Who should comic book based movies cater to?

Options
2»

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The general audience. I'm not even a ? comic book guy like that but there are things that happen within comic book movies that make no sense, so I respect some of the criticisms the genre gets but for the most part only thing people care about is a decent story, cool effects and some good action, that's it.

People will go back to the books if the movie really resonates with them.

I remember seeing The Hunger Games in Barnes & Nobles bargain bins before the movies were made but since then it's gone back to full price. It happens with all sorts of stories so it shouldn't even be a big deal. The movie version of The Color Purple isn't even the same as the book, there were some changes made to the story to make it more appealing and that's alright.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    The general audience. I'm not even a ? comic book guy like that but there are things that happen within comic book movies that make no sense, so I respect some of the criticisms the genre gets but for the most part only thing people care about is a decent story, cool effects and some good action, that's it.

People will go back to the books if the movie really resonates with them.

I remember seeing The Hunger Games in Barnes & Nobles bargain bins before the movies were made but since then it's gone back to full price. It happens with all sorts of stories so it shouldn't even be a big deal. The movie version of The Color Purple isn't even the same as the book, there were some changes made to the story to make it more appealing and that's alright.

That's a really good point. A lot of comic book readers and "fanboys" get so bent out of shape when they see a character or story arc portrayed in a certain way on tv or the big screen when the fact is that there are so many writers with their own interpretations and re-imaginings of characters and events that make up a multi-verse where sometimes, ? doesn't make sense and somethings end up contradicting one another.

When making a film, I think these studios are getting better and better at chosing stories and characters that make the most since to the most number of people instead of weird or flatout BAD stories and characters that most people will hate or not give a damn about.
  • K_Fisher
    K_Fisher Members Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think if possible appeal to the general audience but at the same time stay true to the comic.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everybody They Wouldn't Get Made Any Other Way