Florida woman living 'off grid' told to 'plug in', city caps her sewer

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
A Florida woman is fighting to continue her "off the grid" lifestyle despite the city's attempts to make her plug in.

Robin Speronis has been living in a Cape Coral home without running water or city electricity for close to two years, NBC-2 reports. She does this by using solar panels and filtering rain water. This way, she never has to pay a city electric or water bill.

On Thursday the city determined that she was guilty of not being hooked up to an approved water supply and would need to start using city water within a month or face consequences, a ruling Speronis and her attorney plan to fight.
City caps sewer of Florida woman living off the grid

A Florida woman who's in a legal battle with the city of Cape Coral over her off-the-grid lifestyle had her sewer capped Monday by officials who cited thousands of dollars in unpaid bills, WFTX is reporting.

Robin Speronis' home uses only solar-powered electricity and she filters rain water to use for her toilet and shower. In a code enforcement hearing last week, the city found her not guilty of refusing to use the city sewer, not guilty of violating codes related to her use of solar energy and guilty of not using an approved water supply.

Speronis told WFTX that she thinks the city is "pure evil" for capping her sewer and her attorney said he wishes the city would have found another way to settle the unpaid bills.

Speronis has been living off the grid for nearly two years, but her legal problems with the city only began about three months ago when WFTX highlighted her lifestyle in an on-air segment.

smh @ this ?

Comments

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Inb4 bugs bunny gif
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So I'm guessing this is her water bill and she not paying it because she doesn't use it. It's already cost her a lot in legal fees because she been in and out of court.

This is ? .
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, you can't even live off the land anymore...
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? happens wrote: »
    700 wrote: »
    [quote="? happens;6813504tyo dat ? prolly funky dena ?

Shawty trottin roun rotten dena muhfugga yuck

I ain't understand ? you typed

? you a dope fiend with internet access

Get the ? out my face boy[/quote]

you typing regular now, wat happened to the ghetto typing

cracka stop it
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? happens wrote: »
    Pooo dat ? prolly funky dena ?

Shawty trottin roun rotten dena muhfugga yuck

Anybody else read this ? like a Future verse?
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    An "approved" water supply?

So....so....i guess rain water is a bad thing right? I would have asked what are the qualifications for water being considered approved. Cuz im pretty sure its either:

1.) it has to come from the city. You gotta pay for any "natural" resources.

2.) Its too "pure" and doesn't go through the cities "filtration" process, so its unsafe. Which is basically code for "you gonna get ur daily dose of Fluoride and other poison we determined u need.

smh....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only thing she should have to pay is the sewer since she's using it like everyone else.

What the ? is an approved water source?
  • edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? about money,they don't want people to figure out another way.

Something like this become widespread then the people billing her would not be needed.

She's gettting her dose of injustice. She should just move,she must have saved a good amount of money.

Courts will try and ? her for it.
  • stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh @ her trolling off the grid then telling on herself. .
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "guilty of not using an approved water supply."

This right here sounds very fishy. Sorry I won't drink your fluoride water, I kind of like how my brain functions with out the mercury. When I go back to my grandmothers house in Mamou, la there is no approved water supply. The water is from the well and it's the softest damn water I've ever used. In this day and age, living off the grid is a science. Capping the sewer is laughable if that's the best they can do. As a final middle finger she should set up a grey water collection system and get a composting toilet. then sell manuals on true of the grid city living. they're going to hate me and my earth ship in a few years.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but she got a lawyer tho....
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    she doin unnecessary ? , i bet she's white. a gotdamn water bill for 1 person is not expensive at all
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The water & sewer are tied into one bill. She doesn't want to pay for flushing her ? away and/or doesn't want to pay the surcharges that come with the bill (even if she doesn't use the water)....... That goes for the electricity too. If she was generating enough electricity to spin her meter backwards, the company would owe her a check .....

'Bout time she invest in a compost toilet & move outside city limits where these rules that come with home ownership don't apply .....
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL Vibe just effortlessly ethered this whole board. His thread about a high school club got more attention than a thread that actually involved an adult in G&S. Remember that next time you're in a "deep discussion" on here. lol
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn I need the science on that lifestyle
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options