Does Jay Z Have A "One Hot Album Every 10 Year Average"?

Comments

• KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Fairfax "Tell em why you mad, son"
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GetoBoy wrote: »

Vol 1 & Vol 2 are just average??? Smh....wtf grading scale are you using??? If 95% of rappers released those albums they'd be praised as great albums but since jay dropped em they're average that's like lebron dropping a triple double and ppl saying it's just a ok game just cuz its lebron...

If we're really being honest the grading scale is different for jay then it is for other rappers so average for him would be above average for others....but if you believe his catalog is "average" who's catalog do you consider above average/great cuz I'm pretty sure jay's is right on par with who ever you can name

No disrespect bruh...but you do have A Rocafella chain in your avi..So i'm pretty sure you think everything he did was great

That's what's wrong with IC ? think you gotta be a stan just cuz your a fan....my avi don't mean I think everything the man does is great but to say his albums aren't hot and are just average means you don't move past the IC or your grading them on a different scale from other rappers which is backwards to grade a rappers albums on an above average scale but then call them average or not hot

How is Jay Graded on A higher scale when ? do the same ? to other legends on the IC daily?but it's ok then right?..? can hurl piles of ? on other rappers legacies and catalogues that did just as much for the game as Jay if not more..and get laughs and cosigns from it..but Oh when somebody logically critiques Jay's body of work people wanna act like you disrespected ? ?nah bruh

You're kinda buggin buddy ...? do that to everybody on here ain't no sacred lambs ...... That's why each artist has his coalition ....the worst of which being those stinking ass NASTIALITES ...you can never trust a ? down low NASTIALITE

NEVERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vol 1 & Vol 2 are just average??? Smh....wtf grading scale are you using??? If 95% of rappers released those albums they'd be praised as great albums but since jay dropped em they're average that's like lebron dropping a triple double and ppl saying it's just a ok game just cuz its lebron...

If we're really being honest the grading scale is different for jay then it is for other rappers so average for him would be above average for others....but if you believe his catalog is "average" who's catalog do you consider above average/great cuz I'm pretty sure jay's is right on par with who ever you can name

No disrespect bruh...but you do have A Rocafella chain in your avi..So i'm pretty sure you think everything he did was great

That's what's wrong with IC ? think you gotta be a stan just cuz your a fan....my avi don't mean I think everything the man does is great but to say his albums aren't hot and are just average means you don't move past the IC or your grading them on a different scale from other rappers which is backwards to grade a rappers albums on an above average scale but then call them average or not hot

How is Jay Graded on A higher scale when ? do the same ? to other legends on the IC daily?but it's ok then right?..? can hurl piles of ? on other rappers legacies and catalogues that did just as much for the game as Jay if not more..and get laughs and cosigns from it..but Oh when somebody logically critiques Jay's body of work people wanna act like you disrespected ? ?nah bruh

Bra you keep talking bout what everybody does to everybody else which is changing up the discussion...I've never heard anybody say nas catalog is average or pac or cube unless they were trolling....and to say jay ain't graded on a higher scale ? you bugging all the goats are if Ross were to drop vol 1 you'd be calling it fire if ja rule were to drop something like vol 2 you'd call it above average etc....its the same thing with all the goats...you ain't gotta like a ? albums to give them their do credit cuz that's when it turns from opinion to hate..
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    I tried to listen to mchg but I wasn't feelin it. I don't think he did anything revolutionary with that album. It seems to me like Jay jacks his sound from Kanye and other newer rappers if anything. And Kanye was the reason watch the throne was hot. Kanye made the blueprint a classic back in 01 and that's Hovs goto guy when he's fallin off.
  • MirrorzMusic
    MirrorzMusic Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    American Gangster>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kingdom Come/BP3/MCHG/WTT
  • onthafly
    Sion wrote: »
    I think Hov is more of a businessman than a rapper tho, he's just good at covering that. Yall ever notice that Hov never drops an album without sponsors to back it ? Blueprint 2 he had the major sneaker deal with Reebok & Roc Tha Mic tour, Black Album he sold Rocawear for 204 mil and "retired", Kingdom Come was the album to fulfill his obligation to Def Jam & return plus he got the Budweiser deal and a liquor deal for Armand De Bregnac/Ace of Spades, American Gangster he got a big ass pay check from the movie studio to promote the album and his album was the soundtrack to it. Blueprint 3 he got the LiveNation deal for $150 million dropped the Decoded book, got married, and announced he was doing WTT with Kanye. MCHG he had the Samsung deal and all that.

I don't think Jay cares about dropping a "GREAT" album, it just has to be a superior product that he's pleased with that he knows yall will eat up and will satisfy his corporate sponsors sales wise. There's nothing wrong with that but when you have obligations to other organizations it's hard to drop music that is going to be critically acclaimed consistently and true to an artist's vision. That's why he did AG and it was so well received by critics cuz it was on music he grew up on and wasn't anyone to tell him to watch what he say cuz the theme of the music was consistent w/ how he felt.

That's also why Kanye West can drop albums and have such a consistent catalog of "classics". Ye don't have 101 sponsors to please backing him. He just has the label and b/c of who he is they're not gonna tell him how to make a Kanye album. If Hov wasn't so heavy into business and doing that he'd have more classic albums.

Agreed. And that whole 11 or 12 number one albums or whatever number he's at now is clearly only because he drops his albums when nobody else is dropping anything. He dropped the blueprint 3 back when the other other competition at the time was a lil boosie album so of course it was gonna be a number one album.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, and Jay is the G.O.A.T.

• onthafly
    Jay is nothing close to the G.O.A.T. He can't even rhyme like common sense.
  • onthafly
    I'll say this though. Jay said he wasn't a rapper in heart of the city. He wasn't lying and it shows. If he really cared about being a rapper he could stop dummin his stuff down at this point in his career. Trying to get mass appeal to sell records wouldn't be the main focus of a real rapper if he was already worth 450 mil.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did it ever occur to anyone that when someone says dumb down he is not talking about hip hop fans but pop culture. dumb down the music to have lil white suburban kids buying his music and doubling his dollars while they run around the schools trying to be lil wayne, jay z, nas, and every other rapper they look up too. dumbing down the music gave hip hip the ability to go global. ? been dumbing down the music long before jay z. u dumb something down to get the attention of the ignorant. the ignorant here would be the mainstream/pop culture so in order for hip hop to grow we had to dumb the music down to sucker them ? in to backing us. 99.9% of artist have dumb down there music just to get a damn deal.

every damn genre dumbs the music down
  • stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah they just can admit hov the goat I mean if ti an jeezy made a album or Wayne an Ross Kendrick an cole we would never here the end of its goatness. If nas would have dropped mchg imagine all the goat threads to follow. Which I won't be suprised if a lot of rappers follow those two blueprints soon. I have to agree if Jay-Z dropped anything it will get hate. He does ? that hasn't been done before, yet still shade thrown? Come on stop it ask all the producers who worked w jay or on mchg who the goat is watch what they say.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    housemouse wrote: »
    I think Hov is more of a businessman than a rapper tho, he's just good at covering that. Yall ever notice that Hov never drops an album without sponsors to back it ? Blueprint 2 he had the major sneaker deal with Reebok & Roc Tha Mic tour, Black Album he sold Rocawear for 204 mil and "retired", Kingdom Come was the album to fulfill his obligation to Def Jam & return plus he got the Budweiser deal and a liquor deal for Armand De Bregnac/Ace of Spades, American Gangster he got a big ass pay check from the movie studio to promote the album and his album was the soundtrack to it. Blueprint 3 he got the LiveNation deal for $150 million dropped the Decoded book, got married, and announced he was doing WTT with Kanye. MCHG he had the Samsung deal and all that.

I don't think Jay cares about dropping a "GREAT" album, it just has to be a superior product that he's pleased with that he knows yall will eat up and will satisfy his corporate sponsors sales wise. There's nothing wrong with that but when you have obligations to other organizations it's hard to drop music that is going to be critically acclaimed consistently and true to an artist's vision. That's why he did AG and it was so well received by critics cuz it was on music he grew up on and wasn't anyone to tell him to watch what he say cuz the theme of the music was consistent w/ how he felt.

That's also why Kanye West can drop albums and have such a consistent catalog of "classics". Ye don't have 101 sponsors to please backing him. He just has the label and b/c of who he is they're not gonna tell him how to make a Kanye album. If Hov wasn't so heavy into business and doing that he'd have more classic albums.

Agreed. And that whole 11 or 12 number one albums or whatever number he's at now is clearly only because he drops his albums when nobody else is dropping anything. He dropped the blueprint 3 back when the other other competition at the time was a lil boosie album so of course it was gonna be a number one album.

i cant believe people still make this point with a straight face
    its always jay is avoiding competition on release dates instead of competition avoiding him
    fact is jay dropped on the same day as outkast twice, black star, r. kelly, mariah carey, bob dylan, nickelback, snoop, g-unit at the height of 50's popularity, etc. and still recorded number ones

no other rappers gets discredited for dropping number ones albums. why single out jay?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Yea, and Jay is the G.O.A.T.

• onthafly
    did it ever occur to anyone that when someone says dumb down he is not talking about hip hop fans but pop culture. dumb down the music to have lil white suburban kids buying his music and doubling his dollars while they run around the schools trying to be lil wayne, jay z, nas, and every other rapper they look up too. dumbing down the music gave hip hip the ability to go global. ? been dumbing down the music long before jay z. u dumb something down to get the attention of the ignorant. the ignorant here would be the mainstream/pop culture so in order for hip hop to grow we had to dumb the music down to sucker them ? in to backing us. 99.9% of artist have dumb down there music just to get a damn deal.

Did it ever occur to you that we already know that? We know he's dumbin it down for white suburban kids but when's the last time Jay-Z dropped a mixtape for real hip hop fans? My point is that Jay-Z is at a point financially where he doesn't need to reach out to the masses of white suburban children anymore unless every day is just about another dollar to him. I understand that hip hop artists and artists of every genre go commercial to get mainstream appeal but some artists who are more passionate about the music than they are the money choose not to go that route and continue to be independent. Take Tech N9ne for example. He just recently within the last few years reached a million record sales with all of his albums collectively since 1999. I don't even think he's seen a gold record. He does it for the art and doesn't water down his music to get commercial appeal. I don't expect every artist to make that choice but when you've already got a net worth of around 450 mil and your name alone could sell a mediocre record, then you could throw us real hip hop fans a bone if you were really about makin hip hop music.
  • onthafly
    edited March 2014

its always jay is avoiding competition on release dates instead of competition avoiding him
    fact is jay dropped on the same day as outkast twice, black star, r. kelly, mariah carey, bob dylan, nickelback, snoop, g-unit at the height of 50's popularity, etc. and still recorded number ones

no other rappers gets discredited for dropping number ones albums. why single out jay?

Because he made himself a target by bragging about it and because both you and I know that bp3 wouldn't have been a number one album had it dropped at the same time as a Kanye or Eminem album which easily outsells a Jay-Z album any day of the week. Check the numbers. Not saying none of his albums are worthy of being number one albums but Kingdom Come was garbage and he's been mediocre since he came back from retirement. Jay-Z goes platinum but he rarely goes double or triple platinum. And just out of curiosity, which albums did Jay drop at the same time as any of the artists that you mentioned?
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did it ever occur to you that we already know that? We know he's dumbin it down for white suburban kids but when's the last time Jay-Z dropped a mixtape for real hip hop fans? My point is that Jay-Z is at a point financially where he doesn't need to reach out to the masses of white suburban children anymore unless every day is just about another dollar to him. I understand that hip hop artists and artists of every genre go commercial to get mainstream appeal but some artists who are more passionate about the music than they are the money choose not to go that route and continue to be independent. Take Tech N9ne for example. He just recently within the last few years reached a million record sales with all of his albums collectively since 1999. I don't even think he's seen a gold record. He does it for the art and doesn't water down his music to get commercial appeal. I don't expect every artist to make that choice but when you've already got a net worth of around 450 mil and your name alone could sell a mediocre record, then you could throw us real hip hop fans a bone if you were really about makin hip hop music.

if u understand the phrase dumb it down and why it was coined in the early 1900s then u wouldnt say something like do it for the art. u would understand that dumbing it down in the musical sense would be about the art. the art itself can not progress without the backing. so u have to dumb it down for upward mobility. jay didnt start that everyone does it even tech n9ne. pac, nas, biggie, hell lupe, common, 50 cent...all them ? do it. difference is ? get mad when u make a certain amount of money.

hip hop had went commercial when the sugar hill gang dropped...smh...they dumbed it down for the upward mobility
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Hov is more of a businessman than a rapper tho, he's just good at covering that. Yall ever notice that Hov never drops an album without to back it ? Blueprint 2 he had the major sneaker deal with Reebok & Roc Tha Mic tour, Black Album he sold Rocawear for 204 mil and "retired", Kingdom Come was the album to fulfill his obligation to Def Jam & return plus he got the Budweiser deal and a liquor deal for Armand De Bregnac/Ace of Spades, American Gangster he got a big ass pay check from the movie studio to promote the album and his album was the soundtrack to it. Blueprint 3 he got the LiveNation deal for $150 million dropped the Decoded book, got married, and announced he was doing WTT with Kanye. MCHG he had the Samsung deal and all that.

Raekwon Only built4 Cuban linx 2 came out the same day as BP3
  • GetoBoy

As big of a jay fan as I am THIS argument I can totally agree with..... It wouldn't ? jay to just drop one totally hip hop album who knows tho maybe he's saving that for his exit...I'll wait till he drops his last album b4 I complain about not receiving one more straight hip hop album tho
  • Already Home_17

Because he made himself a target by bragging about it and because both you and I know that bp3 wouldn't have been a number one album had it dropped at the same time as a Kanye or Eminem album which easily outsells a Jay-Z album any day of the week. Check the numbers. Not saying none of his albums are worthy of being number one albums but Kingdom Come was garbage and he's been mediocre since he came back from retirement. Jay-Z goes platinum but he rarely goes double or triple platinum. And just out of curiosity, which albums did Jay drop at the same time as any of the artists that you mentioned?

out of jay's 12 solo albums, only 3 sold less than 2 million

there's only 1 artist that has more number 1 albums than jay i believe. as a hip hop artist is that not one hell of an accomplishment?

jay's first week sales on average is the same if not higher than kanye's. the only big name artist kanye went up against is 50. impressive victory nonetheless. em? no other rap act will outsell eminem in the first week. then again not many rappers are outselling jay in that aspect either

vol. 2 and aquemini dropped on the same day

dynasty and stankonia dropped on the same day

blueprint, dylan's love & theft,nickelback and carey's glitter dropped on 9/11/01

black album and beg for mercy dropped on the same day

kingdom come and snoops blue carpet treatment dropped on the same day

i stand corrected with r. kelly's R and black star going head to head with jay but the rest are accurate

• GetoBoy

If you don't think jay could outsell ye you bugging....hell ain't j.cole out selling ye and didn't mchg just go double if you could the milli have gave away??? This whole jay needs to check the landscape of music and make sure he drop his album the same day as others is dumb....when it comes to number ones in hip hop he's the big dog right now why should he have to go challenge others if they wanna break that steak they know his release date why ain't they dropping on his date??? Ye did it with 50 to challenge him....Cole did it with ye why ain't nobody doing it with jay why is it on him to go out find somebody release date cuz last time I've checked I haven't seen jay switch up a treks m release date yet if he say he dropping he he dropping anybody that what that first week challenge its there for them
  • TrillRussell
    TrillRussell Members Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭

Bra you keep talking bout what everybody does to everybody else which is changing up the discussion...I've never heard anybody say nas catalog is average or pac or cube unless they were trolling....and to say jay ain't graded on a higher scale ? you bugging all the goats are if Ross were to drop vol 1 you'd be calling it fire if ja rule were to drop something like vol 2 you'd call it above average etc....its the same thing with all the goats...you ain't gotta like a ? albums to give them their do credit cuz that's when it turns from opinion to hate..

You aint say all greats were graded on a higher scale..you said Jay himself was graded on a higher scale..Like he just head and shoulders above every rapper that ever did it..and that's ?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

there's only 1 artist that has more number 1 albums than jay i believe. as a hip hop artist is that not one hell of an accomplishment?

jay's first week sales on average is the same if not higher than kanye's. the only big name artist kanye went up against is 50. impressive victory nonetheless. em? no other rap act will outsell eminem in the first week. then again not many rappers are outselling jay in that aspect either

blueprint, dylan's love & theft,nickelback and carey's glitter dropped on 9/11/01

i stand corrected with r. kelly's R and black star going head to head with jay but the rest are accurate

I'm pretty sure Beg For Mercy and The Black Album were 1 week apart.
  • Already Home_17
    5 Grand wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Beg For Mercy and The Black Album were 1 week apart.

Cf9Hmfku_original.jpg
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know what? That Wikipedia link is wrong. I remember when those albums came out. They were a week apart and G-Unit outsold Jay Z. I remember when it happened cause me and the people I worked with were saying that 'people like 50 Cent more than they like Jay Z because G Unit sold more'
  • GetoBoy

You aint say all greats were graded on a higher scale..you said Jay himself was graded on a higher scale..Like he just head and shoulders above every rapper that ever did it..and that's ?

Well this thread is about jay....didn't know I needed to literally spell it out for you kinda thought you would have got the point of my post....whether you wanna admit it or not jay music is graded on a higher scale then damn near any other rapper so to call his music below average on a scale where if another artist were to drop it would be credited with a great album is just backwards