GA-Weed will be legalized in next couple of weeks?

Options
2»

Comments

• Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    Obama issues guidelines for banks on funds from legal marijuana sales

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/politicsnow/la-pn-obama-guidelines-banks-marijuana-20140214,0,5097534.story#ixzz2tOVQO4IU
    WASHINGTON — The Obama administration issued guidance to prosecutors and banks Friday meant to make it easier for legal marijuana sellers to open bank accounts.

But the guidance fell short of giving banks carte blanche to get involved in a business that is legal in some states for medical or recreational purposes but is still illegal under federal law.

A memo issued Friday by Atty. Gen. Eric H. Holder Jr. to all federal prosecutors said that prosecution may not be appropriate for banks dealing with marijuana sellers if they are operating legally in their states and stay away from red zones, such as the sale of the drug to minors or across state lines. The banks must also follow new Treasury Department procedures.

Although President Obama and Holder have indicated they have no desire to be tough on ? , the cautious move Friday reflects a reluctance to go too far because of solid opposition to marijuana legalization within the ranks of law enforcement.

Several weeks ago DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart, in what she thought was a private meeting with sheriffs, was highly critical of recent comments about marijuana by Obama and of the trend toward legalization generally.

Officials who were close to the decision announced Friday but not authorized to speak publicly said that unless Congress acts to change federal law it is unlikely the Obama administration would go further.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/politicsnow/la-pn-obama-guidelines-banks-marijuana-20140214,0,5097534.story#ixzz2tOVagFxf

Baby steps?

the biggest cash cow of this decade will be the legalization and taxation of Marijuana if Obama wants to hop on that wave and rebound the economy in part this will be where he jumps in and takes credit in history...

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    I was speaking more on the initial outings. Also Ron Paul is an outlier because he always goes against the Republican big tent and at one point was probably the only Republican vocally in support of marijuana legalization. I sure there were others but not on his level and not pushing legislation in states. I'm sure it's cool to be down now, or getting cooler now that the revenue gains are obvious.
    i think we're still at the point where a guy or two from either party will float stuff, and the average politician will weigh his options and decide, "eh, not worth it." but i am not an optimist.

either way, if there's one thing we've seen from this administration (as opposed to specific legislators), it's that they're not nearly as brave on some issues as we might have expected in 2008.