The Last of Us Movie

achewon87
achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
Screen Gems, the studio behind the Resident Evil film franchise, will bring another video game to the big screen. The studio announced today they've sealed a deal to distribute the feature film version of Naughty Dog's PS3 title The Last of Us, a screen adaptation which will count Spider-Man and Evil Dead veteran Sam Raimi amongst its producers.

The movie's screenplay will be penned by Neil Druckmann, the Creative Director for the game, who will also produce the film along with Raimi and his Ghost House Pictures company, Naughty Dog Co-Presidents' Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra, and Game Director Bruce Straley.

Rumblings about Sony, the parent company of Screen Gems, mulling a movie adaptation of The Last of Us surfaced last fall when they registered domain names for a potential film.

"Our partnership with Sam Raimi, Ghost House Pictures, and Screen Gems to develop a film based on The Last of Us universe is a perfect fit," said Wells in a statement. "Since our game released last June, we've talked with many companies about making a film, but we couldn't have found better partners who share our creative vision and high standards. We look forward to collaborating with Sam, his team, and Screen Gems, to make a movie that will thrill fans of The Last of Us and general audiences worldwide."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/03/06/screen-gems-to-distribute-sam-raimi-produced-the-last-of-us-movie

Comments

• kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oscar winning movie off the rip
  • achewon87
    I wonder if he will do a direct adaptation or a story based around the original...

I would prefer if they kept as true to the source material as possible...

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I think it might be another story set in the last of us universe
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Bcotton5
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Walking Dead

Not even close to being the same
  • achewon87
    Clickers>>Walkers
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk ..i just hope they dont ? it up
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    This has a chance to be solid, at least. They have the main writer of the game penning the script and the director of the game along with other ND people and Sam Raimi are producing so at the very least, it should be faithful to the game. If they can secure a good director, cinematographer and budget; this might actually be the first legitimately good video game film adaption. It'd be nice if they could get Gustavo Santaolalla to score the film, too.
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about this. Games turned into movies usually suck. Never cared for the Resident Evil or Tomb Raider movies. But if the story is as good as it was in the game it might work out. Wasn't there an inFamous move in the works?

Prince of Persia is one of the only good ones.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Made by the people that made RE? We know how that ? turned out. After the first one it was pretty much ? .
  • achewon87
    Made by the people that made RE? We know how that ? turned out. After the first one it was pretty much ? .

I would say they all kind of sucked in comparison to the game...

I won't buy into the hype but Sam Raimi producing and the original writer of the game is doing the script so it's promising...

If they keep the original story who would you like to see cast as Joel & Ellie?
  • Bcotton5
    Ellen Paige I think her name is, the girl Ellie was based on
  • achewon87
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

She might have burned her bridge, she wanted to sue ND over Ellie...
  • Bcotton5
    achewon87 wrote: »

MMM!
  • stoneface

achewon87 wrote: »

Yeah, even if she wanted to, I doubt the ND folks would want her in the movie anyway.

• stoneface
    I hope this film doesn't turn out to be just a re-enactment of the events and story of the game. I'd rather it be a different story that supports and fleshes out the game's universe. With the game's setting and premise, they could tell a thousand different, interesting stories involving different people in the same world.
  • achewon87
    So it's looking like a straight up adaptation of the game...

The Last of Us creator Neil Druckmann has spoken about the upcoming movie, a potential sequel, and what DLC remains.

Talking to IGN during last night's BAFTA Game Awards 2014, at which The Last of Us picked up five awards, Druckmann began by clarifying the upcoming The Last of Us movie will be an adaptation of the game, though how it'll be realised is unclear.

"It’s an adaptation of the story of The Last of Us," he confirmed. "As far as where we go and how we make it fit into a film, how it takes into account the unique properties of film... We’re not sure yet. We’re only just scratching the surface."

Druckmann went on to confirm that we should expect another piece of multiplayer DLC to arrive shortly, which will be the third that counts as part of the Season Pass. Following this, we asked if the rumoured Last of Us sequel had progressed beyond the brainstorming stage, but it appears Naughty Dog has no plans to rush anything.

"We don’t know yet," Druckmann said. "We're still trying to figure it out. We’re brainstorming some stuff, so we’ll see where that goes."

We previously heard rumours that a sequel to The Last of Us was already in development, though it seems nothing solid has been decided.

Last week, Troy Baker, the man responsible for bringing Joel to life in The Last of Us, revealed he'd be interested in reprising his role for the movie if asked, and urged fans to trust in Druckmann's vision. He's equally as interested in returning for a sequel, should Joel once again feature.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/03/13/druckmann-confirms-the-last-of-us-movie-is-game-adaptation