what we were dealing with in the American South.

Haiti is only 10,715 sq miles. For comparison, just 1 state in FLorida is 65,755 sq miles. Thats 6 times bigger and I am not including the entire south. Again, two completely different situations. Or did you expect Turner and his band of slaves to overthrow all of the south? (I already made mention of this earlier in the thread)

As far as the Maroon Wars are concerned, Jamaica is not even half the size of Haiti and again a completely different situation Turners.

Now, if Turner could have broken away with a bunch of other Slaves in some far off mountainous area and live separately by themselves for 20-30 years and only had 10k sq miles to deal then yea, I could see your point. But like I said earlier, when you take the entire scope of the situation comparing this to that is completely different.

• StillFaggyAF
    So you are saying Nat Turner was successful?
  • BIGG WILL

Am I?

• StillFaggyAF

Am I?

So not your going to post nonsense because you can't disprove or produce an argument. Good for you bruh bruh