Living Color
    Eddie
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Living Color
    ocelot wrote: »
    charles2 wrote: »
    Being someone who loved both, In Living Color was by far the better show. Chapelle was a one-trick pony show (centered around race). He did that one thing better than anyone else, but In Living Color was so well rounded and the cast was crazy talented. ILC paved the way for all black sketch comedy shows. Chapelle was edgy for it's time, but ILC was even edgier for its time. Just look up the controversy they caused with their Super Bowl Halftime show.

Out of his top 10 sketches I'll say 3 are about race

List your 10 and we'll see.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Living Color
    goldenja wrote: »
    Classic
    Season 1 Ep. 9
    http://youtu.be/SmY9CWIQGzo

"well if it isn't my lazy son Byron"

"the man from Trinidad and I tink I love he."

"hey mon time to land de plane!"
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    Living Color
    Remember that skit when the runaway slave raised generations in a cave. When the last living son came out it was the 90's and ran into another black dude. Slave's son was tripping over how other dude was acting towards white people. Other dude was like, you been in a cave all this time, things have changed. Then they dude gets his ass kicked by the cops. Slave's son was like, guess things haven't changed that much. Deep.

Funny part when he was like, stop eyeballing that white woman! Damon and David broke character and lost it. Must have been ad-libbed.

oh ? that face damon made when he heard the dogs coming classic!
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    ILC wins this simply based on the amount of talent that one show had. I mean think about. At one point Kenan Ivory Wayans, Jim Carrey, Tommy Davidson, Jaime Foxx, David Alan Grier, etc all worked together every week. The amount of comedic talent on that set was just unmatched. Chapelle show is funny w/o question but In Living Color is the better show
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    Living Color
    i voted inliving color but my favorite chapelle skits were the player haters, the mad real world, racist tv animals and wayne brady to name a few "oh ? it's wayne brady son!" "riverside muphuckas!"
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Living Color
    Classic
    Season 1 Ep. 9

that Americas funniest security camera videos with jim carey was funny as hell
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    Living Color
    Classic
    Season 1 Ep. 9

that Americas funniest security camera videos with jim carey was funny as hell

"merry Christmas mother" bleep bleep"
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chappelle's Show
    only b/c of the times....if you made this poll before chappelle show came out or just compared it to a different sketch comedy Living Color would win hands down...

but i was just watching Chappelle the other day...? i seen 20 times but still cracks me up
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chappelle's Show
    does wayne brady have to choke a ?
  • TheNightKing
    Options
    Living Color
    Remember Lassie '93? Instead of a Collie, it was a pit bull that was tearing arms, legs, and heads off of the mailman, bill collector, landlord, etc. They were trapped and Lassie went for help and brought back a severed arm.

I've never posted a vid, and i normally don't post enough to want to learn. Maybe I'll look into it now though.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Living Color
    Remember Lassie '93? Instead of a Collie, it was a pit bull that was tearing arms, legs, and heads off of the mailman, bill collector, landlord, etc. They were trapped and Lassie went for help and brought back a severed arm.

I've never posted a vid, and i normally don't post enough to want to learn. Maybe I'll look into it now though.

I was just watching one of them sketches yesterday.. it was lassie '90

I guess their was more than 1 sketch lol
  • TheNightKing
    Options
    Living Color

I was just watching one of them sketches yesterday.. it was lassie '90

I guess their was more than 1 sketch lol

Nah, that was the one. I had my year wrong.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being someone who loved both, In Living Color was by far the better show. Chapelle was a one-trick pony show (centered around race). He did that one thing better than anyone else, but In Living Color was so well rounded and the cast was crazy talented. ILC paved the way for all black sketch comedy shows. Chapelle was edgy for it's time, but ILC was even edgier for its time. Just look up the controversy they caused with their Super Bowl Halftime show.

Rick James
    Prince
    Mad Real World
    Wayne Brady
    Clayton Bigby
    Black Bush
    Race Draft
    ? on You
    Slow Motion
    Oprah

And many more...
  • ocelot
    Options
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Chappelle's Show
    4d6cb9b2fd51.gif/
    RickJames2.gif
    quoteables for days
  • TheNightKing
    Options
    Living Color

Rick James - Black Celebrity
    Prince - Black Celebrity
    Mad Real World - Black Stereotypes
    Wayne Brady - Black Stereotypes
    Clayton Bigby - Race Based
    Black Bush - Black Stereotypes
    Race Draft - Race Based
    ? on You - Black Celebrity
    Slow Motion - Black Stereotypes
    Oprah Black Celebrity

Not much he did that wasn't about us and/or race in general. 2 examples I can think of that weren't about race were the real life internet and real life Grand Theft Auto, but sketches like this were few and far between.
  • Heavy In The Game
    Heavy In The Game Members Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chappelle's Show
    both great, but I'm goin wit the Chappelle's Show
  • ocelot
    Options

Prince - Black Celebrity
    Race Draft - Race Based
    Oprah Black Celebrity

Not much he did that wasn't about us and/or race in general. 2 examples I can think of that weren't about race were the real life internet and real life Grand Theft Auto, but sketches like this were few and far between.

I could do the same with ILC... Chris Rock, and other sketches
  • TheNightKing
    Options
    Living Color

Prince - Black Celebrity
    Race Draft - Race Based
    Oprah Black Celebrity

I could do the same with ILC... Chris Rock, and other sketches

My original point was that CS was a one trick pony show centered around race, which you've conceded to.

ILC did have sketches around race, but not at such a high proportion as CS.

Either way, both great shows and even though we disagree, neither of our opinions are invalid.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man, what was the Blues Player's name, Like to hearithearitgo, ? used to have me in tears
  • TheNightKing
    Options
    Living Color
    Man, what was the Blues Player's name, Like to hearithearitgo, ? used to have me in tears

Someone mentioned it earlier, Calhoun Tubbs. Funniest one was when he was at the funeral shading everybody.
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options