Does Jay Z Have A "One Hot Album Every 10 Year Average"?

Comments

• nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    nex gin wrote: »
    ok i cant...i just cant...the ? said u can ONLY consider like 3 or 4 of them classics like thats a bad thing lmao like ? phuckas is dropping classics every other week. smh
    Lol.. ? expect 12 classic.. Crazy as that sounds, that's alot of the ? on here expectations..

It's probably because nigguhs expect Jay to have this illustrious catalog given his longevity and success in the game. Truth is, his catalog is average. Most of his albums don't stay in my rotation more than a week or two. There are some exceptions (RD, BP1, BA, AG).

Lmao what??? His catalog is average??? So it's just an average thing for rappers to be in the 3 classic range.... If that's average I would hate to see where you place ppls catalog who have "only" dropped a classic or two smh....boy oh boy

Reasonable Doubt - classic
    In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 - average
    Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life - average
    Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter - below average
    The Dynasty: Roc La Familia - average
    The Blueprint - classic
    The Best of Both Worlds - wtf is this ?
    The Blueprint 2: The Gift & The Curse - disappointingly average
    The Black Album - classic
    Unfinished Business - wtf is this ? again
    Kingdom Come - wack
    American Gangster - above average
    The Blueprint 3 - wack
    Watch the Throne - arguably average to above average
    Magna Carta Holy Grail - average

Nigguh got 15+ albums if you include the other related joints. If I take 20 shots from the freethrow line...I stand a good chance of at least hitting 3. If we keeping it real.....
    nah bruh, the word "hot" pretty much describes Jay Zs marketing strategy for every album and the media frenzy they always creates

^^^ .....this is pretty much what describes Jay's career. I'm not taking ? away from him. He makes good music when he wants to. He is a legend in the game for music, but moreso for his business acumen. Personally though....I find most of his albums devoid of replayability beyond a couple of weeks. Just my opinion though....and this is coming from a Jay fan since before RD.

• nex gin
    edited February 2014
    ok i cant...i just cant...the ? said u can ONLY consider like 3 or 4 of them classics like thats a bad thing lmao like ? phuckas is dropping classics every other week. smh

Just like Nas got 3 classics..But the average knock against his legacy is how inconsistent his discography is..Right?..but oh when it's Jay that logic is off limits and inaccurate ?

Nas is my favorite artist and I'll be the first to say that nigguh's discography is inconsistent as ? .....mostly due to questionable beat selection.

You use to at least be able to count on Jay for his lyrics, but post Black album even his lyrics have been average. Again, just my opinion though.
  • TrillRussell
    TrillRussell Members Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    the_r_ wrote: »
    bck145 wrote: »
    since when did jayz get 3 or 4 classics? i count 2

C/S...THERE'S REASONABLE DOUBT & THE BLUEPRINT

Black Album's A classic..AG's the debatable...

• Lebong James
    Lebong James Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, jay has more mediocre albums than good albums
  • TrillRussell

Just like Nas got 3 classics..But the average knock against his legacy is how inconsistent his discography is..Right?..but oh when it's Jay that logic is off limits and inaccurate ?

Nas is my favorite artist and I'll be the first to say that nigguh's discography is inconsistent as ? .....mostly due to questionable beat selection.

You use to at least be able to count on Jay for his lyrics, but post Black album even his lyrics have been average. Again, just my opinion though.

Nas is always Lyrically on point too..and I aint denying that his discography is inconsistent..But point is he has about same amount of classics as Jay in less attempts..So why is it ? can use inconsistency to demean Nas' legacy but when that same argument is used for Jay it's out of bounds?
  • nex gin

Nas is always Lyrically on point too..and I aint denying that his discography is inconsistent..But point is he has about same amount of classics as Jay in less attempts..So why is it ? can use inconsistency to demean Nas' legacy but when that same argument is used for Jay it's out of bounds?

You already know.....nigguhs be stanning for their favorite artist like them nigguhs are infallible or incapable of producing subpar work. I think some nigguhs criticize Nas cause "it's the thing to do"....? if I know. By like you said....realistically you can't ? on Nas w/o ? on Jay or most any other artist. At least Nas is always lyrically on point. You can't even say that about Jay. Jay been lyrically lackluster for the past 4/5 albums. He redeemed himself on AG after that debacle called Kingdom Come. Ye ? on him on WTT.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, jay has more mediocre albums than good albums

Mediocre but never boring.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014

Vol 1 & Vol 2 are just average??? Smh....wtf grading scale are you using??? If 95% of rappers released those albums they'd be praised as great albums but since jay dropped em they're average that's like lebron dropping a triple double and ppl saying it's just a ok game just cuz its lebron...

If we're really being honest the grading scale is different for jay then it is for other rappers so average for him would be above average for others....but if you believe his catalog is "average" who's catalog do you consider above average/great cuz I'm pretty sure jay's is right on par with who ever you can name
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

first i dont believe that neither nas nor jay has 3 classics. next i dont see jay legacy as being inconsistent. his legacy is one of the greatest rappers of all time. u dont get in the goat discussion by being inconsistent. the ? dropped albums year after year after when ? was taking 3 years in between albums. the ? became a face of hip hop. now its just cool to question jay's legacy cuz lets face it...dude damn near 50 and folks tired of seeing this old ? winning in a young man's game. so yup im one of those ? that say leave jay the ? alone. the ? should have a status like the rolling stones or bruce springsteen. ? like jay and nas (i will add) legacy shouldnt be questioned. we shouldnt try to break these ? down by saying o their catalogue is inconsistent. only in hip hop...smh
  • TrillRussell

first i dont believe that neither nas nor jay has 3 classics. next i dont see jay legacy as being inconsistent. his legacy is one of the greatest rappers of all time. u dont get in the goat discussion by being inconsistent. the ? dropped albums year after year after when ? was taking 3 years in between albums. the ? became a face of hip hop. now its just cool to question jay's legacy cuz lets face it...dude damn near 50 and folks tired of seeing this old ? winning in a young man's game. so yup im one of those ? that say leave jay the ? alone. the ? should have a status like the rolling stones or bruce springsteen. ? like jay and nas (i will add) legacy shouldnt be questioned. we shouldnt try to break these ? down by saying o their catalogue is inconsistent. only in hip hop...smh

Well I'm 1 of those ? that believes if A certain logic applies to 1 legend it should apply to all..So if we gone talk about how inconsistent other legends discography is then it should apply to Jay too..idgaf about that status ? ...If he got 8 albums of hit or miss music then that's just what it is..why should we ignore it or overlook it for him but it be ok to call other legends out on their shaky catalogue of music?..it's only fair
  • TrillRussell
    edited March 2014

Vol 1 & Vol 2 are just average??? Smh....wtf grading scale are you using??? If 95% of rappers released those albums they'd be praised as great albums but since jay dropped em they're average that's like lebron dropping a triple double and ppl saying it's just a ok game just cuz its lebron...

If we're really being honest the grading scale is different for jay then it is for other rappers so average for him would be above average for others....but if you believe his catalog is "average" who's catalog do you consider above average/great cuz I'm pretty sure jay's is right on par with who ever you can name

No disrespect bruh...but you do have A Rocafella chain in your avi..So i'm pretty sure you think everything he did was great
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay been active for 18 years. I'll be be conservative on the hot albums, and name the ones that most think were pretty good at least. I would put 2 more in there if it were up to me, but i'll be objective.

(96 - 06) RD, Vol. 1, BP, BA,(06 - Present) AG, WTT

(96 - 06) 4 (06 - Present) 2

2 Ten year periods to speak of.

4 + 2 = 6

6/2

3 Hot albums per ten year average.

The answer is No.

Gentlemen, I present to you. Math. Carry on

Ain't been 10 years. Besides people started since his retirement and return which would be 2004-2014.

I still think the answer is no.
  • semi-auto-mato

Well I'm 1 of those ? that believes if A certain logic applies to 1 legend it should apply to all..So if we gone talk about how inconsistent other legends discography is then it should apply to Jay too..idgaf about that status ? ...If he got 8 albums of hit or miss music then that's just what it is..why should we ignore it or overlook it for him but it be ok to call other legends out on their shaky catalogue of music?..it's only fair

im not sure what we are overlooking? u are not gonna like every album so because u dont like an album that means dude is inconsistent? u should respect status. status is earned not giving so that means if a ? earns the status of a legend then respect that. if u dont respect it then u dont respect hip hop at all.

there are legends who dont even have 8 albums.
  • Skip Dillenger
    Skip Dillenger Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

No disrespect bruh...but you do have A Rocafella chain in your avi..So i'm pretty sure you think everything he did was great

I feel you that Vol. 2 was average. What made that album his highest selling was the singles. "Hard Knock Life", "Can I Get A...", "N**** What, N**** Who (Originator '99)", "Money Ain't A Thing" (Bonus track) and "Money Cash H***". The rest of that the album was teetering average to below-average. Vol. 1 is difficult to judge because the album cuts were so strong, even the street singles. The two tracks that ? it up are "I Know What Girls Like" and "(Always Be My) Sunshine". But you can't deny the rest of the LP makes it above-average. "Streets Is Watching", "Where I'm From", "Lucky Me", "The City Is Mine", "A Million and One Questions/Rhyme No More", and "You Must Love Me" rank amongst the Top 20 to 25 tracks he's made in his career in my opinion.
  • TrillRussell

im not sure what we are overlooking? u are not gonna like every album so because u dont like an album that means dude is inconsistent? u should respect status. status is earned not giving so that means if a ? earns the status of a legend then respect that. if u dont respect it then u dont respect hip hop at all.

Just like Nas,2pac,Cube,And Em have legendary statuses.....but people call them out all the time for their discography outside of their unarguable classics..So why is Jay off limits?..Jay aint godly..If it's cool to call other legends out then he's not exempt from the same treatment..that's all i'm saying
  • semi-auto-mato

Just like Nas,2pac,Cube,And Em have legendary statuses.....but people call them out all the time for their discography outside of their unarguable classics..So why is Jay off limits?..Jay aint godly..If it's cool to call other legends out then he's not exempt from the same treatment..that's all i'm saying

and i say to u to be different. its like warren sapp saying strahan dont deserve to be in the hall. the ? is a the sack leader. he put that work in to be in the hall. it dont matter what era, what team, what position. respect the ? work. respect all them ? u named up there. people call folks out because the lack respect, knowledge, and a genuine love for the culture so the try to break down all those who have contributed to culture in a great way by saying he aint that nice. he is average. dont be like them...smh

• Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

first time hearing this.....ever
  • TrillRussell

and i say to u to be different. its like warren sapp saying strahan dont deserve to be in the hall. the ? is a the sack leader. he put that work in to be in the hall. it dont matter what era, what team, what position. respect the ? work. respect all them ? u named up there. people call folks out because the lack respect, knowledge, and a genuine love for the culture so the try to break down all those who have contributed to culture in a great way by saying he aint that nice. he is average. dont be like them...smh

And I respect your stance..but i'm mainly speaking to the stans and hypocrites that use that logic when it comes to other legends in the game but when that same logic comes back to bite their favorite rapper they catch feelings..
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So am I the only ? that took points away from the black album after he came back
  • semi-auto-mato
    ericb4prez wrote: »
    So am I the only ? that took points away from the black album after he came back

nope...the whole this is my farewell album and im retiring thing gave the black album a special feel. its still a great album imo but i felt a lil different about it when he came back.

• TrillRussell

? took that "1 Hot album every 10 year average" line fired at Nas and made it the bible when pertaining to his discography...stop it bruh lol
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Jay has two classics.

Plus two hot albums.

The Takeover equation never made sense to begin with considering the time period.
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO Jay has not got any classics. After I hear a few tracks into any of his albums I feel nauseous. Just the way he raps and the lack of emotion behind his words. Some of the beats are good, but he not to be praised for them.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

? took that "1 Hot album every 10 year average" line fired at Nas and made it the bible when pertaining to his discography...stop it bruh lol

i never heard even the most delusional jay stan share those sentiments towards nas's discography
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thr answer to your question is yeah