Guyana and Haiti Expected to Lead Caribbean Economic Growth in 2014

DMTxTHC
DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/22/guyana-haiti-expected-lead-caribbean-economic-growth-2014/

growth-chart-caribbean-1.jpg

Guyana and Haiti are expected to lead in economic growth among countries in Latin America and the Caribbean, according to the recently released United Nations’ annual World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) report.
Both Caribbean Community (CARICOM) countries are projected to have economic growth of 4.5 percent this year, followed by CARICOM member states Trinidad and Tobago with 2.5 percent, Jamaica with 1.2 percent and Barbados with 1 percent growth.
Last year, Guyana had economic growth of 4.6 percent while Haiti’s growth was estimated at 3.5 percent.
“Overall in the Caribbean region, growth is projected at 3.3 percent for this year. Last year, growth for the Caribbean region was estimated at 2.4 percent in 2013, slightly slower than in the last two years.”
The report notes that Latin America and the Caribbean are expected to hasten their growth to 3.6 percent and 4.1 percent respectively in the next couple of years, up from 2.6 percent in 2013.
The WESP report attributes the positive growth in 2014-2015 to sound macroeconomic policies, resilient domestic demand and the gradual recovery in developed economies.
However, it warns that economic growth remains subject to growth in other economies, mainly the Euro area, the United States and China, which is now growing at a slower pace than in previous years.
In 2013, although the region experienced growth, economic expansion was uneven.
South America led with 3.2 percent growth in gross domestic product (GDP) in 2013, up from 2.5 percent in 2012, due to a rebound in Argentina and Brazil.
By contrast, in Mexico and Central America, economic activity is estimated to have slowed to 1.5 percent in 2013 from 4 percent in 2012, in part because the Mexican economy has faced structural constraints and GDP growth decelerated significantly to only 1.2 percent.
WESP is produced at the beginning of each year by the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development and the five United Nations regional commissions.
A report by the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean last December puts Guyana’s economic growth close to WESP’s projections of 4.6 percent in 2014.

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    oil in the gulf
    gold and minerals in haiti
    DR supporting getting the blacks out and shipped back to haiti...
    port au prince has deepest port
    foundation of haiti shaken to ruble with nothing left over but to rebuild.

i would not be surprised if another "earthquake" hits to finish up the job

its the perfect situation for money hungry people.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's wassup. I for any of my other (black)Caribbean nations stepping up and getting ? done.

Meanwhile in Jamaica, we'll prolly be leading the region in violent crimes at home and abroad, again.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gns wrote: »
    That's wassup. I for any of my other (black)Caribbean nations stepping up and getting ? done.

Meanwhile in Jamaica, we'll prolly be leading the region in violent crimes at home and abroad, again.

my dude....the blacks/ caribs aint gonna be the majority in this case.

think about it.......since the earthquake the debt to france/IMF has been forgiven people have been coming back to the island ....but those people aint haitians.

they coming back to buy up cheap ass land.

this ? aint just happen like that.

all this time this country has been poor and now they wanna forgive the debt? if they was poor then the debt should have already been forgiven because poor people dont have an infrastructure to fall from an earthquake. you need to have an economy to damage on order to say...your economy is damaged so we forgive your debt.

Wyclef aint stupid...he aint worried about Haiti...he knew the money was coming and wanted to get in on the ground floor to establish his foothold
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

nah, i think trinidad finally beat us in that department.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THATS RIGHT GUYANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ? ? ? ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »

this is something I am not proud of in regards to Trinidad.

drugs and police/government corruption is killing Trinidad.

What is driving this economic growth in Guyana and Haiti?

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a half Haitian American I'm really happy to see this news, it makes sense, if you reach rock bottom you can only go up
  • kingblaze84
    MzKB wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »

this is something I am not proud of in regards to Trinidad.

drugs and police/government corruption is killing Trinidad.

What is driving this economic growth in Guyana and Haiti?

I wonder the same, for Haiti probably tourism and construction, I have family here buying land in Haiti to build houses and schools
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kingblaze84

What percentage of Haiti was destroyed by the earthquake?

Looking at it through the media's eyes they make it seem to be the entire country
  • kingblaze84
    @kingblaze84

What percentage of Haiti was destroyed by the earthquake?

Looking at it through the media's eyes they make it seem to be the entire country

I'm not sure to be honest, but I believe 50% of the capital was destroyed. The presidential palace was destroyed. Most of the outer country was effected because the capital has resources many cities relied on time to time but not nearly as hard hit as the capital.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GOAT I'm half Guyanese, most of my family is still over there
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    i think part of that was the concept that what WAS destroyed decimated government services, which in turn put even non-damaged areas of Haiti in a bad way
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was actually watching the DR/Haiti episode of Black in Latin America this Saturday. It's crazy how the U.S. and Europe ? Haiti over, and then they have the nerves to look down on the country and it's people now.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xxCivicxx wrote: »

? boo me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xxCivicxx wrote: »

i bet you live in Queens lol
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭